Old 28 March 2011, 09:28   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: Sweet Chariot
Make: Ribcraft 5.85m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
MMSI: 235065385
Hi £500 for drilling some holes. Its an easy job only thing you have to remeber is to off set the holes from the centre line of the transome so that your boat doesnt want to go around in circle. cant remember what it is for a ribcraft but its around about an inch. Ill post it when i can remebr what it is. Either way when i did it i took about 20-30 mins at my reconning thats about £1000-£1500 pounds an hour!! thats a about a third of the the orginal budget!

Maybe i have miss read this anyway even £100 pound for a few holes is expensive.
Old 28 March 2011, 10:06   #22

Town: Southampton
Make: ZAR
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justribing View Post
Hi £500 for drilling some holes. Its an easy job only thing you have to remeber is to off set the holes from the centre line of the transome so that your boat doesnt want to go around in circle. cant remember what it is for a ribcraft but its around about an inch. Ill post it when i can remebr what it is. Either way when i did it i took about 20-30 mins at my reconning thats about £1000-£1500 pounds an hour!! thats a about a third of the the orginal budget!

Maybe i have miss read this anyway even £100 pound for a few holes is expensive.
So you can mount an engine, steering system and control box, run and set up the gear and throttle cables, connect a fuel system, filter and battery and fit the gauges all in 20 - 30 minutes?!

The industry needs some people like you!
Old 28 March 2011, 14:25   #23

No i did say i miss read it, i was saying putting four mounting bolts in four the engine is not difficult.
Old 28 March 2011, 14:49   #24

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Four water inlet holes, I mean mounting holes, not difficult?

Only if you have the equipment, knowledge and the confidence.

I personally
A) dont have the right knowledge to
B) know which equipment, never mind have the equipment I need to drill through GRP/Wood/MDF/? As back to A I don't even know what the internal part of my transom is made of and as a result
C) most importantly, due to A and B, don't have the confidence to make water inlet holes below the waterline, just to save a few hundred pounds if i had just spent somewhere between £5k and £10k on a boat!
Old 28 March 2011, 15:09   #25

Point taken. If your not confident or dont have the skills or tools thats fair enough.
Old 28 March 2011, 15:28   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL
Four water inlet holes, I mean mounting holes, not difficult?

Only if you have the equipment, knowledge and the confidence.

I personally
A) dont have the right knowledge to
B) know which equipment, never mind have the equipment I need to drill through...
Oh I can feel a classic ribnet how to drill a whole thread coming on.

Installing all the bits properly is easily a days work. Of which drilling and sealing the holes and screwing the engine in place is the easy bit.
Old 28 March 2011, 20:40   #27

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
I'm not qualified to give any advice but I'd be interested in whether the original poster is new to boating as that might affect the choice between brand new or secondhand?

We tried a boat at Soton boatshow, decided we could afford £11K to buy it and headed down to BHG to purchase. When we got there we looked at the second hand ones and ended up paying less than half for our YAM480 with a (lovely) 50HP Yam 2 stroke stuck on the back. I suspect we paid over the odds but it has cleaned up nicely and we've had great fun over the last two years.

I'm pleased we bought second hand as I'm much less paranoid about the inevitable scrapes (like discovering the Hamble bar!) that learning to rib involves! Also worth remembering that is you are new to boating all the extras mount up.....

Cheers

Neil

ps and I feel much happier drilling holes in the boat - but not anything below the water line!
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2011, 19:17   #28

Town: South Devon
Length: no boat
Neil, i am not new to boating no but new to boat owning! I am still looking for anything really been trawling through lots of different sites etc. I would go for a second hand but it would have to be the right one.

The searching goes on ........
Old 29 March 2011, 19:31   #29

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribandlandy View Post
Neil, i am not new to boating no but new to boat owning! I am still looking for anything really been trawling through lots of different sites etc. I would go for a second hand but it would have to be the right one.

The searching goes on ........
When I said less than £500 for outboard installation, it is because I did it in 2010 for just £400 to install my old Evinrude E-Tec on my old rib. I bought the engine, controls, and gauges from a dealer in the US. they were shipped to me by UPS in less than 4 days, so whilst everything was in the box, I put it back of my car and towed the boat to our local marine engineer in Brighton. He first quoted £800 to install everything but I wanted to do it myself as it was a good experience espeically on a brand new engine which has all the information and user manuals.

When I took the boat back (with outboard installed) I spent Saturday and Sunday installing everything including a GPS, and VHF radio which I had removed from my old boat.
Old 29 March 2011, 20:09   #30

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Good luck with the search!
Cheers
Neil
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2011, 14:31   #31

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribandlandy View Post
Hi all,

I have been looking at the 5m area and really want a ribcraft 4.8m but they are too pricey new and second hand seem to be non existent. Further manufacters i have looked into are Humber and ribquest. All are commercial bias boats because i prefer the look.

Many thanks
Hi did you speak to Dave at Ribquest ? Nor sure how your far your budget goes but they do look to build a good RIB with a lot of care.
I dont own one - but would definitely consider if I ever changed mine. Dave has helped me out with some refurb work and was a pleasure to deal with. Jeff
Old 30 March 2011, 18:44   #32

Town: South Devon
Length: no boat
Jeff,

I have been in contact with Dave at Ribquest yes seems a good chap. Budget needs to stretch a little but could well be an option. I dont have any experience with ribquest but i know they seem to carry a good name.