http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-transporting-practicalities-28029.html
Old 29 June 2011, 17:16   #42

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp e-tec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik View Post
I think why I'm klinging on to the RIB idea is of course one part that it's just cooler, and one part that I imagine the SIB smacking in to some rocks and sinking... That's what I see in my fantasy :o
Itd more likely bounce off, or rip (which can be mended). A rib would get a big old hole and a semi sinking feeling (though the tubes would stop it sinking). Likely be fairly ruined though!

I think the bombard aerotec is pretty cool looking personally. I also really like the quicksilver alloy decks, they look cracking with an A frame
Old 29 June 2011, 18:00   #43
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I think why I'm klinging on to the RIB idea is of course one part that it's just cooler, and one part that I imagine the SIB smacking in to some rocks and sinking... That's what I see in my fantasy :o
I don't think there is anything very cool about a tiller steered 3m rib. Even at 4m the SR4 owners would be corrupting the definition of cool. Bikini clad babes on the bow of a SR4 are a rare sight,

Hitting rocks in a RIB would be an expensive business. With any credible SIB or RIB then the tubes are made from multiple compartments so a puncture is not the end of the world, and I'd expect either to stay afloat with a puncture to the main hull. Some of the crazy North Americans on this forum (Jky, PrairieTuber etc) use SIBs for shallow water river and lake cruising - possibly quite similar to what you are thinking of. Some of RIBnet's most prolific posters use SIBs and one or two of them take them on long adventures - e.g. look for Zodiacman's threads, older stuff by Keith (who I believe invented the term SIB) Hart.

If you really want to just bounce of rocks then you really want a rotomolded plastic boat (RBB) - but then you've definitely crossed into "uncool".
Old 29 June 2011, 18:12   #44

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
The car should be able to take at least 100 kg on the roof
"At least 100kg..."
Old 29 June 2011, 19:01   #45

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>The car should be able to take at least 100 kg on the roof

If you're talking SIBs the Zodiac 3.4 air-deck like Max has is just 40kg and even the Zodiac 3.8 air-deck like mine is only 44kg.

Easy to lift on the roof inflated to carry for a short journey if you've fitted extra width roof bars with something like foam pipe insulation cable tied to the bars.

BTW newer SIBs are often a bit wide for roof carrying hence my comments about extended roof bars. Older SIBs are a useful bit narrower in this respect... the earlier Zodiac Futura Fastroller 3.5 was a good size/weight combination and a boat I'd have seriously considered in this size range.
Old 29 June 2011, 23:48   #46

Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: Evinrude 15 hp -78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I don't think there is anything very cool about a tiller steered 3m rib. Even at 4m the SR4 owners would be corrupting the definition of cool. Bikini clad babes on the bow of a SR4 are a rare sight,
I wasn't really aiming for picking up bikini babes with the boat though, the coolness was just for my own satisfaction

So it seems now that absolutely no one thinks I should get a RIB. All is for SIB... So now I have to start again to find one of those, but it's good that i've got some tips.
Old 29 June 2011, 23:53   #47

Thanks for the tips Fenlander! What model is your Zodiak? It seems they have a few ranges to choose between?
And Max, what's your model? Looking around what's available in the swedish second hand market Zodiak seems to be the most common, the second most common brand is Suzukis own. Is it even worth buying second hand, is it better to buy new?
Old 30 June 2011, 06:43   #48

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Patrik, best advice is to go to the SIB forum and simply look back at the hundreds of topics on there, page by page, even the very earliest topics - (almost every one of the 40 odd pages has a 'which SIB for....' topic). That's what I did over a few evenings and you will see thousands and thousands of posts along the lines of 'which SIB is best for me'.

Start here:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/index42.html
Old 30 June 2011, 08:03   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Patrik, best advice is to go to the SIB forum and simply look back at the hundreds of topics on there, page by page, even the very earliest topics - (almost every one of the 40 odd pages has a 'which SIB for....' topic). That's what I did over a few evenings and you will see thousands and thousands of posts along the lines of 'which SIB is best for me'.

Start here:

Inflatable boats - Page 42 - RIBnet Forums
Oh my, quite a few there.. Thanks though, I will mangle through it! But what model did you have?
Old 30 June 2011, 08:49   #50

Although I now aim my search at the SIBs, sayings such as the following worries me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
My only concern would be the seakeeping qualities of a small craft in a strong tidal area. I think that a 3m+ would be appropriate, suitably powered in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation, probably in the region of 15hp. Also bear in mind that these craft, even when fitted with an inflatable keel, are essentially flat bottomed and do not have the same sea keeping qualities of a small fibreglass hulled rigid inflatable.
Even though I mainly will be in the river, it partially have very strong current, and I also may go out in the baltic sea where the river ends up. I realize that I probably can't go into the sea when there's lots of waves even with a RIB (because of the size I guess), but still, I'd rather have a boat that has satisfying seakeeping..?
Old 30 June 2011, 19:57   #51

Town: Stockholm
Make: KR7
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150 H.O
Check the C-Fury...

Not the cheapest rib in the size. But after a testdrive you understand why it is more expencive.

c-fury

Did a testdrive in the solent in may.... Better then many 7 meters boats.

And order the trailer and you have a perfect kit
Old 30 June 2011, 20:59   #52

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
"At least 100kg..."
You would be surprised how much weight a roof can take. This Skoda Yeti I built had the best part of 900Kgs on the roof. ( wouldn't recommend driving it with this ultimate accessory on the roof though).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NIK_4237.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	60526  
Old 01 July 2011, 04:18   #53

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider

You would be surprised how much weight a roof can take.
No, not at all
Old 01 July 2011, 19:46   #54
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
He wants to put it on top of his car. Which Ribcraft model would you suggest
Fairly obvious choice really: the Ribcraft 3m

Oh and just tell the guy to get a Bombard Aerotec 380. The comment from Richard is in the days before it; essentially the Aerotec is a RIB, with a "V) hull and everything, it just happens to be inflatable. It would go well with a decent 15hp, or a 9.8.
Old 01 July 2011, 20:12   #55

So what money are we talking for the Aerotec 380? Seems like EVERYONE loves it And is it true that Honwave is a cheap option with that same hull?

Strongest option for the moment is the Zodiac Cadet Fastroller 340. Right price, light weight and so on. But all this opinion for the Aerotec 380 sure is bugging me.
Old 01 July 2011, 20:17   #56

Found it at that Ron's shop, where it was like £2100. In sweden I suppose it's like double that, because it usually is...
Seems really nice though! Might make me able to go in rougher sea than I've even planned to, and that makes me just a tiny bit happy