Old 23 January 2003, 11:04   #41

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Jon F

CAN YOU GIVE IT A REST PLEASE!!
I'm telling you this polietly for the last time!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2003, 11:11   #42

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Manos, I was trying to be constructive! so calm down, and please don't threaten me!
Old 23 January 2003, 18:52   #43

Town: Cheltenham
Jordon,
I have alarm bells ringing with you trying to launch a 5.5m rib off a trailer and out from a beach. This is going to be hard work due to the weight of the boat but also potentially very dangerous.

If you have a rib I would stick to using a slipwap, beaches come with an additional list of problems / considerations.

Beach launching involves preciese timing to get the boat afloat and moving out of the breaking waves. If you have been doing this already then you should know that an inflatable in surf cn be dangerous and hard work

You need to think about recovery also, you may need to drive up the beach to get clear of the breaking waves.

Now with a sib you can drag it around, but its a different game with a 5.5m tornado or other reasonable build rib.

I know its not neccasrily the answer, but if you do a lot of beach launches a sib could be more appropriate.

Tiger
Old 23 January 2003, 22:45   #44

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Fully agree. Someone tried beaching a (by chance) Tornado in roughish water on the point next to my house last year. We bust a skeg, prop, and split the hull on the lifeboat trying to get them off. Recovered the next day at lower tide using a FWD bale lifter onto a tractor and trailer.
Old 23 January 2003, 22:51   #45

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Jordan

for someone who started this post you aint saying much, do you read the posts ?

come on young lady
Old 24 January 2003, 04:48   #46

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
good point Matiboy!

I still reckon this is a windup! The real Jordan wouldn't be able to get close enogh to a keyboard to type anyway!
Old 24 January 2003, 08:14   #47

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
The best method I've used to beach recovery, bar the Lifeboat special tractors, was at Deal Sailing club, were its steep shingle. They have a winch and a track of half poly gas pipes. You have to time the waves correctly drive up the pipes (remembering to lift engine etc or its ) jump out clip on winch and get pulled out of the way before next big wave. If you mess this up, your boat end up side on to the waves full of water geting pounded in the surf, not idea.
Jelly
Old 24 January 2003, 16:50   #48

You have to time the waves correctly drive up the pipes (remembering to lift engine e

Jelly,

As we both went through that experiance more than once at Deal, I think the main point for the likes of Jordon to remember is that if the boat is getting broken up, whats the person under it going to feel like!!!

Got to get it right, you will be lucky to get a second chance with damage to you or the boat as we saw that week.

If its not clipped on and the boat turns broadside, which it will do about 30 seconds after reaching land, then you face the tricky situation of getting a line on to the boat to pull it up the beach to safety. This involves wading up to a 1 ton boat bounching aup and down about 1 m in the surf.

NOT a good place to be!!

So as I said before, you need to drive up the beach in that situation to get clear of the dumping surf and dont worry about a few scratches on the hull, it could be much worse!

Tiger
Old 25 January 2003, 19:59   #49

Tornado

Went to see the rib this afternoon,I brought a guy from our college dive club to give me a hand,the rib was in a very poor state, the battery terminals all coroded and had to be jumped with a car to start the rib, the pod seats were torn and the sponge was showing, the rib had large scuffs on the hull and the gel coat was damaged showing the surface underneath.When you tried to turn the steering wheel it was really hard and stiff.The cabe must be rusty, I knew immediately it was big enough but its condition was too bad, amongst other things there was lots of wires showing at the console with rusty bolts bolting the controls into place,the engine was really rattley, the end of the engine was immersed in a bin full of water and when the engine revs were reduced the water jet almost stopped, the guy selling the boat immediately dropped his price, he wanted 8750 euro he dropped to 8200 before I even asked him a question,Mike the guy who brought me down to have a look at the boat reckons he dropped the price because he was trying to impress me, who cares why as long as you get a bargin so I gotta keep lookin Jordan
Old 27 January 2003, 12:52   #50

You were right to take someone with experiance and may be right to walk from that boat, but there arte a few points to consider.

The condition of the hull needs to be reasonable, but you cant expect miricles. If it has been knocked then it needs to be well repaired and you need someone to advise you on that.

Torn seat cover, so what, it can be replaced, take £150 off the price.

Stiff steering could be a number of things, though rust is less likely. Among other reasons, you tend to find that the steering get stiff because of dry dirty grease or just before the cable snaps!

Budget for new cables (steering & throttle) for your own safety, they tend to be changed every 2-3 years I think?

Ratterly engine! Well here is the biggest gamble in buying a boat. a weak tell tail is not enough to condem the engine, but you have to be sure it can be brought back to life.
Loose rattles can be traced, though not easy.

Im not the most practical of people, but I know when things arn't right and know when to ask questions. If you can ask the right people the right questions, then you may find an honest boat.

In the mean time, continue to be cautious.

Tiger
Old 27 January 2003, 13:05   #51

Town: Newfoundland
This might be out of your budget

but I came across a well set up Ribcraft 585 yesterday. Ex police or customs as it still has the blue flashing light on the A frame! Double console, 4 jockeys, 135 Mariner & trailer. Well kitted out as you would expect from a working boat. Looked all in good nick for £11450. Brokers are Interyacht at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, Levington. (I have no association with either them or the boat!)

Alan
Old 27 January 2003, 14:36   #52

? ex Essex police diving unit ?
Old 27 January 2003, 15:56   #53

Town: Newfoundland
Dunno exactly but I'dve thought not as two side by side jockeys and console leaves no room for kitting up divers plus no bottle rack. The boat normally lives afloat in the marina. I reckon police, coastguard or customs but its not marked in anyway.
Old 27 January 2003, 16:16   #54

Enviroment Agency had some Ribtec/ribcraft 5.85's but normally with 4 strokes.
Jelly
Old 27 January 2003, 19:16   #55

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Dunno exactly but I'dve thought not as two side by side jockeys and console leaves no room for kitting up divers plus no bottle rack. The boat normally lives afloat in the marina. I reckon police, coastguard or customs but its not marked in anyway.
Commercial divers rarely have a bottle rack (SDDE), CG label theirs, Environment Agencies cannot use blue lights, possibly customs. There's another coming up for sale extremely similar via Essex then somewhere in that area.
Old 28 January 2003, 08:54   #56

Phill
The Fisheries part of EA do have blue lights, but their boats normally have touch more horse power on the back. So probabbly not theirs.
Well this digresses from the thread nicely
As Tiger and others have said, use your contacts and the chances are that for a lower budget you will have to do some work yourselves if you can to keep the prices down. Cables and seats can all be fixed easily. For cheep seat covers try asking the local coach company who they get to repair their seats as that is often a cheep option.
Watch out for wiring problems showing lots of rust and other water problems as once you get water in the looms replacing that is not the easiest of jobs fo DIY.
Jelly
Old 28 January 2003, 18:42   #57

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
If your buying second hand Rib consider a rcd cat CE mark B for a offshore rib.

If you happy using near the coast then a rcd CE mark cat C rib will be fine.

If your buying a workboat for pleasure then please bear in mind that the stability regs for new offshore pleasure ribs Iso 12217 havnt come in for no reason in offshore boat design.

At present the insurance companies have a cross over and are not insisting on stability regs for offshore work boat ribs, but I am of the oppinion it is only a matter of time before it will come into force.

As it is the perfect reason to limit our range and therfore there responsibilities.

Good luck and it may be 5/10 yrs before this happens who knows?