Old 19 June 2006, 18:02   #81

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
What Humbers have a deeper vee ?

I have a lot to learn here Thanks for all the help .

That Avon looks nice , but same engine as that one on ebay , again doesn't sound big enough for a 5.6 boat hence the price I guess . That avon would be a Grand more with a 90 4 stroke , and I have decided that I must have a 4 stroke . Iam doing lots of miles in the sib so a bigger boat will only mean more miles .
Since its mainly with the family I wont have crew to share the cost and using £100 of petrol and oil most weekends would soon take the fun out it .
Old 19 June 2006, 19:04   #82

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I think the Humbers with deeper Vee hull are the Attack, Destroyer and Ocean Pro. Their website may be able to tell more?
The good thing about looking for a boat at this time of year is that there's loads available. The bad thing is they sell for loads of dosh, as you're not the only guy looking to buy.
Keeping a keen eye open and having the cash ready to jump in quickly may pay dividends.
Happy hunting.
Old 21 June 2006, 22:39   #83

Valiant V490 with a mariner 75 elpt all 2000 and looks really cared for with service history.

Not sure about iether , would be powerful I guess and perhaps not too thirsty as it would cruise on less power .

I have been looking for a pic of a valiant hull and can't find one , is it a deep V or just semi .
I do like the boat good trailer and gps fish finder etc and the seating is good for the family .

Now spoil my nice picture folks , its crap??eh
Old 21 June 2006, 22:43   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
....and I have decided that I must have a 4 stroke .
Have you changed your mind on four strokes then?
Old 21 June 2006, 22:50   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Have you changed your mind on four strokes then?
Yes well maybe Iam dreaming . Everything I see with a 4 stroke is like a 50hp on a 5m plus boat . I guess its the super economy choice but I do want something faster than my sib . This one looks to be genuine with dealer service history .

It seems a boat with a decent 4 stroke all newer than 1999 is 9 grand plus and thats too much at present .
Old 21 June 2006, 23:02   #86

Well if you buy a boat with a 2-stroke for the right money, it will leave a fair bit in the pot to spend on petrol.
You may be in a good bargaining position - with more and more 4 strokes around nowadays, you may be able to argue that the motor will be noisy, expensive on fuel, etc.
I've seen a few Valiant 490s, but never been out on one. They look ok - think they have a moulded deck and if I recall, there were two versions: one in orange, kitted out in dive form, with centre console, the other in light grey, I think, with a bench seat? Which type have you seen?
I seem to recall they both shared the same basic hull, which I think had a reasonably deep vee. There's a few on B&O, at varying prices.
Old 21 June 2006, 23:15   #87
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Well if you buy a boat with a 2-stroke for the right money, it will leave a fair bit in the pot to spend on petrol.
You may be in a good bargaining position - with more and more 4 strokes around nowadays, you may be able to argue that the motor will be noisy, expensive on fuel, etc.
I've seen a few Valiant 490s, but never been out on one. They look ok - think they have a moulded deck and if I recall, there were two versions: one in orange, kitted out in dive form, with centre console, the other in light grey, I think, with a bench seat? Which type have you seen?
I seem to recall they both shared the same basic hull, which I think had a reasonably deep vee. There's a few on B&O, at varying prices.
Downhilldai is correct there are two types of Valiant: The Vanguards and the Patrols / DR. I believe the PT's are fitted out with jockeys as opposed to bench seating and may even have a deeper vee. The Vanguards such as you mention have a shallow vee and the bench seating is not ideal, a good friend of mine has a V520 and 75 Mariner 2stroke, not ideal, the seating does not inspire confidence and it seems to be a bit of a handful in the rough. I would try to find a Patrol if you go Valiant. These pics illustrate the difference quite well:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vangaurd.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	20326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	20327  
Old 21 June 2006, 23:23   #88

this one has a jockey console for the driver , that looks long enough for my daughter to sit behind me . It also has a bench across the stern and a good backrest with grab handle on the back of the jockey .
For me thats the best of both worlds .
The 75 is the max engine size for the boat. The boat is red I guess an older version of the newer grey ones that seem to have lost the jockey consul
Old 22 June 2006, 09:02   #89

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
ian

if you see a boat up this way that you want me to take a look at for you and maybe get a load of digital pics of then just say. i know it would be a long trip for you to just inspect a boat

brad could cover his area of south wales so we can do a bit of a foot print for you

just let me know
Old 22 June 2006, 11:16   #90
ADS

75HP on a V490 is going to be abit overpowered methinks. My mates V520 with 75hp is bad enough, chine walks like hell, had the engine moved several times but it still handles like a lilo. 60HP on a 490 is your best bet.
Old 22 June 2006, 15:33   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
ian

if you see a boat up this way that you want me to take a look at for you and maybe get a load of digital pics of then just say. i know it would be a long trip for you to just inspect a boat

brad could cover his area of south wales so we can do a bit of a foot print for you

just let me know

Thanks for the offer . This one is in cheshire , bit of a trip if its no good but not exactly on your doorsteps iether .

