Old 11 May 2008, 07:52   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
What weight of anchor for a 6.5

I'm off to a boat jumble in a mo and have just realised that I really should upgrade my anchor.

I'm after a bruce type, but what weight? I was going for a 7.5kg one, but can I go lighter?

I'll be using this with 5 meters of 10mm chain and 30m of line.

I've done the usual search and can't find anything.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 10:46   #2

Town: isles of scilly
Boat name: Still Miss behavin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 250 suzuki
the size of my anchor is based on it fitting in the front locker.
i have three anchors:
one large bruce on 15m 5 mm chain and 40m rope which came with the boat. (think it may be a 7.5)
the anchor i use all the time which is a 5kg bruce on 8m of 8mm chain and over 40m rope.

and a folding grapnel on 3m 6mm and 30m rope which is stored in a jockey seat and used to trip the main anchor off.

the 5kg bruce holds my 6.8m in just about all conditions as i anchor off to go kitesurfing so winds upto 35 knots is poss' (in sheltered areas away from shorebreaks)

the secret with anchors is having lots of chain to add to the weight and keep the anchor down...then put out lots of rope to give the boat some scope.
the workboat code (slight aside) states a minimum of chain equal to or greater than the length of boat..??

but space is normally the deciding factor on a rib.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:50   #3

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I like an oversized anchor and line but space is really the deciding factor on most RIBs.
I have just set up a new 7.5kg Bruce with 5m of chain and 10m of 10mm rope permanently spliced onto the chain end and a spliced end at the end. This is my "lunch hook" for anchoring in a few metres for lunch where the boat isn't left unattended. The idea being nothing need to be done, clip on the painter and chuck overboard so with the painter there is approx 20m of line/chain deployed.
I have 50m of line to add to that if the boat is in slightly deeper water or is being left even for a short while but obviously this requires knots and laying out to use as well as to recover back in and store. I have another two 10m lengths of mooring line under the front seat giving me 85m of line and chain to deploy if necessary.
Old 11 May 2008, 11:57   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A 6kg Delta will usually outperform a Bruce of up to 10kg. The genuine article isn't cheap but there are exact replicas around for only £30.

http://www.boatgeardirect.co.uk/id14.html

Use it with just rope for normal stops and chuck some heavy chain on it when you need to.
Old 11 May 2008, 16:06   #5

Town: Fareham
Came away from the boat jumble empty handed anchor wise. There where plenty on offer but when second hand anchors are more expensive than new ones what chance do you have to pick up a bargain There was a 30kg delta type for £30 which would be a bargain for someone with a strong grip

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote