Old 29 September 2015, 18:04   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Ftfy!
You'll know - is flotsam something someone else threw overboard and jetsam the stuff you chucked out yerself?
Old 29 September 2015, 18:13   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
So where does this end....if we try hard enough we can always find a way to turn our back and say "not my problem". If you were comfortable with the way you handled this you wouldn't raise it here.
Old 29 September 2015, 18:34   #23

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I've been watching this one with interest until a few replies came in. I think it's a location call. I'd imagine the Solent had a few boats on the water as usual None of them was interested and even a training boat adopted an "eff 'em" attitude. I guess there are many incidents like this every day! It wouldn't happen here as a stranded vessel would be too interesting to abandon!
I suspect your are right. And yes I can pretty much promise you that if you listen to 16 in Solent on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon on a falling tide there will be at least one if not more of these WAFIs(Usually) who park up the mud beside the channels.

BUT - does there being more boats around really make it safer? I have my doubts:

Someone has to take "command" - you see this with things like Fire Alarms going off. Everyone can hear it, everyone knows its a Fire Alarm - everyone is looking at everyone else inside there heads saying "if they aren't evacuating, I'm not evacuating either". Most people know what should be being done and as soon as someone says "we need to leave" they follow the process they know they are meant to follow...
Old 29 September 2015, 19:08   #24

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
The majority of people don't want to get involved although many will have a good rubberneck. That's just the way it is.
You'll see the comment many times by people being interviewed by the press opining that "someone should do something about......"
Very few will put themselves forward to take charge or try to do something about it & I can understand the worry that people have of possibly making a fool of themselves.
Often seen it on training exercises when a volunteer to take charge is called for - no-one wants to look at the DS in case they are picked even though they know that one of them is going to be picked & they'll all be having a go anyway!
Old 29 September 2015, 19:16   #25

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50
Such a shame that the majority of replies seem to suggest not taking any action (bar a radio message to QHM) .
Of particular disappointment is the attitude of the (professional?) skipper giving instruction.

I suppose it's a sign of the times nowadays...the solidarity once prevalent out on the water is fading fast.

As Douglas Adams said

" The Somebody Else's Problem field is much simpler and more effective, and what's more can be run for over a hundred years on a single torch battery. This is because it relies on people's natural disposition not to see anything they don't want to, weren't expecting, or can't explain."

There was obviously an SEP field in use around the sailboat ;-)

I would of had little issue trimming the outboard right up and edging in closer, especially with 1.2m under the keel and only 50m left to run.

Where I do my boating in Finistere, I often run into isolated coves to access secluded beaches. I often trim the engine up to just before the point that cooling may become an issue and slowly edge my boat(s) into shallow water. Sure, I've touched bottom on several occasions and, so long as your only going slowly, you can easily go astern and pull yourself free. No drama and no damage ever suffered since I normally have the someone on the bow which helps level out the trim meaning the keel touches and not the outboard skeg.

Incidentally, if QHM had been advised, the call to one of the local VOLUNTEER rescue stations would have probably been made... Possibly GAFIRS in Gosport.. These guys do not get paid for the work they do so in effect what could of been a quick lift off would (by the time the rescue boat got there and the tide dropped further ) have turned into a rescue operation whereby personel transfers could of potentially been required risking both rescuers and rescuees....

Simon
Old 29 September 2015, 19:33   #26

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
First rule is not to become a casualty yourself. If you do you are no use to anyone & just create more problems.
If you don't have the knowledge, equipment or confidence you risk increasing the problem.
Manouvering in very shallow water carries risks - esp if visibility into the water is poor.
Not unusual for the CG to thank volunteers calling up to assist with an incident - or a search for MOB - but they will also tell you not to do anything that could put you at risk.
Old 29 September 2015, 19:42   #27

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I think there is an element of selfishness prevalent in busier mainland areas compared to outlying locations. I'm pretty sure a larger proportion of boaters would respond to such a situation in my boating playground, partly due to there being a greater respect for the hazards but also because there are fewer boats around and therefore less of an opportunity to kid yourself that someone else will be along soon to help instead. It is a shame, but it seems to be an increasingly common reaction.

