Old 17 October 2011, 16:47   #1

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Where can i store my boat?

Hi,

i am new to boating and I want to be able to use my boat all year round. i like the idea of dry stacks but the price turns my away ( I got quotes for the 2k mark with a 23ft boat)

i do have a trailer so is there somewhere within 30 min drive from southampton that would let me just keep my trailer there and ideally have a launch ramp? i am not looking to spend all the money i have saved up for fuel on it though

EDIT: someone just told me about a swinging mooring? they seem really cheap, what's the safety like there? ( i will have a outboard)
I would keep it at my drive but it took us over 3 hours to get it in, no idea how we are going to get it out
Old 17 October 2011, 18:50   #2

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
Hi,

i am new to boating and I want to be able to use my boat all year round. i like the idea of dry stacks but the price turns my away ( I got quotes for the 2k mark with a 23ft boat)

i do have a trailer so is there somewhere within 30 min drive from southampton that would let me just keep my trailer there and ideally have a launch ramp? i am not looking to spend all the money i have saved up for fuel on it though

EDIT: someone just told me about a swinging mooring? they seem really cheap, what's the safety like there? ( i will have a outboard)
I would keep it at my drive but it took us over 3 hours to get it in, no idea how we are going to get it out

if the £2k seems is for a drystack for a year with unlimited launching, it seems cheap to me

you could try Drivers Dry Berthing in southampton, a monthly storage fee and a pay per crane launch works out cheaper for me than drystack, but i assume £3k for drystack around there

If I could get drystack in southampton for £2k, year round with unlimited launching, i'd be doing that without a doubt

but it's a far cry from the cost of a swinging mooring which will not be as secure
Old 17 October 2011, 20:09   #3

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
I am still doing my GCSES so finding a weekend job that lets me spend 2k a year alone on storage is a hard task.
There is a swinging mooring at Fareham for about £700. What is the insurance like on a swinging mooring? Providing i have insurance i wouldn't think security is too much of an issue?
Old 17 October 2011, 20:19   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Security on a mooring is as good as the knife it takes to cut the mooring rope! I imagine if you go to the Swinging mooring where you boat is on another boat then you can help yourself to whatever is on the moored boat

Lynhurst is not too far away from Lymington last time I looked with practice you can launch and recover in 20 mins

You can ry Solent Breezes they use to rent boat space and had there own slipway. Its a residential caravan holiday park near Warsash
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 20:33   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Security on a mooring is as good as the knife it takes to cut the mooring rope! I imagine if you go to the Swinging mooring where you boat is on another boat then you can help yourself to whatever is on the moored boat
But to be fair its not much better in many boat yards! There are things you can do to reduce the risk in both cases, but at the end of the day insurance it the only real guarantee he'll not loose out too much.

Some insurance policies will not let you keep it afloat all year. Others will, and in the right place won't be much more expensive. But you will then need to think about (1) bilge pumps and keeping batteries charged (2) stopping shite-hawks from covering your boat in guano (an ebay cover may not be easy to fit afloat) (3) how you get to and from your mooring (4) antifouling.

Not meaning to be dismissive to our younger members, but RIB ownership is not cheap and I'm not convinced many people still at school can afford the true cost of ownership - especially on the south coast. However working out that the cost of storage, repairs, fuel, insurance, training/toys, all adds up to a scary number is all part of growing up.
Old 17 October 2011, 21:01   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
all of the above is true and worth considering, you can chain your boat to mooring it will help, one plus is that you won't get some tosser WALKING off with your engine. A rib will float even full of water, if you rig it with this in mind people are less likely to nick it and providing you have thought of a way to pump it out and connect your battery it shouldn't be so bad, it will need a bit of thought though
Old 17 October 2011, 22:32   #7

You could always try and join a boat club
Old 18 October 2011, 05:30   #8

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I left my RIB on a mooring and it never took much harm. It was covered in gull sh!t though so I got a cover which was a right pain in the @rse.
For £2000 you can't go wrong with the dry stack.
Old 18 October 2011, 06:24   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Hi,

:
I believe Powerboats on this forum has a secure yard just near M27, try e mailing him
Old 18 October 2011, 07:56   #10

Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I believe Ashlett sailing club has cheap rates and it's just a short hop to calshot to launch if necessary (the creek tidal range is interesting).

