Old 28 September 2010, 20:04   #1
NSS

Length: no boat
What's it worth?

Hi all

Am close to buying my next RIB and will, at some point, need to sell my existing Avon. Having fitted it out myself just last winter, I'm unsure of what a realistic asking price would be.

There's pics and details at http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35953

Anyone care to suggest a figure? ....or even make me an offer :-)
Old 29 September 2010, 18:49   #2
NSS

Wow! That much! Really!

Seriously, can nobody give me a clue as to its worth, or is there a Glass's/Parker's Guide to used RIB prices online somewhere?
Old 29 September 2010, 19:10   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Wow! That much! Really!

Seriously, can nobody give me a clue as to its worth, or is there a Glass's/Parker's Guide to used RIB prices online somewhere?
You and me, we're not British, are we?

I'm going through a similar process, and while I didn't assemble it myself, I've chucked a fair bit of dosh into improving it. You'll get a good idea from the online sales sites, really, it's not rocket science and the crowd on here are so cynical that they'll tell you what THEY might pay for it - and they're not gonna buy it anyway
Old 29 September 2010, 19:25   #4
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
You and me, we're not British, are we?

I'm going through a similar process, and while I didn't assemble it myself, I've chucked a fair bit of dosh into improving it. You'll get a good idea from the online sales sites, really, it's not rocket science and the crowd on here are so cynical that they'll tell you what THEY might pay for it - and they're not gonna buy it anyway
Yep, have been looking at what other Avon Rover 340's get advertised for. Trouble is I seem to have created a one-off in so much that almost every one I look at has, at best, a single jockey seat/console.

Am wondering whether, due to the configuration and (if I dare say it) the quality of the fit-out, I'd be better aiming it at the large yacht/cruiser brigade as a luxury tender - rather than at the purist RIB user.

I know what it cost me to put together in pure financial terms, but that doesn't reflect the many hours I spent doing it!
Old 29 September 2010, 19:48   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
£3.5k.
Old 29 September 2010, 20:04   #6
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS View Post
£3.5k.
Is that an estimate of value or a cheeky bid?
Old 29 September 2010, 21:01   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Hard to price, you've created a very nice looking but v v v niche boat. If someone wants what you've created, they'll pay. But many won't. As you say it perhaps suits a yacht tender Market. Most on here want a jockey rib with max hp IMHO or open sib.

Unfortunately its a Bit like cars though, you will never get back what you spend making them look good or appear better or fill with techno. Clean well cared for standard models appealing to the most fetch the most and sell quickest.
Old 29 September 2010, 21:19   #8

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
a cunning way that has been used before to get your boat for sale onto another forum board eh!
Old 29 September 2010, 21:20   #9
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Hard to price, you've created a very nice looking but v v v niche boat. If someone wants what you've created, they'll pay. But many won't. As you say it perhaps suits a yacht tender Market. Most on here want a jockey rib with max hp IMHO or open sib.

Unfortunately its a Bit like cars though, you will never get back what you spend making them look good or appear better or fill with techno. Clean well cared for standard models appealing to the most fetch the most and sell quickest.
Fair comments, and points well made. To be fair, I don't expect to get a price that reflects the time I spent on it. Fact is, I thoroughly enjoyed doing it, and have had great fun using it this season. Having said that, I'm amazed at the wide range in prices being asked for RIBs of this size. Of course, what is asked for, as against what they sell for, may be very different.

Cheers for your input.
Old 29 September 2010, 21:28   #10
NSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
a cunning way that has been used before to get your boat for sale onto another forum board eh!
Not so, though I figured someone may view it that way ;-)

Fact is, whilst I'm close to making a decision on what RIB I'd like to purchase, I'm not in any great hurry to do so (and may well decide to hang onto this one for a while longer). Of course, if someone made me an offer 'I couldn't refuse' then that would be a different proposition.

Still weighing my options (Brig or Ribtec) at present, but if I choose the Ribtec then I'm told I could have to wait 4/5 month for the hull to arrive. That would make it unlikely I'd get the new one in the water next summer (as I have very limited time to work on it), in which case the Avon would get another season's use.
Old 29 September 2010, 21:43   #11

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Best of luck! If you've got time to sell, ie no rush, when the right buyer sees it he may well pay a good price as it looks mint and there's no others similar.

My mate has a group b rally car replica, hundreds of hours of meticulous build time and rarer than rocking horse you know what. He was offered £30k for it at a show after he built it. A year later he advertised it, no offers for 18 months. You just need the right buyer!!!
Old 29 September 2010, 21:55   #12

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Not so,
if ya say so
Old 29 September 2010, 23:25   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSS View Post
Fair comments, and points well made. To be fair, I don't expect to get a price that reflects the time I spent on it. Fact is, I thoroughly enjoyed doing it, and have had great fun using it this season. Having said that, I'm amazed at the wide range in prices being asked for RIBs of this size. Of course, what is asked for, as against what they sell for, may be very different.

Cheers for your input.
I wrote you long reply but my computer died when I clicked send. Here's a shorter version as I think Paul has covered quite a bit of what I wrote!

What someone is willing to spend on your boat depends on what else is out there that they are considering. Whilst your boat is ideal for what you wanted it doesn't suit everyone (and the fact that Avon don't offer the configuration suggests the market is very limited). Unfortunately for you I suspect most people looking for small boats (sub 4m) do so because they are looking for cheap boats. If they had more £ most people would go bigger. You do only need one person though.

As a ball park its been suggested here before that ribs depreciate at 10% of their ex VAT price per annum. Some people vehemently dispute this as beign too high - but it may give an indication, of closer to the "bottom end".