Old 20 January 2003, 16:18   #21

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Hey Guys!!

I discovered them first!!!

First come first served here!!!

LOLOLOL

Any takes for surveying the seals??
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2003, 08:11   #22

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Hey Guys - DOWN
If this is the reaction they every girlie gets when asking for help its going to stay lonely out there! They're going to get put off.
On the other hand if this a wind up like the last one-well
Jelly
Old 21 January 2003, 08:50   #23

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
What last one?
Old 21 January 2003, 11:27   #24

A little river cruise and the picture supplied was an actress
Old 21 January 2003, 22:43   #25

Advice n questions

Apoligises for not updating my post ,I have just returned from Galway in the west of Ireland, over the weekend we travelled out to some of the places where there is a lot of seal activity.The rib we were out in over the weekend was a Lencraft, I believe they are Irish made , it was a fantastic boat able to handle the waves with ease, it was 6.5 m long with a Honda engine on the back.We are going to look at a 5.5m tornado this weekend with a view to possibly buying the rib for our research, it has two pod seats one in front of the other, anchor locker to the front with a 60hp Mercury engine, does anybody know about Mercury, where they part of OMC .The pics of the girls on the beach made me laugh ,but we dont get the weather to be going out like that,I know drysuits are the better option for boatig ,but wet suits will probably be what we end up with due to budget.Most of our trips will involve photographing seal pods and on occasion we will have to land on islands or beaches, how difficult will it be to relaunch a beached boat in rough weather, is it a one person job or will all hands be reqd, Jordan
Old 22 January 2003, 00:17   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
some one had to do it....

It may as well be me!!! Let me apologise now!

Aren't you a famous glamour model with built in flotation devices!

I agree with jon, this has to be a wind up.

Old 22 January 2003, 00:33   #27

you know the one!

aka katie price!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jor1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1610  
Old 22 January 2003, 00:37   #28

come on you were all thinking it!!!

I will assume that this is not a wind up (for now) and offer some advice.....

Seriously though, I have a Tornado 4.8 which handles quite well and the 5.5m I used to go out in with a local diving club, handled even better. Word of warning though, check the tubes (PVC), particularly along the seams. They are known to give up and can be costly to repair if they can be repaired at all.
Old 22 January 2003, 05:34   #29

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Jordan

Hi,

Sorry for the pics of the girls but couldn't resist the temptation.

Re dry suits I have found a sourse in SAfrica (and if you are not in a hurry) they sell for 50-55 pounds per pair. Proper breathable with boots. If you are interested details will be posted in the dry suit Thread mid/end next week.

Re the boat please advise your budget. You never said how much you want to spend??
Old 22 January 2003, 07:25   #30

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
What Boat

Hi Jordan,

I too have been looking at secondhand craft. It took me about 4 months to find the right combination that suited my budget £6K.

However, I now have a Humber Attaque 5.3m with a Mariner 90Hp 2stroke. 2seat pod with 50ltr inboard fuel. It is a very nice combo and handles the sea well. It has a deep vee on the front and quite narrow in the beam, marks turining fun!

Do not be in too much of a hurry to buy look very carefully, there is a lot of rubbish being advertised as qualityy, and for a beginner it could prove very costly.

With regard the wet suits I use both Wet & Semi Dry but I would advise some form of over top to cut the wind chill. A good cagoole works fine.

Good Luck & Happy Boating
Old 22 January 2003, 08:09   #31

Jordan
If you are on a tight budget and can't afford a drysuit then a reasonable set of oilskins/foul weather waterproofs will do the job instead. They have been the mainstay of sailing club safety for years, not the best option.

