Old 28 September 2015, 20:18   #1

Town: Solent
Boat name: not yet decided
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115
What would you have done

We had our first trip out on our 6m rib this Sunday. Being new to RIBs and only just back to boating after a 7 year gap it was good to be back out on the water.

We launched in Portsmouth harbour by Port Solent and made our way along the channel markers. i had looked at the paper chart and had the garmin chart plotter on and just before the naval base saw a yacht, about 25-30ft, waving frantically at us. The radio was on ch16 and i'd heard nothing.

Sensing they were in trouble I started to head over to them automatically. Within seconds the shallow water alarm was registering 1.5 metres and as i gingerly approached, with enthusiatic encouragement from the yachtsman, we went to 1.2 metre and i could see on the garmin i was essentially on dry land!

At that point i signalled to him that it was too shallow (i'm guessing he needed a tug out) and made a rapid retreat on the falling tide. No point in two boats being stuck and with kids on board our boat it was a risk not worth taking given he was out of the way and in no danger.

I circled around in deeper water considering the options - should i radio ch16 or ch11 when i saw another RIB that happened to be giving lessons so i approached and asked advice. It was simply 'look after number 1' , 'he should have a radio' 'his fault -leave him to sit it out' 'not your problem'.

I don't disagree with any of the advice i was given and ended up just carrying on. We later came back an hour later to find him well on the mud, still safe, and sitting it out.

It just left me wondering what other people would have done in this situation, what depth i could have gone to, what is the best way to tow in shallow water(bow line and reverse out?) and whether i was stupid even approaching him in the first place.
Old 28 September 2015, 20:28   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
First rule of crisis management- limit the number of casualties. You did right. My shallow alarm goes off at 1.8m, anything lower than 1.4m & I'm outta there. If you had dinged your prop or skeg, would the hapless Yottie have stumped up?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 20:32   #3

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
If it was a sailboat then there's a very good chance he would of had a much deeper draught than you.
If it was still upright and you had 1.2m showing (assuming your transducer is mounted on the bottom of the transom) then I would have certainly ventured closer in with the outboard trimed up as a precaution. Out of curiosity how far further would you of needed to go before being in throwing distance?

Simon
Old 28 September 2015, 20:39   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
I use that channel regularly and find my depth gauge beeps a lot due to the silt. You prob had more water than you think.

However.....in unfamiliar waters and with your family onboard and nobody in life threatening situations-you were right to not put yourself in danger.

I'd of put a quick call in to QHM (VHF chn11) and then be on my way.
Old 28 September 2015, 20:42   #5

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
was the wafi a single keeler or double ? ..
Old 28 September 2015, 21:10   #6

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
However.....in unfamiliar waters and with your family onboard and nobody in life threatening situations-you were right to not put yourself in danger.
I'd of put a quick call in to QHM (VHF chn11) and then be on my way.
^^^^^
For all you - or the other person you spoke to - knew he could have had a radio which for whatever reason wasn't working. Did you attempt to call him?
I'm a bit taken aback by the attitude of the other RIB.
Not putting yourself into danger is entirely correct.
A call to the HM - or to the CG - to draw their attention to him would have been my course of action. They might ask you to stand by to keep them updated as they decide what action to take.
I take it you weren't able to get close enough to shout & find out what the problem was?
Old 28 September 2015, 21:16   #7

Town: Solent
Boat name: not yet decided
Make: ribeye
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhandler View Post
If it was a sailboat then there's a very good chance he would of had a much deeper draught than you.
If it was still upright and you had 1.2m showing (assuming your transducer is mounted on the bottom of the transom) then I would have certainly ventured closer in with the outboard trimed up as a precaution. Out of curiosity how far further would you of needed to go before being in throwing distance?

Simon
We were still about 50 metres away and i had no idea of bottom really after leaving main channel.
Old 28 September 2015, 21:29   #8

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
There are a lot of obstructions outside the channel. A call to QHM on CH 11 as James said is a good call within Portsmouth Harbour and they will despatch harbour patrol. Often see vessels stranded on the banks around here.
Old 28 September 2015, 22:05   #9

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
I was also out in Sunday, and heard some chatter between QHM and the harbour patrol on ch11. They tried to pull a boat off the mud, but could not, so they took off the children and woman, leaving the man to stay with the boat for the high tide. This must have been around 3pm. Does that sound like your boat?

BTW I launched from Camber, which is a very good slip, and now you can park there again! What is Port Solent like? Do you have to use the lock?
Old 28 September 2015, 23:23   #10

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
What stage of the tide were you at ? also is the water clarity that bad you cant see bottom at 1.2m.

Ive towed and helped out yachts before while living on the IOW. Maybe I just came across a few bad apples but I found they were very ungrateful and rude. One broke his anchorage outside of Yarmouth and was drifting towards the needles, after using almost all my fuel to get him back into harbour he complained he didn't want to pay harbour fees and wanted me to head out and try and recover his anchor.

