Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 May 2009, 08:06   #11
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon43 View Post
This is exactly the reason i have stayed away from posting on this forum in the past, because you get comments like this from small minded people who's limited rib experience equates to pottering round the the bay in north wales.
spouting comments that are based on little or NO knowledge. And for you information SCARP is a small island off the west coat of Lewis.
It's all just a bit of fun Horizon. I wouldn't take it personally. No good saying Downhilldai has little or no knowledge though. He's proved himself in past posts.
It's all just abit of Ribbing
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 08:12   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon43 View Post
This is exactly the reason i have stayed away from posting on this forum in the past, because you get comments like this from small minded people who's limited rib experience equates to pottering round the the bay in north wales.
spouting comments that are based on little or NO knowledge. And for you information SCARP is a small island off the west coat of Lewis.
Making a few assumptions there, aren't you?
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 08:22   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newark
Boat name: Scarp
Make: RIBQUEST 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 9
i didn't say anything regarding downhilldai?
__________________
horizon43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 08:34   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 500
To get back to the OP.

I've had experience of Avon, Zodiac and Humber ribs around 6 - 6.5m, i now have a refurbed Halmatic Arctic which i have to say wins hands down as far as a sea boat especially when carrying load. Two engines gives piece of mind as well.
__________________
GordyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 08:43   #15
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
To get back to the OP.

I've had experience of Avon, Zodiac and Humber ribs around 6 - 6.5m, i now have a refurbed Halmatic Arctic which i have to say wins hands down as far as a sea boat especially when carrying load. Two engines gives piece of mind as well.

Sounds nice Gordy!
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 08:57   #16
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,272
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyP View Post
To get back to the OP.

I've had experience of Avon, Zodiac and Humber ribs around 6 - 6.5m, i now have a refurbed Halmatic Arctic which i have to say wins hands down as far as a sea boat especially when carrying load. Two engines gives piece of mind as well.
Now THEY are pretty 'bullet proof'!and should take a cross channell in it's stride. Planning a crossing myself later in the year,and have no reservations about doing it in my 5M+ Ribcraft....WITH suitable weather.Why would anyone not ere on the side of caution,especialy on a''PLEASURE CRUISE'' with members of the family?
I see HMS's son even did it a while ago on a Zapcat! have a good one,and Good luck!
__________________
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 09:08   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Whatever boat you make the crossing in check all the weather data first. When you say across the channel from the Isle of Wight I assume you mean in the direction of the Channel Islands? If so there is a weather buoy/light ship bang in the middle that tells you exactly what it is like out there.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Hold the mouse over it and it tells you current conditions including wave height. Click and it tells you temp and forecast.

When I crossed it was 26C in guernsey - 26C in Weymouth and 11C in the middle. Ended up wearing a ski mask and goggles!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 14:52   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
... Ended up wearing a ski mask and goggles!!!
I thought that was because you were trying to be incognito to avoid the welcome party

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14698
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 17:40   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I thought that was because you were trying to be incognito to avoid the welcome party

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14698

Too right - one of JK's masks would have been better!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2009, 18:10   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 319
Thanks for all the replies guys, as with everything, it looks like it's a bit of personal preference as much as anything else
__________________

__________________
BrAinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.