Old 29 October 2007, 14:33   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
What would you have done?

I had some excitement on Saturday when my solo return from Lymington to Poole took somewhat longer than expected due to the wind/sea that had got up (as forecast) through the afternoon. As a result, the tide (low spring) in Poole was somewhat lower than I had calculated on but I decided nonetheless to try to get home into Parkstone Bay Marina where access is theoretically not possible at low water springs. In the past, I have always been able to get in by trimming the engine right up and putting one or two crew at the front of the boat to keep the nose down (and, therefore, engine up). Using this method, I have certainly got in on lower tides than the tide as it was on Saturday.

In the absence of any crew, however, there was no additional weight to keep the nose down and with the engine therefore low the prop duly hit the muddy bottom about 100m from the (dredged) marina entrance. No damage done, but with a strong wind from behind, I couldn’t get enough power on to bring the boat round into the wind in the narrow channel (moored boats each side) and so exit without the prop hitting the mud again.

A very slow exit in reverse was therefore the only solution and, with the tide still falling and evening coming on, I eventually got to the end of the channel where the boats are moored and tried again to turn into the wind. As the boat started to come round, however, the engine stopped. Two attempts to restart it failed and with the GPS indicating that I wasn’t drifting, I concluded that I was aground. In an effort to find out which part of the boat was aground, I tried punting the boat in a variety of directions with one of the on board paddles. The depth of the water was about 1m. No joy. I therefore concluded that I must be aground on the prop which I lifted to find that a thick mooring rope was tightly wrapped around it with a length of anchor chain attached to it (and presumably the sea bed) only four inches from the prop!

Given that I’m writing this, I obviously extricated myself and, I am pleased to report, without damage to the boat. There are a couple of things that I might do slightly differently next time (like not attempt a solo entrance at low tide! ) but I am reasonably happy with what I did. What would you have done?

I look forward to your views in the hope that further lessons may be learned.
Old 29 October 2007, 17:29   #2

Town: South East
Make: Valiant DR520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 75
Sometimes I find that in your situation as the prop comes nearer to horizontal that the forward thrust turns into downward thrust almost negating any trim on the engine. In my case either me or my mates would have drysuits on so any water shallow enough to beach us would enable us to jump in and tow to shore. We always test with a paddle first before jumping into 3 feet of black harbour mud.
Old 29 October 2007, 18:32   #3

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Would've gone into Parkstone yacht club and waited for the flood given the weather. Saves prop/leg/impeller etc.
Old 29 October 2007, 19:41   #4

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Had a similar situation recently myself. Wearing a drysuit, I did as keelhauled suggests and tested the depth of water and firmness of bottom before sliding into the water and pushing the boat off the sand. However, the sand bank shelves incredibly deeply and I was soon swimming.

After much paddling by my crew and orders being given by me, we got into deep enough water before lowering the engine and getting the hell out of there!
Old 29 October 2007, 20:20   #5

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Maybe you could have used your anchor to kedge it off?
Old 30 October 2007, 04:39   #6

Keelhauled's point of testing the bottom is well made. Although I hadn't purposely done so, my forelorn attempts at punting had shown that the bottom was firm enough to stand.

BassBoy obviously knows the area: the boat spent the night in Parkstone Yacht Club once I had extricated myself!

With no crew, Northern Tim's situation was my main concern and one I was hoping to avoid.

Unfortunately, Limey Linda's suggestion was unworkable: too much rope was wound too tightly around the prop which was unreachable from inside the boat.

Any other suggestions before I say what I did?
Old 30 October 2007, 05:19   #7

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Well, since you were anchored of sorts, and not likely to get into any more trouble, I would have tied off the the boat to your temporary mooring, cleared the prop, checked the engine would start, cracked open a few tinnies, made a few phone calls and waited for more water.
Old 30 October 2007, 14:49   #8

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
Never tried it, but given that when you trim the engine up and put it in fwd it drives the stern down, what happens if you reverse? Do you get some lift? In that form could you make it?
Old 30 October 2007, 15:26   #9

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
I grant you that i'm a diver but I would always have a pair of fins in my boat and I would simply swim in backwards the way it came. The advantages of having fins is they can help you get back onboard if your feet don't touch the bottom anymore.
Old 30 October 2007, 15:30   #10

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
my solo return from Lymington to Poole took somewhat longer than expected due to the wind/sea that had got up (as forecast) through the afternoon.
What conditions where you out in? What conditions will slow down a 7+m Ribcraft with 250hp on the back? Are you sure you didn't leave a bit late?
Old 30 October 2007, 17:09   #11
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Firstly, you are currently not going anywhere as you are "anchored". Therefore you would need to release that "anchor" by either cutting or releasing it from your prop (without getting your feet wet!)

once released, you would either drift or be able to paddle or motor backwards. Depending on your boat, either stand at the bow and drive from infront of the console, or move as much weight in the boat to the front. A bucket filled with water could also be moved to the front as extra ballast!

Ok, prob not how you did it but will wait for the answer!
Old 31 October 2007, 17:36   #12

Right or wrong: what I did....

All excellent suggestions - it's amazing how many solutions there can be to a problem! I particularly like Apherel's answer which didn't occur to me: I wanted to be away from the problem not tie up to it; but tying to it would prevent the boat from drifting once free.

Not wanting to wait two hours for the tide to rise with no tinnies in the boat and no bucket on board big enough to substitute for my usual "Who stole all the pies?" crew, I:

1. Turned on my handheld VHF (waterproof) and secured it in my jacket pocket
2. Tied my knife to my wrist with a lanyard
3. Tied a short length of the bow line around my waist with a quick release knot
4. Lowered myself over the back of the boat into the water
Fortunately the thickness of the rope meant that it had not wound in between the prop and the engine and could be unravelled without being cut. As foreseen, the boat immediately began to drift but with the short length of rope holding me to it, I could easily reach it and climb back aboard. Engine starts first time, boat powers towards the North Channel and into Parkstone Yacht Club. Walk round to car, drive home, recount adventure to family and recover boat on Sunday.

Anyone any thoughts as to whether I should have (a) removed my life jacket (hammar type) (I didn't) or (b) informed the coastguard or anyone else before going overboard (I didn't)?
Old 31 October 2007, 17:53   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
As you were by yourself and going overboard I would have thought that a Securitay call would have been appropriate but included that you would advise within 1 hour. However, good job all round.
Old 31 October 2007, 19:37   #14
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post

3. Tied a short length of the bow line around my waist with a quick release knot

Anyone any thoughts as to whether I should have (a) removed my life jacket (hammar type) (I didn't) or (b) informed the coastguard or anyone else before going overboard (I didn't)?

Taking off your Lifejacket would not be advised incase the water was deeper, then you are going to have to swim or drift to something else, at least you would of been kept afloat.

Inform the coastguard - only if you were in imidiate danger, possibly if you were unable to get yourself off once you have tried.

You did what was right, you knew the depth and had made other plans. Well Done.

Q. You say you tied a short length of the "BOW LINE around your waist", Are you talking about the line ties to the front of the boat? If so was it still attached to the bow? Just thinking that if the "bow line" was still attached, then surely if the line ended under the boat when motoring it could get stuck in the prop?

(Only my thoughts, just wondered if I am confused)

Thanks
Old 01 November 2007, 01:50   #15

"Q. You say you tied a short length of the "BOW LINE around your waist", Are you talking about the line ties to the front of the boat? If so was it still attached to the bow? Just thinking that if the "bow line" was still attached, then surely if the line ended under the boat when motoring it could get stuck in the prop?

(Only my thoughts, just wondered if I am confused)

Thanks"

Sorry: bow line = stern line!