I had an almost identical incident with another who's engine wouldn't start on a windless day also dint want to spend anytime in the harbour having to pay fees.

So many things could go wrong helping someone out so I would say leave it to the people who make a living on the harbour or you may end up damaging your own boat or getting sued for damaging theirs.

Jon
Old 29 September 2015, 05:44   #11

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Engine: 250hp HO
I wouldn't risk my boat or family unless it seemed life threatening. Think I would have done the same thing and had a chat with the coastguard while standing off, until I knew the situation from cg.

Sadly it's probable we should all agree the terms of assistance before rescuing anyone. I once rescued two jet skiers, unable to get back on their bike. Had I damaged their equipment or them mine it would have been a very awkward situation
Old 29 September 2015, 06:19   #12

Length: 7m +
I would have probably done similar to you as in approach to yelling distance if possible and then backed out when I realised it was so shallow, I would have called the coastguard to make them aware and if it was possible to get some info from him as in are you sinking or just aground and passed that on. Number one rule always makesure you are safe otherwise there may be two incidents rather than one to sort out.

I managed to damage my own rib once trying to help someone, since then I am more careful of giving assistance based on weather and issues of location and depth etc.

Im sure a call to coastguard is the right thing so at least they know there is an issue and may need to send someone, they could work out tide flow and wind factors on the yacht and location and work out if a real danger exists or the person could just sit and ride it out, weather woudl also be a factor in their thinking and type of yacht and if kids on board and how cold etc in terms of hyperthermia etc.

Human nature is we try and help, just think of number one first and let coastguard know.
Old 29 September 2015, 07:03   #13

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Buckribster you can moor on outer waiting pontoon and walk ashore,call Port Solent on CH80 and speak to Lock Master to get instructions. Lots of news restaurants to try.

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 29 September 2015, 07:41   #14

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Given he was only going to suffer little more than a bit of a wait till high tide, I would have attempted to contact him by radio, but not tried to tow him anywhere.

Failing that I would have alerted the Coastguard, but that's probably all.

Seems odd he wasn't already on the radio, so perhaps he didn't have one, or it wasn't working.

Perhaps we should check out the Yacht forums for a thread about RIB's being unhelpful
Old 29 September 2015, 08:42   #15

Make: XS 550
Engine: Mercury Optimax 90HP
Call to the Coastguard and standoff waiting their advice.
Old 29 September 2015, 08:57   #16

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Engine: Mercury 350
Told him to drop his anchor and take him a cup of tea
Old 29 September 2015, 16:05   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Seems odd he wasn't already on the radio, so perhaps he didn't have one, or it wasn't working.
Hopefully it wasn't water in his electrics after being holed below the waterline or grounding screwing up his shaft alignment and letting water in. Nor was he left aboard without a proper briefing by a Mob or unconscious skipper.

It's much more likely that he didn't use the radio to either reduce embarrassment or avoid wasting precious resources on a minor slip up, but I'll be controversial by suggesting that the OP was wrong to take the advice of the nearby coach and leave the scene without summoning help. Obviously putting yourself in danger would be stupid, and being in an unfamiliar boat in unfamiliar waters means you may not be as helpful as others. Assuming the two stories above are linked then it seems nothing too bad happened this time.
Old 29 September 2015, 16:12   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Sadly it's probable we should all agree the terms of assistance before rescuing anyone. I once rescued two jet skiers, unable to get back on their bike. Had I damaged their equipment or them mine it would have been a very awkward situation
Would it? I'm sure that maritime law and it's insurers will have well understood ways of sorting our such issues. Many years ago a training centre rib (which was just in the area and nothing to do with me) took a chunk out a sailing dinghy I owned whilst hurriedly towing it out of the way of a passing ship (my rudder had snapped off). It never even crossed my mind to claim the cost. a professional recovery drive once damaged my tow hitch when doing me a favour - again I never even complained. I'm sure some people would, but life is full of idiots.
Old 29 September 2015, 17:20   #19
RIBnet Supporter

I've been watching this one with interest until a few replies came in. I think it's a location call. I'd imagine the Solent had a few boats on the water as usual None of them was interested and even a training boat adopted an "eff 'em" attitude. I guess there are many incidents like this every day! It wouldn't happen here as a stranded vessel would be too interesting to abandon!

Personally I would have tried my level best to establish good comms with the skipper while trying to hold my own vessel in a safe position. I wouldn't risk a prop or worse for an aground yacht - but I'd take a calculated risk if persons were in a worsening situation. Once that was done I'd call the CG and follow their instructions - e.g. standby until the official assist arrives.
Old 29 September 2015, 17:50   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
None of them was interested and even a training boat adopted an "eff 'em" attitude. I guess there are many incidents like this every day! It wouldn't happen here as a stranded vessel would be too interesting to abandon! stripped for scrap before the skipper made it ashore!
Ftfy!