Old 21 July 2009, 14:22   #1

Boat name: Little Red
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki 4 stroke
What size of rib to garage

Looking to buy second hand rib with view to garaging it when not in use. The length of my garage is 18ft 9in. I guess I would be looking at a maximum length of 4.5m rib but It will depend upon trailer. I know some trailers have a swivel arm which may be useful but dont know much about them. Anyone any ideas about this?

Euan

Old 21 July 2009, 14:25   #2

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
A Ribcraft 4.8 will fit in a standard garage apparently. Never tried it my self though!

Old 21 July 2009, 14:33   #3

Thanks Tim

The problem will be the added length of the trailer. Dont fancy knocking down any walls into the house

Euan
Old 21 July 2009, 14:39   #4

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
urm measure it before you buy it
Old 21 July 2009, 14:40   #5

Have thought of storing it at the local marina lock up which will mean not restricted on size but not sure of security.
Old 21 July 2009, 14:58   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan View Post
Have thought of storing it at the local marina lock up which will mean not restricted on size but not sure of security.
Which marina? Probably just as secure in a marina as a garage. Garage doors are not very secure in my experience. Insurance costs made no difference when moving from my garage to either Port Edgar where I store my boat (shed locked at night, CCTV), or to a small boat yard on the west coast (not even a gate on the yard - but it was the back of beyond).

Reasons for storing at home would be (a) to save cost (b) if I headed out often in lots of different directions so going to marina to collect boat first would be a PITA.

On the other hand storing at the slipway saves faffing around with trailer boards, tie downs etc every trip. And leaves you your garage free for its proper purpose of storing random crap!
Old 21 July 2009, 15:23   #7

Thanks Polwart

It was port Edgar that I was thinking about. Sounds like that may be the answer. I will look into that and look at costs etc

Cheers

Euan
Old 21 July 2009, 16:28   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan View Post
Thanks Polwart

It was port Edgar that I was thinking about. Sounds like that may be the answer. I will look into that and look at costs etc

Cheers

Euan
Euan, Its not 100% secure (you could drive in with an angle grinder and take my boat away easily enough - and with fake plates on your car (or a stolen car) it would be impossible to catch you (although if you did arouse suspicion there is really only one road out and the police station is pretty close!), but with a wheel clamp on there is probably easier prey.

Mine lives in a shed, which is locked after hours, but is unlocked during the normal day - and obviously the other dozen or so people who use the shed all have access to the boat. I sometimes leave gear on board (tools, ropes, fenders, anchor etc). None of it has ever gone missing.

The staff are actually more diligent than I expected at checking up on the boats. I got a phone call in December to say "your boat has gone awol" - actually I had it at home for the night. Last time I was in the office I noticed there was a note for the staff to call the owner of one boat to tell him his tyre was flat.

Fees are on their website - and although they force a sharp intake of breath when they are due - they are competitive with other places of a similar ilk. Somewhere like Dalgety Bay SC will be cheaper but no option for indoor storage, and no permanent security presence on site.

Worth bearing in mind that P.E.s charges jump up if the boat is >4.6m long. If you use it alot (in the forth). then you could consider keeping it afloat too. I would use my boat twice as much if I didn't have the hassle of launching.
Old 21 July 2009, 17:24   #9

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Probably just as secure in a marina as a garage.
Can't think of anything potentially more secure than your own anonymous garage...no other boats around, no sign saying 'Boats This Way', no strangers wandering around pretending to own or browse.

Assumes you have the garage, of course
Old 21 July 2009, 18:05   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
Can't think of anything potentially more secure than your own anonymous garage...no other boats around, no sign saying 'Boats This Way', no strangers wandering around pretending to own or browse.

Assumes you have the garage, of course
I know what you are saying buy there are a large number of high value (>1000) mountain bike thefts from anonymous garages - but these are not believed to be random attacks - rather someone spots the bike on a car roofrack and follows the car to see where it is stored. I am sure the same will happen with boats.

When I used to keep my boat in a garage - everyone in my street would have known it lived there. Anyone visiting them or driving up and down the street when the garage door was open would know (and because of the other stuff we use our garages for it was open at some point most weekends).

My next door neighbour had a big bowrider thing he kept in his - and I wouldn't have challenged a stranger taking it out his garage unless they were obviously shifty, or had clearly broken in, as he would take it out with various people who would tow it from time to time.

In my experience domestic garages are pretty insecure buildings, and insurance don't require clamps etc when in a garage. I think it might be wrong to assume that your own garage is "safe". If I was nicking my boat I think it would have been "easier" at my old house (from the garage) especially if I was obviously away for the day/weekend/week than from the marina - where there is a risk of getting caught.

Personally I would like to see key pad type security on the shed door and a barrier that requires me to prove I am a berth holder to take a boat off site at the marina - but talking to the staff thefts don't seem to be a problem.