Old 11 July 2012, 08:53   #1

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
What the "cheapest" way to stay safe at sea?

What the cheapest way to stay safe at sea? I did not say cheap , I said cheapest. I would like to know what very basic sea safety requirements are for going out off Hastings. I know you can have a chart plotter and all the technology but I wont be getting that this year. I'm thinking about the most paramount safety measures that dont cost loads , basically the ones that dont use electicity really I supose. Thanks.

I'm going inshore lure fishing for bass, not miles out. Unless the wind blows me right ?
Old 11 July 2012, 09:12   #2
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
If you don't know that then I doubt you will be safe. You need to find a local forum member or someone else to help teach you basic stuff, any old fool can get a boat and head out to sea, but when the turn around or look back could lose sense of direction, you then just need some fog or bad weather or run out of fuel then you are in trouble, so do that FIRST.

For safety you need to ensure that the vessel is seaworthy as is the engine, if it is electric start have a good battery and a plan if the battery fails.

Have a second means of propulsion 1e.g. wing engine, oars

You will need lifejackets FOR ALL

Check the pressure of the tubes before you go out

Get a radio (if you have passed the course to use it and be licensed) or at very least a mobile phone in a 'waterproof cover' with the phone number of the coastguard logged in.

Tell a friend when you are going out, where you are going a a time you will be back, they they don't hear from you they will know something could be wrong.

Ensure that you have enough fuel and perhaps a little spare in another container, it is amazing how quickly it can run out and surprise you.

There are charts called 'tough books' I think, they are smaller sections of the coast in a waterproof format, but if you can blag a plotter even black and white all the better, but make sure you can understand it, same with the charts.

Have an anchor with a minimum of 2mtrs of chain for your size of boat and enough line for the areas you are visiting.

Take some basic tools and a torch

Take a spare line that can be used for towing or as a throw line.

Some smart phones have the capability for downloading charts, these are useful in an emergency as they will give you an idea of where you are dependent on the hardware you are using e.g. does it have built in GPS? otherwise it is done by signal triangulation not so accurate but not bad.

Make sure you have a KILL CORD, this will stop the engine if you depart from the RIB, if you don't the RIB could just circle around you and cut you up into pieces GET ONE!

Take some fresh water to drink and perhaps some carbohydrates in the event you need food for any reason.

Ensure you have the correct clothing for the weather, remember it can change quickly.

Flares if possible AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM

That is a start, I am sure others will chip in, good luck and BE SAFE
Old 11 July 2012, 09:20   #3

thank you sr4, basically allways prepair for the worst. I have an android phone but didnt want to rely on it, how the reception for internet out a sea? If the android can be relied on it can take out some heavy expense.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:23   #4

Its really the things like "rope" that I may stupidly overlook. Not rope but you know what I mean. Should I take the boat out on the river first or a sheltered water first. My sister has had rib training and is going to pass some knowledge on in the form of a little training session.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:25   #5

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Call the RNLI or look on thier website and ask for the details of thier 'seacheck' service. Its 100% free and will get someone with experiance and knowledge will come to you and talk you through your boat and your experiance, where you will boat and make suggestions about what you should have / get etc .

I cant stress enough its not a pass fail thing or a ticket to go out or not, but is a proper educational and helpfull discussion which you hopefully learn from.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:26   #6

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
What the cheapest way to stay safe at sea? I did not say cheap , I said cheapest. I would like to know what very basic sea safety requirements are for going out off Hastings. I know you can have a chart plotter and all the technology but I wont be getting that this year. I'm thinking about the most paramount safety measures that dont cost loads , basically the ones that dont use electicity really I supose. Thanks.

I'm going inshore lure fishing for bass, not miles out. Unless the wind blows me right ?
use the ferrys
Old 11 July 2012, 09:28   #7

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
When I started long distance cat sailing the minimum requirements were....

Buoyancy Aid
Flares
Mobile in waterproof case and/or VHF
Paddle
Drinking water

Basic navigation skills and a compass - Know Where You Are!! it's amazing how many people I take out who argue we're going the wrong way because they're disorientated, a GPS with you launch site programmed in would also be a good idea but batteries can go flat so don't rely 100% on it.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:30   #8

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I would add "the guts not to launch but to turn round and go home if the conditions (forecast or actual) exceed your experience / confidence".

When I first got my boat my father suggested I "take a grown-up with me" for the first few trips (I was 42 and it was my third boat).
Old 11 July 2012, 09:30   #9

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
i got myself an etrex 10 gps for geocaching.... it has a marine funtion that allows you to plot the course you have taken ,man overboard funtion and speed .and it didn`t break the bank at £85
Old 11 July 2012, 09:33   #10

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Engine: opti 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Call the RNLI or look on thier website and ask for the details of thier 'seacheck' service. Its 100% free and will get someone with experiance and knowledge will come to you and talk you through your boat and your experiance, where you will boat and make suggestions about what you should have / get etc .

