Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
"COLLECTION FROM NOTTINGHAM NG12, OR DELIVERY FOR 45P WITHIN 60 MILES"

Bargain

Old 16 July 2013, 19:24   #22

Town: Paignton
Length: under 3m
Guys seen a Honwave T25 with aluminium deck.

New £600

Are these good and is this a good buy?
Old 16 July 2013, 20:31   #23

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by carus007 View Post
Guys seen a Honwave T25 with aluminium deck.

New £600

Are these good and is this a good buy?
Great boat, but not big enough for your needs. To give you and idea, 2 blokes on a 2.5 will be permanently playing footsie and rubbing knees a lot
Old 16 July 2013, 21:58   #24

Town: Paignton
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Great boat, but not big enough for your needs. To give you and idea, 2 blokes on a 2.5 will be permanently playing footsie and rubbing knees a lot

How about the T30?
Old 16 July 2013, 22:04   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by carus007 View Post
How about the T30?
S T I L L T O O S M A L L - read the replies - we're not gonna change our minds!
Old 17 July 2013, 01:09   #26

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Stay away from that pool toy, it's a small slatted floor, worst performer of all inflatables models, engine is a poor performer on that size sib. Too much hull drag. Unless you like just boring displacement speeds...

Happy Boating
Old 17 July 2013, 15:31   #27

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Slighty belated in the thread welcome to ribnet!

As someone who bought a rib for £800 twice and got a few seasons of pretty much pain free use from one & a total engine rebuild & trailer replacement out the other I hopefully can shed some light on the "project" myths...

The first is that just 'coz its old doesn't mean it's dead. Having said that, if you are new to the rib / outboard world be very wary - there is rarely a genuine "super cheap" deal out there and if you aren't sure what to look for or it's history and you donlt have someone whao knows with you, expect surprises.

It's worth having a wee search on here for "old ribs" or "prioject" to get a feel for what can go wrong (and what it takes to fix).

- What's your engine knowledge like? If you can change the piston rings in a 16V car engine with your eyes shut then you are already a good way to being able to sort a wobbly (i.e cheap!) engine.... (I phrased that illustratively!)

Also if you wait to the end of the season, and look for separate boat & hull you are likley to get a bit more for your £ - people generally like packages, so fishing for two separate bits becomes a pain. Use that to your advantage! Likewise at end of the season people are disposing of this year's toy and there are generally less bidders....

Other things to search ebay for are the Avon Workboat and Supersport (up to 5m so potentially lots of space & can handle some big engines should you ever want to "upgrade" the hull to a RIB!) - If the seller has used the boat's name in the listing instead of "inflatable" you'd be amazed how many fall below the average buyer's radar.....

Other way of lookign at it -
Buy something old & decrepit - then do a staggered upgrade - E.g buy cheap Sib/25Hp - then trade hull in for a 4m searider, swap the engine across. A few years later take the 25 off the SR & hang a 40 or 50 on the back. A few years later put the 25 back on, sell it as a package & use the profits to fund a bigger hull on which you hang the 50. FF a few years & punt / PX the 50 for a 90 or buy another 50 & run twins...... You get the idea.

You will hear a lot of B*ll*x on here about "too underpowered". Most here would scoff at 25Hp on the back of a 4m Rib, but most dinghy sailing clubs use that very combo for rescue boats - almost always with 2 aboard.... Doing 40 knots & having power to spare is one thing. You'd be amazed how little it takes to get 18-20 knots out of most hulls.

Neeldess to say my post contains some generalisations, but hopefully gives you some food for thought.
Old 17 July 2013, 15:44   #28

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Buy something old & decrepit - then do a staggered upgrade - E.g buy cheap Sib/25Hp - then trade hull in for a 4m searider, swap the engine across. A few years later take the 25 off the SR & hang a 40 or 50 on the back. A few years later put the 25 back on, sell it as a package & use the profits to fund a bigger hull on which you hang the 50. FF a few years & punt / PX the 50 for a 90 or buy another 50 & run twins...... You get the idea
A bit like Triggers sweeping brush then
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 16:24   #29

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
To give some encouragement - I got a searider SR4 with a 40 Yamaha on it for 1100 quid , spent another few hundred and some time ( and effort ) and turned it into this. It was a near 24 year old boat & engine but went quick was safe and had space. ( some say I could have even chopped the red bit off)

Its easily doable with the right boat to start , some patience and DIY knowledge ( if its about boats it helps )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121103_113307.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	82952  
Old 17 July 2013, 16:35   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Also if you wait to the end of the season, and look for separate boat & hull you are likley to get a bit more for your £
I assume the orange thing in the sky has caused some confusion to 9d280 or perhaps he has become delirious from sunburn on his fair complexion and he actually meant separate hull and engine! Even then its not necessarily a good route for a beginner with little cash - as picking and rigging the right engine could easily waste money in inexperienced hands.

Personally for your budget I'd be looking at something like an old dory - it won't be as comfortable in the waves etc - but would give you a simple fishing platform with engine and then upgrade when money / need dictate.
Old 17 July 2013, 16:54   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I assume the orange thing in the sky has caused some confusion.............
.............Personally for your budget I'd be looking at something like an old dory - it won't be as comfortable in the waves etc - but would give you a simple fishing platform with engine and then upgrade when money / need dictate.
I think you're right about the sun, I've found meself agreeing with both Poly & Mollers in the same day
Non of the RIB solutions proposed so far, give the OP what he wants, i.e. a fishing platform
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 19:22   #32

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

can I ask a stupid question and ask why you are not going for a cathedral hull fishing boat?

something like Shetland Fishing Boat | eBay. v stable when the waves are hitting you side on. amazing build quality. lots used for fishing, can be towed by megan/ golf size car.