Old 25 January 2007, 18:29   #21

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 603doug View Post
I have been diving with quads and paras for years in all kind of seas, never in a rib thou anxious to try, a friend (para) is going to make our maiden trip this spring. Chairs have wedged into the dive boats (against the tank rack etc.) we have been on and not had a problem. The larger the rib probably the better the ride for a chair. My rib will do 40mph and I can not open it up with my wife aboard (she is able body) so we will adjust the speed to the need chair
wheelchair accessible dive boat in the red sea - liveabord

http://www.blueotwo.com/mybluehorizon_hls.htm

I am booked for may
Old 25 January 2007, 23:22   #22

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Hi Tim, my point about bringing out the wheel hair i think was covered by colin F, they are expensive and I would agree about the saltwater damaging them.
I think whilst many of us are guessing, I think Colin F has a handle on it,
Thanks Colin F.

I have bought a Ballistic (or nearly) with a transom seat and the reason for me going for this one is that my younger kids (and most likely my wife if she gets over the last outing). I could not put the m in Jockey seats (nor will I be giving it holly with them on board either).
I much more prefer the idea of the Ballistic with the two jockeys and transom and that is why I am buying that one.

By the way colin F, there is a great Sailing experience with the Jubilee Trust where a large Square rig is able to take Wheel chair users out on a sailing voyage a week long. I know that Rotary Intl get involved in this and if you need any info, e-mail me.

Well done for getting over your set back and getting out there.

Aidan
Old 30 January 2007, 21:22   #23

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
My wife is an L1 para with use of her quadriceps. She can handle our 5.4 mR Searider with standard jockey console just fine. About a week ago I had a mid-T's para with no leg function whatsoever out on the boat for an afternoon. He boarded without assistance from a dock level with the top of the tubes, transferred to the jockey seat and held on to the grab lines. He absolutely loved the boat, was interested in buying a RIB after spending the day blasting around. He and his wife had been looking at pontoon boats and other worthless scrap, but loved the ride of the rib in the 10-15 knot breeze and related chop. He an I were the most secure when I underestimated the size of some powerboat wake and nearly got the rib airborne

During the course of the week of training, several of the paraplegic crew transferred off their sailboats to the coach's Zodiac POS and were scooting around the practice area while seated on the bench seat, while the coach took their place on the sailboat. It's really up to the ability of the individual and the conditions. I would be disinclined to put someone aboard in their chair.
Old 31 January 2007, 23:55   #24

Town: Verwood, Dorset
Boat name: Unfinished
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 mermaid
Hi my wife is a t12 l1 para so no feeling or use below the waist but she is rib mad and if she is coming i dont get a lookin when it comes to driving,
our last run out was a little lumpy and i couldn't keep up with her and i was on my jetski!.
if you can do it more often than not so can a para after all like my wife says all she cant do is walk.
dont worry just go have fun