I cant stress enough its not a pass fail thing or a ticket to go out or not, but is a proper educational and helpfull discussion which you hopefully learn from.
i`m hoping that mans you at christchurch
i think the biggy for me is try to buddy up with a ribnet member who`s done it before
Old 11 July 2012, 09:47   #11

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
I would add:
- Understand what the tides and tidal flows do in your area (tide tables for the area plus charts)
- Understand what you can hit (driftwood/ rubbish) or be stranded on (understanding the charts)
- Understand how to anchor properly to stop you drifting across the English Channel if you do hit something or the engine stops (running out of petrol is a popular root cause). You don't need the full strength of 10mm 3 plait nylon, but it hurts your hands less when pulling the anchor in than thinner stuff - look at your local charts to work out what the maximum depth of water is and add at least 50% length to that.
- Ensure that the kill cord is attached to the driver when the outboard is running (there are lots of nasty examples of the driver being thrown out of the boat and then being cut up by the circling boat with outboard still running at full power)
- Understand the "rules of the road" for when you come across other RIBS/ sailing boats/ commercial vessels
- A small compass is useful in conjunction with your charts for when the fog/ rain rolls in

To be honest, I really would advise the 2 day RYA Powerboat Level 2 course to cover all of the above and more as the very cheapest way of being safe at sea. It's about £250 ish and the knowledge gained is a good starting point (the rest comes with experience). If you don't want to pay for the course, then at least buy the book and study it well!
Old 11 July 2012, 09:49   #12
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Its really the things like "rope" that I may stupidly overlook. Not rope but you know what I mean. Should I take the boat out on the river first or a sheltered water first. My sister has had rib training and is going to pass some knowledge on in the form of a little training session.
Get as much experience as you can close to shore to build confidence and get to know the vessel, be aware of the waves or in some cases rollers that can appear and how these can flip you and what to do to prevent this. Also be aware of wash from other boats, these can be lethal if you are caught unawares in such a small boat. My main vessel is much much bigger and I still have to be aware of the same things just on a different scale. I am building up my confidence in the Searider 4 I bought, it is very different going back to a single engine after having twins even though I used to have single engined boats. I have been boating for many, many years but I am VERY safety conscious, everyone who gets on my boat gets a briefing on safety, at the end of the day if you are the owner and helming the buck stops with you!

Maybe also think about a fire extinguisher, I have bought one for my boat, fire is the one thing that still frightens me when out of sight of land with the children and my wife aboard, in some cases you may only have seconds to evacuate the mother ship so ALWAYS have a plan and 'grab bag' if possible (and know where it is!)

One last thing is perhaps get a bailer, or use a cut up milk container, you will need it!
Old 11 July 2012, 10:14   #13

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Have you done the PB2 yet? - if you are going to sea then this should really be considered mandatory especially in the light of your OP (ie asking the Q in the first place!). I can recommend doing it out of Eastbourne Marina. Too late now but last weekend at Eastbourne was the annual 999 emergency day and parade and you could have chatted to everyone from the RNLI and CG etc.

Hastings is 5 miles from me and my local boating area - not sure if you are familiar with the area but to launch there the only real option is the slip at Rye, slips the other way towards Kent or further round at Newhaven. Sadly entry into the sea in our area is poor - one of the reasons I swapped my RIB for a SIB and can now beach launch at any time (weather permitting). Some people beach launch (on rollers) from the various motor boat/fishing clubs but I have never fancied that in a larger boat than a SIB and many here will not recommend it.

Rye is not the easiest place to launch - very strong currents in the channel and you are restricted to 2hrs before and after HT - most of my launches there were not fun.

This was in the SIB section but will apply to RIBS too:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/what-ki...sib-42712.html
Old 11 July 2012, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post

Fantastic, I will do that.
Old 11 July 2012, 10:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolla View Post
use the ferrys
Get a submarine ??
Old 11 July 2012, 10:29   #16

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Get yourself on a PB Lvl II course learn at lot about safety, navigation et al money well spent !!
Old 11 July 2012, 10:34   #17
SR4

With all respect a PB level 2 is just an RYA certification and you pay for the privileged of having that bit of paper, this guy is on a budget so he can learn a lot cheaper from an experienced boater far more than is on the basic PB level 2 curriculum. I have PB level 2 by the way and more, but it costs money and some people can't afford it, it's the knowledge and experience that counts for them, not fancy or even plain bits of paper that you get charged for but agree at least you know the basics have been covered and signed off
Old 11 July 2012, 10:46   #18

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
The best bit of advice I was given was from an R.N.L.I. bloke when I first started going out in boats was "dont take the piss out of the sea or any water it will bit you and its usualy fatal"then I told him I cant swim he just laughed and said "neither can we" it made my day I couldnt stop laughing until I got back to Bicester.
Old 11 July 2012, 10:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle al View Post
The best bit of advice I was given was from an R.N.L.I. bloke when I first started going out in boats was "dont take the piss out of the sea or any water it will bit you and its usualy fatal"then I told him I cant swim he just laughed and said "neither can we" it made my day I couldnt stop laughing until I got back to Bicester.
Thats why they have boats, silly. There not cross channel swimmers, there life BOAT men, not life swim men.

My sister lives in Marsh Gibbon , near Biscester.
Old 11 July 2012, 11:04   #20

I had a little experience last year that has made me go back to the drawing board on sea worthy vessels and general healthy FEAR required to attempt to go to sea , that was on the sunniest , calmest day at the end of last summer. Could have ended in complete disaster because of a slight off shore wind and no saftey, we were only 1/2 a mile , if that, along the coast and very inshore. The coast guard told us they were the only coast gaurd in the country that had not been called out that day, sunniest of the year. It was a combination of event that created it , which showed me just hot w complicated things can get and in a second, literally fun and laughter to shi*!**!ing it in a second, like a bad fog of events, very scarey.

Yes I was an idiot, emphasis on the was. Thats why I'm acting very naeve now. I now have a sturdy boat and reliable engine...................that can be sunk or smashed on rocks just the same.