As for engine power the V490 is rated up to 80 hp on the valiant site . I agree it does sound a little overengined . But the 4.8 ribcraft can use a 75 , maybe the 490 is a little heavier ,
Old 22 June 2006, 15:37   #92
ADS

Quote:
Thanks for the offer . This one is in cheshire , bit of a trip if its no good but not exactly on your doorsteps iether .

As for engine power the V490 is rated up to 80 hp on the valiant site . I agree it does sound a little overengined . But the 4.8 ribcraft can use a 75 , maybe the 490 is a little heavier ,
I was under the impression that the Ribcraft 4.8 could only take a 60HP, I would think the Valiant is a lighter lay up, only way to find out is to take it for a sea trial and see how it handles with the 75hp.
Old 22 June 2006, 15:39   #93

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

yes that would be a bit of a treck, if you see something closer to me then will be happy to take a look for you if i am in the neibourhood if it helps you

i've got your business card in the car so will send you my my contact details here, cant remember if i left them with you or not
Old 22 June 2006, 16:07   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I was under the impression that the Ribcraft 4.8 could only take a 60HP, I would think the Valiant is a lighter lay up, only way to find out is to take it for a sea trial and see how it handles with the 75hp.
have a look at the ribcraft website , the 4.8 can have a 75 e tec fitted , but a 60 is recomended .

Valiant definatly say up 80 hp on thier site .

Problemwith test drives is I haven't much experience of other ribs to compare so wouldn't really know if its a good handler or not .

Hugh I don't think I have your details thanks for the offers .
Old 22 June 2006, 21:20   #95
ADS

Quote:
have a look at the ribcraft website , the 4.8 can have a 75 e tec fitted , but a 60 is recomended .

Valiant definatly say up 80 hp on thier site .

Problemwith test drives is I haven't much experience of other ribs to compare so wouldn't really know if its a good handler or not .

Hugh I don't think I have your details thanks for the offers .
Ok, fair enough, best to take someone with you that knows what too look for, any ribs round the Christchurch/ Bournemouth area drop me a pm. I can get you a ride on a Valiant v520 c/w 75 2stroke (2005), but having driven both this and a Ribcraft 4.8, I would take the 4.8 every time, this particular Valiant is abit of a dog, although some of that may be down to the useless bench seat arrangement for the helm. Im sure one of the south west crew would go on a sea trial and accompany you viewing boats local to you.
Old 22 June 2006, 21:27   #96

Thanks alex
Ribcraft 4.8 would be the ticket . Just had a look and a new package deal starts at 8999 so must find out what you get for that ? year old ones are fetching 11 grand
Old 22 June 2006, 21:34   #97
ADS

Quote:
Thanks alex
Ribcraft 4.8 would be the ticket . Just had a look and a new package deal starts at 8999 so must find out what you get for that ? year old ones are fetching 11 grand
They are expensive, there is one on ebay at the moment which is around the £12k with a 50HP Suzuki. They are fantastic boats and I would love one myself except they aren't good value for money unless you plan to keep it long term. Despite what you think now, in a few years time you may well upgrade again to the next size up so you don't want to dump money on this. My money would go on a Tornado or an Osprey etc around the 5m mark with a recent engine aiming for sub £8k.
Old 22 June 2006, 21:46   #98

Yes seen that one on ebay , never worth that and a 50 doesn't seem enough for me .

There is a 5 m tornado on offer with a new yam 60 4 st but the boat is 93 so I discounted it for 2 reasons , but i may be wrong
1 too small an engine
2 too old a boat
Old 22 June 2006, 21:51   #99

Ribcraft had a 4.8 with 75 e-tec at Southampton show last year. Went out for a spin on it - went like sh!t off a shovel - really good fun boat.
They were packaging the 4.8 with a Suzuki 50 4-stroke for £10k, so I don't know what you'd get for a grand less? Yam 50 2-stroke perhaps?
Old 22 June 2006, 21:55   #100
ADS

Quote:
Yes seen that one on ebay , never worth that and a 50 doesn't seem enough for me .

There is a 5 m tornado on offer with a new yam 60 4 st but the boat is 93 so I discounted it for 2 reasons , but i may be wrong
1 too small an engine
2 too old a boat
I know the one you mean, its a funny looking thing, very shallow vee, older Tornados had problems with their PU tubes , the only solution being a retube (around £2k on a 5m boat).
Engine is spot on though and a 60HP will go well over 30knots on a 5m RIB.
Age, maybe. I have found in the past that its the condition not the age thats important with boats, in the majority of cases they are not used daily like a car so get relatively little use, if you can find one thats only used a few sunny days a year your onto a winner.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/avon-searider-...QQcmdZViewItem