Old 06 May 2004, 12:55   #1

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
What should I look for?

Hi guys!

I'm in the market for a RIB at the moment, but I'm not quite sure what to go for. I'm looking for some really good performance and handling (reformed 130hp jetski owner!) as well as safe cruising ability.

I'd really love to be able to take it over to the Channel Islands or maybe France. What sort of size boat should I be looking at? I don't want anything enormous as it has to be launched and recovered by my Passat

Perhaps I'm asking too much? Any input would be very gratefully received
Old 06 May 2004, 12:56   #2

Oh yes, and my girlfriend wants to be able to ski behind it!
Old 06 May 2004, 13:19   #3

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
As me being a ex jet skier and jet biker if you want the same performance
as jet bikes forget a rib no boat i know of will perform like a jet bike. as for ribs ive just got my first boat three weeks ago i went for a new boat due to
warrenty. i have a vailant 4.5m vanguard with a mariner 40hp two stoke
go for the newest boat you can aford and go for a good name boat. costs for outboards will be more than the boat in most cases so look at what power you
need i don,t water ski so 40hp is fine try getting out with some of the boys
they like showing off boats good luck
Old 06 May 2004, 14:20   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Its one of those how long is a bit of string questions.

You've defined size by wanting to tow/launch/recover behind a normal saloon car. What you also need to share with the esteemed panel is your budget.

If your aspirations are cross channel then as big as poss. However given your tow vehicle then less than 6.5m probably around 5.5-6m is the size to go for. Go for as newer engine as poss - preferably new tech 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

The how much you can spend will define your choice.

HTH,
Alan
Old 06 May 2004, 14:32   #5

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hi jlanng,

Good questions, and you're not necessarily asking too much.

For good performance and handling, you probably want a plenty of power in relation to the size of RIB, depending on what you call good performance! And as far as handling goes, if you mean in all weather conditions, that probably means a deep-V hull.

For safe cruising ability, assuming that you mean long inshore/offshore passages, you probably want a hull 5.5m+ and jockey seats (or possibly bucket seats if they are your thing).

For going cross-channel, then again you probably want 5.5m+, but anything 6m+ will give you a more pleasant ride. In general, the longer the hull, the faster you can go in a given sea condition. I've never been across the channel in anything smaller than 6.5m and that was hard enough work.

And you want to tow behind your Passat. Well, I would look at the handbook and find out what the max. towing weight is. That will be a major factor. Bear in ming that if your car is 2-wd you will need to be a little bit selective about slipways (tarmac/concrete only and slime-free). And don't forget to add the trailer weight to the boat weight.

I don't know anything about water skiing!

Many people in your position go for 5.8m to 6.5m RIBs and a very popular choice is the Ribcraft 5.85 typically powered with anything from 90hp to 140hp. And for cross-channel use, make sure that a suitably large fuel tank is fitted (120 litres+) depending on where you make the crossing. We were in a similar position last year but chose a larger boat to maximise comfort, but this puts us at the limit for towing, although I daren't put my 2-wd car on a slipway with the two-ton rig in tow!

Of course, the big question is "budget?" So that will probably put a whole different slant on it.

HTH!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2004, 14:34   #6

Crikey, we both managed to say almost the same thing, and neither of us mentioned Scorpions.... D'oh!
Old 06 May 2004, 14:50   #7

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
As Alan & Richard said, its all to do with budget. If money is no object, then the new Scorpion Mk2 is the one to have (I'm surpised Richard hasn't said this in his post!! ).

One thing I will say to you is, as you are an ex jetski man (and a very powerful jetski at that!!) you will probably prefer the quicker acceleration, better holeshot and of course the sound of a direct injection 2 stroke such as an Optimax, Ficht or Yam HPDI. Failing that a supercharged Verado. Mk2 Scorp with a Verado on the back, mmmmmm!! (sorry I'm getting a bit carried away.)

edit: I see Richard has mentioned has got his word in about Scorpions after all!!
Old 06 May 2004, 17:49   #8

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I was in exactly the same situation as you, i wanted to cruise long distances but can only tow with a mid range estate car.
If you want to do channel islands cruises dont go smaller than 5.5m but realisticaly a 2wd car wont tow anything bigger than 6m up a slip way.

