Old 30 October 2010, 23:36   #1

Town: Devon
Boat name: Big Blue III
Make: Avon Adventure 580
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
What type of RIB

Hi, We currently have a yachtline 480dl (2004) with a 75 etec on and purchased this ion 2009 as we have always wanted a rib and felt the time was right for the kids as well.
We use the rib in and around Salcombe and now want to upgrade it to a bigger RIB of say 6m - dont want to go much bigger as we keep our rib in dry storage after each use (we thank our parents for that).

Anyway what I want to know is what is the best family rib to go for, as we like the set up of the ribeyes (2x2 jockey seats + 3man bench at back) - Having looked at several ribs both in Salcombe and at the boat show, we have cut the list down to about three models
RIBEYE, RIBCRAFT and AVON Adventure 620 - We want to really avoid buying new as its a hell of an outlay for only 3 weeks use a year.

So my dilema is to find a suitable rib that will grow with the kids and beable to cope with the waters between Dartmouth and Plymouth (Especially around Start Point when the tides change) - our 480 is good fun, but having got caught in a tidal change round Start Point it confirmed to us how insecure the kids felt on that occassion whereas a 6m+ rib would handle that situation (if it arose) much better - especially with the seating.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to which rib to go for, as Im lost here, Ive tried both the RIBEYE and CRAFT but not the AVON, but I cannot see a great deal of difference between the EYE and CRAFT, so some experience comments would be appreciated - realistically I want to spend a max of 20k (mines up for sale now - if anyones interested)
Regards
Old 31 October 2010, 08:46   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
A search on here will reveal that the Ribcraft would be the best regarded of the three however you made a very revealing comment:
Quote:
Ive tried both the RIBEYE and CRAFT but not the AVON, but I cannot see a great deal of difference between the EYE and CRAFT,
if you've tried both in the types of conditions you actually use it in then the fact "experienced" people would prefer the ribcraft for the type of boating they do is possibly irrelevant.
Quote:
We want to really avoid buying new as its a hell of an outlay for only 3 weeks use a year.
thats an unusually honest appraisal of your use! Have you considered any of the formal ribsharing schemes?
Old 31 October 2010, 10:22   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
'Silverfox', a 6.5m Osprey Vipermax (formerly mine) is currently for sale.
Old 01 November 2010, 11:52   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I say this as no more than a "heads up" for the inevitable discussions to follow: If you search here, you'll find a very polarised opinion on the Avon, The old phrase "one man's meat is another man's poison" is very pertinant to the Adventure.

The main moan about them seems to be lack of a Deep V (Humber Assault "suffers" the same problem), however if your idea of fun is to cruise to a beach & go ashore for a BBQ, a shallow V is going to be a h*ll of a lot more use. (I actually prefer the Dory for that sort of thing!)

I'm sure if you wait long enough one of the owners might be up for letting you have a ride, giving you the ultimate decider - your choice based on 1st hand experience!

And welcome to Ribnet!