To respond to the OP, I would have certainly tried to contact the skipper by VHF to establish if there was any urgency to his situation. If that proved fruitless and if the depth was 1.2m clear water beneath the skeg I would have carefully proceeded closer until I could communicate by shouting. I presume we are talking about gradually shelving mud banks here and not a rocky shoreline. I would also have reported the situation to the CG, but then I know that my CG would be keen to hear.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2015, 23:08   #28

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Would it? I'm sure that maritime law and it's insurers will have well understood ways of sorting our such issues. Many years ago a training centre rib (which was just in the area and nothing to do with me) took a chunk out a sailing dinghy I owned whilst hurriedly towing it out of the way of a passing ship (my rudder had snapped off). It never even crossed my mind to claim the cost. a professional recovery drive once damaged my tow hitch when doing me a favour - again I never even complained. I'm sure some people would, but life is full of idiots.
Hamble rescue. Rescued me and beached my rib on a concrete slip, damaging it. I was really unhappy. But it beat arguing with QM2.

I know someone personally taken to court because his garden path tripped someone up.on his own land. So the concern is for both sides, and some might choose the safer guaranteed option

Plus i never understood salvage laws.
Old 01 October 2015, 20:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Hamble rescue. Rescued me and beached my rib on a concrete slip, damaging it. I was really unhappy. But it beat arguing with QM2.
Did you sue? ... Thought not.

Quote:
I know someone personally taken to court because his garden path tripped someone up.on his own land.
Did the person win?
You need to understand the basis of a win before we all panic that someone might trip. So his garden path tripped who up? Why did it trip them up? What REASONABLE precautions could he have taken to prevent it. The law generally has less expectations of reasonableness of a home owner than perhaps a business. Your mate trips on your garden path in bright daylight calling in to see if you want to join him in the pub as he's lonely after his 5th pint alone. Vs the pizza delivery guy falls into a 6ft hole in your path at night with no lights and no fencing and you didn't think to mention when on the phone that he couldn't come to the front door...

Quote:
Plus i never understood salvage laws.
Agree your terms of salvage before salvaging. Anything else is a minefield.
Old 01 October 2015, 21:31   #30
red

Town: Alton
Boat name: Seascaper
Make: Zodiac Hurricane, Ca
Engine: Diesel 170hp
I tried to rescue a Westerly that went aground on Bramble Bank. No amount of pulling in the rapidly increasing shallows could help. They dried out and were there some time until the following tide, meanwhile trips to Cowes for sustenance were needed.
Old 01 October 2015, 21:33   #31

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Low flyer -forgot to ask you how much they charge to launch at Port Solent.
Old 02 October 2015, 14:47   #32

Town: Solent
Boat name: not yet decided
Make: ribeye
Engine: 115
yep that sounds about the right time
Old 02 October 2015, 14:54   #33

Town: Solent
Boat name: not yet decided
Make: ribeye
Engine: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
So where does this end....if we try hard enough we can always find a way to turn our back and say "not my problem". If you were comfortable with the way you handled this you wouldn't raise it here.
Absolutely - on hindsight if it happened again i would ignore the poor advice of the training RIB who no doubt sees it everyday and call up CG to alert them. I'm a bit rusty to say the least in procedures but it'll come back - put it down to experience!
Old 02 October 2015, 14:58   #34

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Absolutely - on hindsight if it happened again i would ignore the poor advice of the training RIB who no doubt sees it everyday and call up CG to alert them. I'm a bit rusty to say the least in procedures but it'll come back - put it down to experience!
If in doubt, pass the buck
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 October 2015, 17:47   #35
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Agree your terms of salvage before salvaging. Anything else is a minefield.
Not really people have been salvaging ships for a very long time so the principles are really quite well defined. There is a lot of paranoid nonsense misrepresented on the internet and in the wider world. If anyone has a significant claim on your boat the circumstances will be such that you really don't care...
Old 02 October 2015, 21:02   #36

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Quote:
There is a lot of paranoid nonsense misrepresented on the internet

Yep.

Off topic though Poly.....