Old 04 November 2007, 09:17   #1

Town: Newmarket
Boat name: ELA
Make: METZELER
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20 Suzuki
What's better

What’s better a Rib that sponson's “tubes” touch the water or one that the sponson's are out of the water.
Old 04 November 2007, 09:45   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Here we go. A classic poser for a classic RIBNET answer. This could be a long post.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:47   #3

basic questions

Sorry don’t know what a Poser is but if this has been brought up couple of times I am new to Ribs and just trying to get educated with these boats.
Ribs have just started taking off hear in Ontario, Canada and is growing quite fast, the Zodiac dealer around here has doubled his sales in just one year. Why not they are light weight and I can pull mine (12’ metzeler) with a small Echo like it’s not even there. I was out fishing the other day and the 12-14 aluminum boats were heading in but I still felt quite save in my rib. My little 20 hp really moves this small boat and I get stopped almost every time I’m out and asked questions about it. It’s getting to the point I may be looking at opening a inflatable boat section in my friends marina.
Anyways that’s why I ask the basic questions
Old 04 November 2007, 13:16   #4

Hi,

Not trying to be difficult. But I feel this is a subject that will cause a fair bit of discussion.

Personally I prefer the boats with tubes that touch the water when at rest. All the boats I have owned have been like that. It makes for a stable platform when at rest. Some boats I tie up to have their tubes a fair way out of the water and they seem to tip quite a lot depending on where the most weight is. I'm not sure what the advantage of that design is but I'm sure someone will be on here to tell us.
Old 04 November 2007, 17:17   #5

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like Ribs that do not have the sponsons touching the water are faster, probably handles like a narrow fiberglass, and the sponsons only are used at slow speed or large waves.
This would say also that sponsons touching the water are slower but more stable.
Does this also mean that sponsons can’t take the punishment the faster high performance boats dish out?
Old 04 November 2007, 21:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like Ribs that do not have the sponsons touching the water are faster, probably handles like a narrow fiberglass, and the sponsons only are used at slow speed or large waves.
This would say also that sponsons touching the water are slower but more stable.
Does this also mean that sponsons can’t take the punishment the faster high performance boats dish out?
Thats something like I was trying to say.

But surely you can design a boat that has the tubes touching the water at rest but out of the water on the move. This would provide the best of both worlds. And from my experience the Avon Searider, Avon seasport and all RIBCRAFTs do this. People with other boats can post their own feelings.

However I do know of a boat that I have used that has tubes out of the water at rest and its got really bad handling at displacement speeds. It weaved all over the place. Luckily for you its a UK only boat.
Old 05 November 2007, 12:33   #7

sponsons that do not touch the water are not real inflatables

Got your interest?

I was talking to a inflatable boat sales person in Burlington, Ontario and he said that boats that do not have the sponsons touching the water do not handle like a real inflatable. He mentioned that buying a rib with sponsons out of the water I might as well buy a fiberglass boat because there would be more room with out the tubes.
True or not I could still see advantages over a straight fiberglass boat.
Does any one know of fuel advantage and pollution advantage of a rib over a fiberglass boat. I know that several groups here in Canada want to start e-testing boat motors to cut down on the pollution in the water.
Old 05 November 2007, 12:56   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Any boat is a compromise between various factors:

speed - cost - size - weight - comfort - ride quality - stability - appearance - sea worthiness/safety - longevity etc

You need to work out what you want it to do.

If you plan to spend a lot of time afloat and at rest - or with people getting in and out of the water then it would certainly be preferable to have a lower freeboard/tube height. If you are looking for a boat that is about aesthetics or to increase your sexual attractiveness then it might be different.
Old 05 November 2007, 16:43   #9

Your correct can't have everything.

Now this is a dilemma I was looking at getting a Brig Falcon or a Caribe C13/14 with a Honda for fuel efficiency. Now I find out a can get a Rib that will give me sexual attractiveness. This old body may still have some wild oats to sow. J
But your absolutely correct a perfect compromise and some reality should help me find the perfect boat.
Old 05 November 2007, 16:51   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstege View Post
Now this is a dilemma I was looking at getting a Brig Falcon or a Caribe C13/14 with a Honda for fuel efficiency. Now I find out a can get a Rib that will give me sexual attractiveness. This old body may still have some wild oats to sow. J
But your absolutely correct a perfect compromise and some reality should help me find the perfect boat.
Just to be clear sexual attractiveness is as measured in your own head not in the head of those looking at you!
Old 05 November 2007, 23:05   #11

Town: Staffordshire
Boat name: Pacific 9134
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 300hp Suzuki
MMSI: 232043887
thay got to be in the water for a smoother more stable ride
Old 06 November 2007, 00:54   #12

Town: old bar
Boat name: efo
Make: avon
Engine: yam60hp 2stroke
seasport 4.25

have a seasport 4.25..at rest sponsons keep the boat sitting flat at rest,,at speed it has a fglass running plank that it sits on,,drives just like a glass ski boat,,till put the sponsons back in water,,then its stable as a punt
Old 07 November 2007, 06:06   #13

Seasport

The Seasport look like great boats but the only one I know of around here is a new 2005, 90 yam at around $27000 two costly for me.
Old 08 November 2007, 12:38   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I would just like to add that although our RIBs are designed to have the tubes in the water at rest for stability, they are out of the water at speed - they also certainly do not slow the boat down - the race version of our leisure boat reached 91.5 mph this week and set a new outboard immersed prop mono hull record for the UK and also a world record if we can get the UIM to ratify it!

We used a standard Mercury 2.5 Offshore rated at 280 HP, a modified Raker 26 and our Race hull weighed in at 975 kg if anyone is interested!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2007, 12:50   #15

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I would just like to add that although our RIBs are designed to have the tubes in the water at rest for stability, they are out of the water at speed - they also certainly do not slow the boat down - the race version of our leisure boat reached 91.5 mph this week and set a new outboard immersed prop mono hull record for the UK and also a world record if we can get the UIM to ratify it!

We used a standard Mercury 2.5 Offshore rated at 280 HP, a modified Raker 26 and our Race hull weighed in at 975 kg if anyone is interested!
Congratulations on the pending WR! That is fast!