Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 January 2012, 00:29   #1

Town: Lyndhurst
Boat name: Airborne
Make: SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
What type of jobs are out there?

Fuel bills have to be paid so I’m ideally looking for a boat related weekend job. What sorts of jobs are available for me? I am 15 so would i be able to operate as a safety boat driver? I have my own SR4 now so i am presuming i could use that, does it need to be coded or anything like that to be used as a safety boat?

I have currently done PB2 and intermediate, i am doing my vhf within the next 2 weeks and i would be doing the safety boat course as well as First aid if i was doing a safety boat driver job.

I am also interested in marine mechanics and i am eager to learn about it.

I know of only a few marine related jobs so any advice on what's out there is very helpfull

Thank you in advance for your (as always) helpful responses

Nathan
Old 03 January 2012, 09:17   #2

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Nathan,
I think 1st question is, will you get any such job until you are 16? Maybe that will be in time for the new season?
I think most safety boats for clubs etc are voluntary positions, for dinghy sailing courses, are normally manned by instructors, but stand to be corrected.

You could try 250kts who may need sea safari crew in the new season again, or other charter operators.

Boat valet companies?

Hire boat operators in Poole?

Approach some of the harbours? I recall a lad on here working for lymington harbour some time ago

Just a few ideas
Old 03 January 2012, 09:44   #3

Send a message via AIM to Nathan k Send a message via MSN to Nathan k Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan k
Thanks Neil, All good ideas
Old 04 January 2012, 18:12   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Nathan,

Can you be paid to use your own boat for safety boat work?

Probably not!

If you use your boat "at sea" (which means outside categorised waters - you need to check the MCGA website for a detailed list) and receive payment for this it will need to be coded. Coding a 4m boat will be hard work, and expensive. Coded boats can also only be driven by commercially endorsed skippers (which I think means you will need to be 18). To get a boat and skipper through coding and commercial endorsement will probably cost over £1500 so you need to be "cash rich" to start with.

What if it is not "at sea"?

If you were carrying passengers you may then require local authority licensing (which is a little simpler and cheaper than MCA coding - but only for one specific area). As a safety boat you are not carrying passengers and so this doesn't seem to apply. However anyone hiring you to do work is likely to be seeking proof that you and your boat are "fit for purpose" and so a commercially endorsed certificate is likely to be expected by anyone in the know. Unless you happen to be well connected with people in the bridge maintainence / construction type industries I think an unknown youngster is very unlikey to get through the door to discuss what you can do for them. Without having a tow vehicle and the flexibility to work wherever and whenever they need you its even more so.

What about sailing club events etc?
Some large sailing regattas, power boat races etc will need additional safety boats. Some (but not all) of these will pay for fuel, and if you are lucky throw in lunch. It generally involves lots of bobbing around doing very little and isn't very exciting unless you either know the people who are afloat or are particularly into the event that is happening. You cannot make a profit from these events (i.e. you can get your fuel, travel, lunch etc - but if they pay for your time or anything that isn't a direct expense you are into the world of coding).

What about normal sailing club duties?

Sailing clubs and dinghy training schools need safety boats. It would be very unusual for any of them to consider using your boat for this work. Most clubs staff their boats with "volunteers" drawn from their membership. Most training schools will use their instruction staff to do this. I know of a couple of really big clubs who employ safety boat staff (not near you I'm afraid), they do this so they get really good people (and to reduce the burden on "volunteers") - which means a newbie, unknown entity with a fresh certificate is unlikely to get in. I'd expect most of their recruits are club members or known to the club - as in addition to the boat handling skills they need to be mature/responsible/dependable etc. I'd think they would be seeking 16+ if not 18+ as their minimum.

other areas of the marine industry?
you might get a job at a chandlery, marina, valetting company etc at 16 - but is it really going to be any different from working in any other shop / leisure centre / hotel / car wash?
Old 04 January 2012, 18:26   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post
Fuel bills have to be paid so I’m ideally looking for a boat related weekend job. What sorts of jobs are available for me? I am 15 so would i be able to operate as a safety boat driver? I have my own SR4 now so i am presuming i could use that, does it need to be coded or anything like that to be used as a safety boat?

I have currently done PB2 and intermediate, i am doing my vhf within the next 2 weeks and i would be doing the safety boat course as well as First aid if i was doing a safety boat driver job.

I am also interested in marine mechanics and i am eager to learn about it.

I know of only a few marine related jobs so any advice on what's out there is very helpfull

Thank you in advance for your (as always) helpful responses

Nathan
Nathan, not sure how close you are to Hamble, I see that clubs use RIBS and day type boats to transport their members to and from their boats and yachts moored on the river. These are paid jobs and run all year to late in the evening. It may be worth a visit to sailing clubs and members clubs to see if there is an option to help when times are busy.
Staff are busy all season but obviously high season means longer hours and maybe more help needed.
The harbour office in the past has employed students (no idea of age ) to help in main season on harbour patrols
Old 04 January 2012, 18:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
other areas of the marine industry?
you might get a job at a chandlery, marina, valetting company etc at 16 - but is it really going to be any different from working in any other shop / leisure centre / hotel / car wash?
Well apart from a paper round and washing dishes at the local pub there is nothing else around at the moment near me, i covered a shift at the pub once for a friend and i would pay not to do that job!

I was really just hoping to find a job that i would learn from really, if i am learning from it then i am probably enjoying it as well.

Thanks for the suggestion C2 ribs, ill start looking into it.
Old 04 January 2012, 18:45   #7

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k

Well apart from a paper round and washing dishes at the local pub there is nothing else around at the moment near me, i covered a shift at the pub once for a friend and i would pay not to do that job!

I was really just hoping to find a job that i would learn from really, if i am learning from it then i am probably enjoying it as well.

I'll offer good commission on boats you find with a margin on them

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 04 January 2012, 18:53   #8

Selling is one of only things i am naturally good at; did you see my sea fox advert?
Old 04 January 2012, 19:02   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k View Post

I think under 16 you will really struggle as its a bit of a minefield for employers, and other than cheap labour there is no real benefit, when there are so many "older" workers available. You need to be doing something where pay is really rubbish and the skill level required very low to consider employing under 16's. There are some fairly draconian rules to follow - permits from local authorities, not working after 7pm; no more than 2 hrs on Sunday etc...

C2's suggestion of "yacht taxi" work is sensible - but I'd guess they will still expect 16+.
Old 04 January 2012, 19:09   #10

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan k
Selling is one of only things i am naturally good at; did you see my sea fox advert?
Don't have any problems selling them myself it's finding them

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007