Old 11 January 2014, 09:08   #1

Town: Kerry
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90
Whats the real year of a rib, Build year or Launch Year

I'm looking at purchasing a rib , after viewing yesterday I am very keen on it but it has been advertised as a 2010 rib but was built in 2008, the outboard is 2010 and the boat was first launched in 2010 after rigging, the seller is upfront and has all receipts. What you think?
Old 11 January 2014, 09:37   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
we had the same when we bought our Revenger, but I was happy that the hull had been built around 12 months before the tubes were fitted. if it were me, as long as the paperwork matches serial numbers for hull, engine etc then I'd be happy
Old 11 January 2014, 09:37   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
If it's what you want, in the condition you need does it really matter?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2014, 09:38   #4
NSS

Length: no boat
I have a 2010 built hull that wasn't rigged / commissioned until late 2012. Manufacturer's guarantee runs from date of commissioning but I imagine it would fetch a little less than a 2012 built / commissioned twin. Having said that, I got a significant discount when I bought it 'new'.
Old 11 January 2014, 09:55   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
It is a 2008. The HIN should reflect this. You'll be selling it eventually as a 2008 when the new owner won't know the full story. If the deal is good and you plan to keep it for a long while, then it's not the worst thing. It's a money call, IMO.

Buyers certainly consider the age of an engine as well as the age of the hull when buying. More so I think on quite old hulls with young engines. Overall, I think your prospect will be thought of as a 2008 boat when a few more years have elapsed. Maybe by then, it won't make much difference as buyers may just be looking at condition and engine hours?
Old 11 January 2014, 10:01   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dream's View Post
Whats the real year of a rib, Build year or Launch Year
More specifically, it's the year that the hull build commenced in. So started in December 2008, finished in February 2009 and launched in January 2010 makes a boat a 2008 (on the HIN). This is an example, not a comment on your boat.
Old 11 January 2014, 10:08   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
were the tubes made/fitted and stored inside/outside during those 2 yrs is potentially the biggest impact on condition (and therefore value). Age itself is not the key thing - you can have a 3 yr old boat that is spotless, stored in a shed, been cleaned and well maintained etc worth more than a 1yr old boat that has been left under a tree (full of rotting leaves), never seen a drop of grease and gets launched and recovered with no care.
Old 11 January 2014, 10:10   #8

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
if it was rigged and launched in 2010, it's already 4 years old, so by the time you come to sell it anyone looking at buying it won't be bothered about any manufactures warranties as they will have well run out, if not already done so, so the value will be based more on condition than build dates. have you been to see the rib yet, I'd be more concerned with how you feel when you park your bum on the drivers seat, does it make you smile
Old 11 January 2014, 21:51   #9

Thanks for all the replies, I agree if the boat is in good condition the hull year is not as important , it's just that I am about to put money on it and wanted to ask here first before I find out some detail I did not think of after.

It is a cobra 6.8 that is in very good condition with 100 hours and always stored indoors, only spent one night on the water 2 years ago and I was there that night ! But did not notice it! I notice other 2010 cobras for sale in the UK are 6.6 metres

Overall it's what I want for what I believe to be a fair price, not a steal and I'm not getting ripped off.

Looking forward to getting back to a rib after going for hard boats over the last few years.
Old 11 January 2014, 22:00   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Hin

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
More specifically, it's the year that the hull build commenced in. So started in December 2008, finished in February 2009 and launched in January 2010 makes a boat a 2008 (on the HIN). This is an example, not a comment on your boat.
Not necessarily. HIN can reflect date of completion (perhaps in this case of the hull).

Completion in Feb 2009 HIN would end B909
Old 11 January 2014, 22:01   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Dream's View Post
Overall it's what I want for what I believe to be a fair price, not a steal and I'm not getting ripped off.

Looking forward to getting back to a rib after going for hard boats over the last few years.
Good stuff. So, what brought you back to the Light?
Old 11 January 2014, 22:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Good stuff. So, what brought you back to the Light?
Flex ability and more fun, I prefer the cold wet air in my face then a cabin , also I live about 40 to 60 minutes drive from 3 of the best marinas in the south west of Ireland and 90 mins towing from the inland network of the Shannon river so more options when I can tow to

I believe a rib is better value , when I moved from my last rib to a hardboat, I found it cost more, got out less and was more stressed about cost, weather and marina damage