scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
What would you buy?

Hi All,

I have got a choice of two boats i have seen today and thought i would ask you all what you would buy.
The first is a Camel Ribtec 6.55 with all the mod cons on it with a Honda 130 on the back, on a trailer. Had a look over it today and it would be fair to say that it has seen some use !!!! £14,5K

Next is a Ribtec 585 with Honda 90, only has fish finder but is in very good condition as it has been stored inside. NO trailer. £13,5K

I need a family type rib with good sea keeping ability that i could be out with the family or be out on my own in a good blow.

Any thoughts?

Regards
Stuart
Old 22 June 2003, 06:42   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Go for the newer and better looked after Ribtec.

Keith Hart
Old 22 June 2003, 07:40   #3

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
They are both Ribtecs

Both good boats, I think the 5.85 will have a good resale value in a few years time whereas the Camel boat may well depreciate more. I have just sold a 585 and it was a brilliant boat. The Honda is good to. Im sure you can find a trailer quite easy to, I think Jahno on these forums has one for sale for 600.
Old 22 June 2003, 09:04   #4

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
The Camel is a high maintenance boat, and all the lovely electronics are now 3 years old and getting close to the end of their shelf life. It's also a very heavy boat and underpowered so you are going to suck up over 40litres per hour at 35 knots.

Itr's got good points and their is nothing wrong with it that putting a 200 opti wouldn't sort out but that's an extra 5 k on the project.

The Camel you saw I believe used to be chartered by Impression marine, and yep it would have seen some use, was it lying at Hamble

The other Ribtec sound good, but you might grow out of the Honda 90

There was a 6.5 Scorpion for sale on these pages which will waste both of these boats and I think that was going for 12.5k
Old 22 June 2003, 09:36   #5
scm

Thanks Guys,
I have to say i am not sure about the camel rib for all the points mentioned above. I think it was in the Hamble before, now in Bembridge.
H2O, Could i ask you what you sold yours for and where did you get a trailer from? PM me if you would prefer. This would give me an idea if the price is right.

Wavehumper,
Could not see a 6.5 Scorpion for sale on this site. Do you have anymore details?

Regards
Stuart
Old 22 June 2003, 10:01   #6

Town: gloucester
Make: ribtech
Length: 585
Engine: Yam 115
Hi mate,
I've got the 585 Ribtec with a 115 yamaha on and i must say it is a great little Rib. All my family love it and i've got four demanding kids and an even more demanding Mrs! She swore blind she would'nt venture out on a boat with me but after a few encouraging words from the kids out she went. Suffice to say no problems getting her out now. As for the Sea keeping abilities i launched from Lymington Saturday 8am and was in Cherbourg just after 10.30am. the sea was pretty smooth going out but coming back was a different matter, however the boat coped no problem. I am aching in places i never knew i had but have now completed my first Crossing!!!!

Spud
Old 22 June 2003, 15:02   #7

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
I bought the boat new in 1999 with a Mercury 135 Mercury Optimax, although it was slightly overpowered we wanted an Opti for fuel economy ect, it actually went fine with it on the back.

I only sold it last week and got 15k for it, actually it was to one of the chaps on these forums, it was in as new condition with a new trailer and a few extras.

I think 13.5k for the 1 your looking at is prob about right if ts all in good nick. Personaly I think the Honda would be fine on it.

As spud said they are a great sea boat, we did all sorts in our one and it coped great, wouldn't have sold it if we didn't have to fund a new big one.

The trailer was a Degraff and cost around 1500 but they do do cheaper ones.

Hope this helps

stuart......h2o
Old 22 June 2003, 20:37   #8

Scorpion was on the boat for sale section which has now been removed sorry.

Having had a look at boatsandoutboards,com then I think this one is a winner (F14636). It's a smart looking boat with a great engine. Ribtec655 witha yammie 125 and it would appear tobe in your'e price range

My reasoning over the Honda 90 is that it isn't the most powerful 90 hp engine out there. It's heavy and its pushing a fairly chunky boat. As time goes on the boat and kids ain't gonna get any lighter the engine aint gonna be more powerful so you will be bored. However I am an opiniated git and usualy talk through my ar** so make your own mind up.

My advice when buying a boat, is to arrange with the vendor that you wish to take it for a very thorough test drive and that you will pay for the fuel. Stick twenty gallons in and take the boat and the owner and the family out all day If it still turns you on after 4 hours then buy it, if you don't buy it then give the vendor 50 quid for his trouble. It'll cost you 150 quid all in and that's ok if it saves you buying a boat you are unhappy with.
Old 22 June 2003, 22:46   #9
scm

OK So i had just about made my mind up with the Camel and the 585 when there is a "normal 655" for just £500 more which is newer, bigger and a better engine size.

So i will have to go and see that then.

Many thanks for the help and advise so far.

Regards
Stuart
Old 23 June 2003, 06:52   #10

Stuart,

Any boat that's Called 'TOM TOM Pussy Catcher' gotta be considered for a family boat.

By the way H2O name is Stuart

Regards
Stuart
Old 23 June 2003, 12:21   #11
scm

Stuart's, Spud,
Thanks for your help. Going to look this eve as just sold mine today.

Will be interesting explaining the name to the kids !!!!

Regards
Stuart
Old 24 June 2003, 18:47   #12
scm

Have gone for the Ribtec 6.55.

Yes, it was very interesting telling my 8 yr girl what the name was all about !!!!

Thanks for the help. See you on the water soon

Regards
Stuart