Ashlett Sailing Club
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 08:21   #11

Have a look at the website StolenBoats.org.uk :: Free directory of Stolen Boats :: Boat Insurance :: Marine Security and have a good read through. The 2k for the Dry Stack is worth it for peace of mind plus it keeps your boat cleaner and is great if you like using your boat alot. From LyndHurst I guess best place would be Southampton or Lymington or Poole.
Old 18 October 2011, 09:45   #12

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Hi there,

If you have a trailer and a tow vehicle and someone willing to drive it for you then you could consider politely enquiring at local farms. Try finding a farm which is secluded from the main roads etc where they might rent you a space in the corner of their yard or even better (if you're lucky) in a barn. You might find your boat gets dusty and mucky from working activities on the farm, but you can usually find something substantial to chain it upto (with the farmers permission - they may need to move it from time to time!) but it can work out very cheap. I was paying £10 per week which was often paid in a few scallops or a few fish :-) £520 per year isn't so bad but then add up fuel costs for towing it to the slip, trailer wear and tear and maintenance (wheel bearings etc) slipway fees and time it takes from collection to launch. This can easily add up...

As previously said its not a cheap hobby, but its fun!
Old 23 October 2011, 21:27   #13

Town: Hook Warsash. Hants
Boat name: 7Day$
Make: Brig Eagle 650
Engine: Suzuki DF200ap
Chatted to a guy at my marina (Premier, Swanwick) who keeps a 5m Rib on a trailer in the compound for £30 a month.......just tows it to the slip at just next door which is free and has a free car park.
Worth a phone call to Premier to see if they have any winter deals.
Old 23 October 2011, 21:52   #14

Its full up go away! It's 37 quid a month and a great Marina but the compound is full. I have suggested they build another one as It's as secure there as it can be.

Who were you chatting to did he have a red Volvo c30 (catjasp) or a very old Patrol (me)
Old 23 October 2011, 23:33   #15

Town: Hook Warsash. Hants
Boat name: 7Day$
Make: Brig Eagle 650
Engine: Suzuki DF200ap
LOL...Sorry can't remeber who it was just saw the guy with another lady working on his rib and asked how much he was being charged....thought he said £30 which I thought was very cheap considering the security and the ease of launcjing with the slip next door. The rib is the one keeped on the left as you go in so if thats yours it was you!....mine is on its trailer now and kept down in the visitors car park hoping to bring it home next week for a major refit... will keep and eye out for an Patrol and come and say Hi.
Old 24 October 2011, 07:47   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk18484 View Post
LOL...Sorry can't remeber who it was just saw the guy with another lady working on his rib and asked how much he was being charged....thought he said £30 which I thought was very cheap considering the security and the ease of launcjing with the slip next door. The rib is the one keeped on the left as you go in so if thats yours it was you!....mine is on its trailer now and kept down in the visitors car park hoping to bring it home next week for a major refit... will keep and eye out for an Patrol and come and say Hi.
It was 30 quid but it's gone up a little this month, still a good deal and they definitely have the security balance right.......I think that must have been Jasper you were talking too!
Old 24 October 2011, 09:47   #17

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
For what it's worth, it took me the best part of an entire afternoon to get mine into the garage first time.

After some adjustments to the surrounding "scenery" & a few trips to get the hang of what I need to line up with what as I reverse over the hump, I've got it down to a matter of 7.5 mins, of which > half is spent mucking about with the lighting board (but I'm working on that as well... )
Old 24 October 2011, 11:25   #18

Boat name: EXISA
Make: Predator
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
MMSI: 235089902
I've just put my new (well, new to me - I'll update my profile eventually) RIB into drystack in Southampton for just over £2k with all year round access. As I have young children the thought of not trying to achieve the whole trailer/slip/parking experience while the children "help " is worth at least 90% of that £2k. Factoring in the removal of the costs of running the trailer and the reduced insurance risk I don't think it's a bad deal overall. Furthermore the guys are the drystack are really helpful and have excellent contacts to deal with those ineviable problems (lots of water in the fuel this weekend ). I suppose my main driver is the ease of getting onto the water means I will ultimately use the boat more frequently, thus dividing the cost betwen more time on the water.