Old 17 June 2010, 08:10   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
What's this radar reflector called?

Can anyone tell me what make/model it is? I'm trying to find a replacement online but not having much luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar refelector.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	51965  
Old 17 June 2010, 08:15   #2
RIBnet Supporter

And the Laziest Googler Award goes to...

http://www.sailgb.com/p/trilens_radar_reflectors/

Old 17 June 2010, 08:22   #3

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
As recommended by Codprawn ! Tim , note how they are mounted . I inverted mine to install under the arch of the A frame ( Just about room for the engine to tilt fully up ) , but the plastic bracket that the tri-lens came with was definitely not upto the job !
Old 17 June 2010, 09:51   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
We have three boats fitted with them. Two have currently dropped off and one is on its last legs. They're a bit rubbish. Nearly had a heart attack when I saw the price just then!
Old 17 June 2010, 16:54   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Tim, they are Tri-lens from Company: VIKING LIFE-SAVING EQUIPMENT Ltd.
Address: Hamble Court
Hamble Lane
Hamble
City: S031 4QL Southampton, Hants
Tel.: (+44) 2380 454184
Fax: (+44) 2380 454284
E-mail: vikingsth@viking-life.com
If buying several they will allow trade prices. Try them and see, we get these Lens from them. They make three sizes I believe
Old 17 June 2010, 20:18   #6

Town: bedford
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 60hp merc
It's a Tri-Lens and after much research bought one in the states for a quite reasonable price, I suspect that you could order one yourself using a company like west marine who deliver internationally if you go on their website. When I was looking they seemed to have the best reviews for a passive unit.

I did really build my own bracket but its been on for about 4 years now.

How effective it is 'who knows'

dj
Old 24 June 2010, 12:33   #7

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Morpheus
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 130
Send a message via Skype™ to MarkL
Marine Super Store at Port Solent have them in stock.

I don't really have room for / want an Echomax dustbin on the a-frame so was looking at these yesterday.

If these aren't up to the job on a RIB as Tim would seem to suggest, can anyone recommend an alternative ? I'm currently thinking along the lines of the large useless Plastimo cylinder jobby cable-tied under the a-frame to satisfy the coding 'tick-box' and then adding an Echomax ActiveXS but at £700 it's making my eyes water a bit!
Old 24 June 2010, 14:03   #8
RIBnet supporter

All these passive radar reflectors are of low ability, in test the Tri Lens made the best figures when boats were healing so good for yachts, they faired better than the standard echomax, but the best are as you say items like "seame" which are connected to the boats battery and send out a signal so large craft and those with radar can easily spot you. I believe at least one Ribnet person sails the very large ships and can give a better understanding of what can be seen by the radar.(and those with radar fitted/knowledge) The cheap plastic units are as they say "cheap" and you may as well have ali foil to roll out.
I guess the only time we really need them would be in fog/mist/poor weather but we only fit them as they are a requirement of coding to have one on board. Some even leave them on board for hanging if they are needed.
Old 24 June 2010, 17:24   #9

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
Marine Super Store at Port Solent have them in stock.

I don't really have room for / want an Echomax dustbin on the a-frame so was looking at these yesterday.

If these aren't up to the job on a RIB as Tim would seem to suggest, can anyone recommend an alternative ? I'm currently thinking along the lines of the large useless Plastimo cylinder jobby cable-tied under the a-frame to satisfy the coding 'tick-box' and then adding an Echomax ActiveXS but at £700 it's making my eyes water a bit!

Mark,

I have a cyclops (trilens type...came top of tests...search on here for background). We operate near a test range (Aberporth) and they have no probs picking us up, so must work well.... http://www.cyclopstech.co.uk/

Know of a few coded ribs using the cheap ones to achieve coding....they faired really badly in the report i read....we can call upon the range /Aberporth to assist in S&R from the lifeboat. As such, my view is that its worth having a reflector that works!

They are difficult to get hold of /I think i remember hearing they now sell to the military only...could be wrong though.

Anyhoo....there was one for sale back in Feb this year here: http://bmbha.clicboard.com/sea-bay-f...-sale-t116.htm

Might be worth seeing if he still has it....they look pretty cool on your A frame too And yes, I know the allround white in the pic isn't 'all round' as it's too low....will be raising it shortly

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Razorbill on Pontoon With Passenger Seating.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	52210  

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2011, 19:59   #10

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Dragging this up as spotted a cyclops which has just come up on ebay here: Cyclops 2 radar reflector | eBay

4 days to go and £35.......

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2011, 21:01   #11

Town: Szczecin
Boat name: Aga B
Make: Atlantic 21
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x60HP Evinrude Etec
It looks nice when you need flat ones. I've seen those cheap plastimo tubes fitted horizontally on some boats (previous owner of my boat did it as well) - not too briliant idea. From sides it bounces back nay better than bottom of can of coke. I've seen even echomaxes and similar size pricey reflectors fitted that way - seem like waste of money when it doesnt work as it should from all the directions. I'm looking for someting reasonable for my a-frame now as well, more ideas appreciated. At the moment I'm between this thickest plastimo tube and echomax.
Old 21 July 2011, 04:11   #12

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
I fitted one of those this year. The alloy tube through the unit was threaded straight into my A-frame. 2 weeks ago (8th outing / 15 hours total perhaps) the tube cracked through at the threads and it fell over. Only the wire for the light mounted on top kept it onboard.

Richard
Old 21 July 2011, 06:40   #13

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kedzior View Post
At the moment I'm between this thickest plastimo tube and echomax.
Echomax, the plastimo tube type are a waste of money, space & time. If you are going to spend money & effort fitting one, it might as well be one that works.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2011, 10:42   #14

Town: Boat Lake Geneva
Boat name: Lark
Make: Capelli Cap 32 WA
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 250x2
MMSI: 235096621
Trilens, good reflecting qualities. MAIB did a test after Yacht Ozuo was tragically run over.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...s%20report.pdf

However, 1 fell off my rib in to the Thames after the mounting threads stripped but I was able to recover it. Last weekend it stripped the threads again and this time my reflector is sitting on the seabed in Start Bay. Awesome!!!

Richard
Old 21 July 2011, 10:56   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardjawilson View Post
Trilens, good reflecting qualities. MAIB did a test after Yacht Ozuo was tragically run over.

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources...s%20report.pdf

However, 1 fell off my rib in to the Thames after the mounting threads stripped but I was able to recover it. Last weekend it stripped the threads again and this time my reflector is sitting on the seabed in Start Bay. Awesome!!!

Richard
We found the same the Tri lens had a good write up and the first issues had useless mounting caps which as you said threaded and came of or split with vibration. The newer ones come with a metal cap which is painted rather than the white plastic and also a small amount of loctite holds the threaded cap in place. Lessons learnt we hope for the suppliers
Old 21 July 2011, 11:18   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
On mine it was the threads on the tube that runs through the unit that cracked, not the mount. The unit is probably too heavy for the tube when attached high up on an A-frame being bounced in all 3 dimensions across the waves on a RIB. I had a short aluminium extension pole up to the anchor light that would not have helped (but was not that heavy).

I have dremmelled out the broken tube (its just held inside the plastic case by the shoulder on the thread) and am considering sliding over a stainless Shakespeare antenna extension pole.

Richard