Old 17 September 2009, 08:31   #21

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Damage to the gearbox? Get the transom area checked too - you don't want to get this all sorted & then both your new engines drop into the Clyde along with the back of the boat!
Old 17 September 2009, 09:14   #22

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Thanks for all the advice. I have e-mailed and now spoken to the dealer, made it clear that I am not prepared to accept a repair. Also spoken to the manufacturer to make sure thatb they are aware in case of any warranty issues. To be honest the dealer sounds as though he's going to sort things out, he's not very happy with the guys that dropped it! Just a bugger when you things are new and shiny.
Old 17 September 2009, 10:46   #23
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
To be honest the dealer sounds as though he's going to sort things out,
well that is a good starter for ten then eh. good luck and I hope his view remains till you get what is required in your mind to resolve the issue.
Old 19 September 2009, 13:04   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Aghia Marina/Evia
Boat name: Zuben 'Ubi
Make: Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: E-TEC 200 HO
MMSI: Ti Nafto?
Send a message via Skype™ to Nick Thomas
Assuming you hold insurance cover, you must inform your insurers asap, via your broker, of a potential claim. To delay in doing this could result a subsequent claim being time-barred. They should then appoint a Surveyor to check out the boat and the engines and determine the cause and extent of damage, also cost and nature of repairs. A joint survey will probably be carried out jointly with a Surveyor appointed by the dealer's insurers, assuming the dealer is insured of course. On receipt of the survey reports, the two insurance companies will then get together and thrash out the processing of the claim.

Meantime, I suggest that you keep a tight hold on your 7k, despite the 'nice guy' dealer and his promises. When you have someone by the balls, their hearts & minds will surely follow! Good luck.
Old 19 September 2009, 15:45   #25

Town: Morecambe
Boat name: Various
Make: Various
Length: 10m +
Engine: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Damage to the gearbox? Get the transom area checked too - you don't want to get this all sorted & then both your new engines drop into the Clyde along with the back of the boat!
It does happen, take it from me !!!
Old 19 September 2009, 19:02   #26

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thomas View Post
Assuming you hold insurance cover, you must inform your insurers asap, via your broker, of a potential claim. To delay in doing this could result a subsequent claim being time-barred. They should then appoint a Surveyor to check out the boat and the engines and determine the cause and extent of damage, also cost and nature of repairs. A joint survey will probably be carried out jointly with a Surveyor appointed by the dealer's insurers, assuming the dealer is insured of course. On receipt of the survey reports, the two insurance companies will then get together and thrash out the processing of the claim.

Meantime, I suggest that you keep a tight hold on your 7k, despite the 'nice guy' dealer and his promises. When you have someone by the balls, their hearts & minds will surely follow! Good luck.
You can do this , but you really dont want to get your own insurers involved unless you have no choice. Your own insurers will look for the cheapest fix - weld a new bit on !- not the best one for you - new engines etc. The only thing I'd be doing is making sure you have legal expenses cover in case it all turns nasty .
Old 20 September 2009, 15:23   #27
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
As previously said - get that boat well checked over! If skegs damaged then most likely more damage or stress put on boat elsewhere.

Bummer

Old 20 September 2009, 16:22   #28

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Another possibility would be to pay some of the £7000 using a credit card, quite sure that would mean the complete job would be covered by the Credit card companies insurance, under the consumer credit act 1974. amount covered is up to £30,000. (you have to pay at least £100 to get the full amount covered)