Old 30 January 2009, 14:31   #1

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
whats it worth

Hi all that know me.

I know its a "how long is a peice of string" question, but a few opinions on the value of my "runabout" so i can decide weather to sell or keep! This summer i'll be running the RibTec 655 out of Ramsgate so don't really need a 2nd boat, but at the same time in this climate, i'll keep it if she's worth nowt.

"spare rib" is an old and tatty 5m RIB on a trailer with a new and shiney Tohatsu 50 2-stroke. she's been used previously, and by me as a sailing support boat by many so has knocks and scrapes but is generally seaworthy and equipted with all the usual bits including single jockey console. no electronics, however.

It a "Porters 5000" which is a RibTec 535 hull finneshed off by Porters in the early 90's (so i'm told). As part of an extensive overhaul (cost £4-5k) in 2007 a new engine (oil injection, electric trim etc) and tubes overhaul which have had inners fitted, so hold air 100% and were cosmetically tidied up too. Engine is like new under the cowl, less than 100 hrs total.

as i say, i know it's subjective, but what would you ask / pay ?
Old 30 January 2009, 15:16   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Probably worth more if you split the boat and engine. The boat sounds like an ebay job if it's got inner tubes-whereas there'll be people queueing up for that Tohatsu if they've got any sense...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2009, 15:47   #3

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Daniel - If it's a 'Barracuda', then I have exactly the same boat. Mine is a 2001 hull with a 2002 engine. When I bought it in 2007 it was advertised at £5500 (not what I paid!) with a trailer and it wasn't cosmetically pretty (engine well maintained though and tubes all hold air).

If you search the rib gallery for 'Porters' you'll see the condition it was in - you might be able to gauge the value of yours based upon that.

Incidentally, Ian Porter has told me that it's based on a Searider. If you give him a call and quote the hull number, he should be able to tell you the age of the hull.
Old 30 January 2009, 16:46   #4

shame, the only evidence of the hull plate is the rivits, unless you know where else it lurks? your boat looks very smart.

Hadn't considered breaking it, what do you reckon the engine would fetch NoS?
Old 31 January 2009, 10:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
shame, the only evidence of the hull plate is the rivits, unless you know where else it lurks?
On mine the hull reference number is stamped on the hull - on the flange just under the port tube towards the stern.

You still see some of the 2 stroke 50hp Tohatsus for sale new for about £3k, so the engine's probably worth around £2k tops maybe?
Old 15 February 2009, 14:03   #6

Finally took cover off to take a piccy.

Despite my opinion, it seams keeping and not using this summer might not be an option, apparently "it's cluttering the drive".

On the basis of a couple of PM's and whats said here i think this will be destined for fleaBay after Easter starting at £3k ? If i split it, it looks like the engine will fetch £2k so i am sure the hull and all the bits are worth £1000 or a wee bit more, but i'm genuinely after opinion!

Can't find a HIN at all. It's certianly older than yours Guy. Tubes say "Porters Rescue 5000". I researched this a few years ago and am certian that Porters were based on, or even made the RibTec 535 hull's. Any 535 owners got a transom shot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0650.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	40547  
Old 15 February 2009, 18:03   #7

They used to make four hull types, one of which was called the 'rescue', so it's possible that yours was based on a Ribtec - they seem to have cut back to two hulls now though:

http://www.porters.org.uk/rescue.htm

A 5m hull is just over £5,500 new (so your hull may be £1k - £1.5k now?). Plus £2k-ish for the engine and some value in the trailer, so an eBay start price of £3k sounds reasonable.

Give the tubes a good clean and polish before you start the auction.