i searched for months to find the perfect boat, spent a long time looking for the right ribcraft 5.85 to crop up. Nothing was coming up for sale with the right seating/engine setup.
Eventually i bought new and got the perfect boat for what i want.
Petrol or Diesel was something i couldnt decide on but the enormous fuel savings was the deciding factor. I will have roughly 16 hours cruising range which could easily take me 450 miles.

ps. Will you gas guzzlers stop giving me bad reputation every time i type the word DIESEL!
Old 06 May 2004, 18:43   #9

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0
I was in exactly the same situation as you, i wanted to cruise long distances but can only tow with a mid range estate car.
If you want to do channel islands cruises dont go smaller than 5.5m but realisticaly a 2wd car wont tow anything bigger than 6m up a slip way.

i searched for months to find the perfect boat, spent a long time looking for the right ribcraft 5.85 to crop up. Nothing was coming up for sale with the right seating/engine setup.
Eventually i bought new and got the perfect boat for what i want.
Petrol or Diesel was something i couldnt decide on but the enormous fuel savings was the deciding factor. I will have roughly 16 hours cruising range which could easily take me 450 miles.

ps. Will you gas guzzlers stop giving me bad reputation every time i type the word DIESEL!
have you got your boat now, any pics?
Old 06 May 2004, 18:45   #10

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Performance -

rib v jetski you are going have no contest at least in the range of rib that your going to tow behind your car.

Cross-Channel

A rib with deep v hull.

I have been across the channel in my 5.85m Ribcraft and also across to the Scilly Isles. A good boat of this size with competant crew is more than capable of such journeys. In general terms I think its fairly widely accepted that a longer hull is likely to give you a better ride.

I'd choose jockey seats, you can stand astride them or sit on them as the conditions dictate.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2004, 20:11   #11

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Quote:
have you got your boat now, any pics?
Ive got a few pictures of the build on a film. Im picking up the finished boat next friday so ill finish off the film then and post them all over the weekend.
Old 07 May 2004, 06:20   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I think Simmonds0 has made a good choice for a new boat. dunno about water skiing though.

How much have you got to spend
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 10:01   #13

Wow!

I wasn't expecting such a great response - thanks guys I guess I ought to tie things down a bit!

VW say the max towing weight is 1500kg, but the 85% figure is 1330kg.

That's all very well, but pulling something that heavy up a slip isn't going to be easy with 2WD.

My budget is around the 8-10k mark. Therefore, I'm looking at second-hand boats.

My father-in-law is owed a big favour by a local Mercury dealer so I may be able to get an Optimax 150 at cost price or even less? (If anyone knows how much the trade price is, I'd really like to hear from them!)

Thanks!
Old 07 May 2004, 10:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanng
My father-in-law is owed a big favour by a local Mercury dealer so I may be able to get an Optimax 150 at cost price or even less?
I think you've just made lots of friends!!

Mind you, if that local Merc dealer happens to browse these forums, possibly anonymously...
(There's always the edit button! )
Old 07 May 2004, 10:32   #15

Town: Newfoundland
Hmm

I used to launch a 6.45m BWM reasonably succesfully with a Mondeo. Mind you as a company car I wasnt so bothered about how it got treated

150 Opti even at trade is going to be what £6kish so that wouldnt leave much for boat & trailer purchase. I would guess that with your budget you prob'ly are going to be looking at 5-5.5m RIBS.

Happy hunting!

Alan
Old 07 May 2004, 10:46   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
with th emerc dealer connection you have to get an Opti. try for a 150 but if you must get the 115. The 150 is good for up to 7 metres and the 115 is good for up to 6.

You might want to talk to ED at Olmec and see if he has any spare hulls knocking about..

theres a guy called fillsmiff on this forum who is selling a couple of hulls without engines. he has a tasty northcraft with new tubes that's 6.5 m and just begging for an Opti. Phil is a friend of mine so I'll declare the link now but he does enjoy a haggle so call him if you want.

he also has an old searider hull 5.4 exforces which would be superb with a 115 after you have strengthened the transom.

Also advertise on here and Boats and outboards fo a Rib hull/tubes and see what comes up
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2004, 13:24   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If you want fun....150 or 200hp on a 6.5 or bigger and change the car/buy a tow vehicle..