Another idea for a cheep boat it an ex MOD 5.4m Searider. Not the flashist of boats and you've got to check them over well as some have seen some life, but were strong boats to begin with and have been looked after reasonably well. If you do a search on this site for Babcocks you'll get the link.
Boat £2K(VAT if UK), 1-1.5K Trailer + engine. If you can find a second hand fourstroke 60HP that should do the job. IF you are going to be trolling around looking at seals then its lots of going slow, so a fourstroke will be better than a squirter 2 stroke. IMHO
Hope this helps
Jelly
Old 22 January 2003, 13:25   #32

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Jordan, Mercury were not part of OMC (now Beaufort Companies owned). Mercs are terrific race bred engines, but due to that I don't think they are the best for your apparent level of knowledge. (Now watch the postings fly!). Launching a beached 5+metre anything into rough water is hard. You are going to require your full crew and a severe amount of experience, (and if done regularly a few spare props) !
Old 22 January 2003, 19:09   #33

finance

Guys guys guys calm down, forget about Katie and Manos friends in bikinis, I am trying hard here to get some advice,I know its hard to believe but girls do go out in ribs, we need to choose a rib as the boat we used to go out in , a large inflatable Zodiac, has really had its last outing, it leaks has patches and is sun bleached, three people could easily recover this from a beach, but for longer trips this is just not the boat,what is the difference between 2 and 4 stroke, does it matter, does anyone know if it is possible to re set the rubber fendering on the side of a rib, this is an issue with the 5.5 Tornado as it has come unstuck at the back of the rib, the rib has no patches on it and has not been antifouoed ever so this should help when we look it over at the weekend as the hull will be free from paint, and I do want to check the hull to ensure its sound, our budget may stretch to 10k euro ,not much I know, part savings part loan.we already have some equipment between the three or four of us who will undertake this research, lifejackets and flares, a handheld radio and my brother has large plastic tanks in his garage to double as fuel tanks if we need spare capicaty, stowage only, I have bought a waterfilled compass and a Garmin gps is on order from a shop in Dublin, deposit paid, stuff like that is okay to make decisions on but I value the pointers on the pitfalls of ribs ,The pic below is a 4 month old female seal pup taking a break Jordan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	un.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1613  
Old 22 January 2003, 19:25   #34

Boat name: Yes
Make: Assorted
Length: <
Engine: 8m
Four stroke more expensive to buy and heavier, less torque, but - a fraction of the running costs in fuel. Sticking strakes back on, no probs - you just need the correct glue for the material (which is usually hypalon or PVC based). The wrong glue doesn't b----r up the actual material - it just doesn' t stick. I still think you're entering a different league of problem in beaching and recovering RHIBs vs SIBs tho'.
Old 22 January 2003, 20:36   #35

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
Jordan

if you know very little about boats / ribs , how on earth can you begin to start looking for one yourself

the simple answer is dont

If you are a genuine post and not a windup as suggested by many, simply inlist the help of a forum member who is based in Ireland to do so for you

Alternatively, lay your trust in one of the many experienced people here ( many of which will have contacts in the industry ) to help obtain a boat for you on your behalf

dont rush into buying something

Called me paranoid but I still think you may have some more convincing to do

Oh and 10k euro will be ample to buy a decent secondhand rib to suit your purposes, although the secondhand market may be not so widespread as over here

Come on then give us some more details of this seal project
Old 22 January 2003, 20:50   #36

Jordan

I take it that the post is not a windup.
So, for Euro 10,000 you can buy many 2nd hand RIBs that are on the market
A 5 mtr AVON with a 70 BHP (2-stroke) comes in mind - about GBP 4,500.00.
Checking the hull: You need a meter to measure dampness in the hull. Also you need someone with experience to advise you because if there are any small cracks on the hull you will never notice.
While you examine the hull knock it with your fingers and check that the sound is uniform. But again you need someone who knows how it suppose to sound like.
My friendly advise Jordan and with no disrespect to you is take someone who knows about boats or RIBs with you otherwise you may just be giving your money away.
Good luck!!

PS: I think there are few people from the RIB Net that are based in Ireland. The names that come to mind is Gavin's and Scotty's. They may be able to help you locally
Old 22 January 2003, 20:56   #37

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Beaching ribs etc.

Hi Jordan,
Beaching a rib and handling it in rough sea is very difficult. As an example, on one occasion, a larger than usual wave came up the beach and lifted our rib just above the average wave travel. We needed to wait for the next tide to free it - the following morning. Gluing boat fabrics is not difficult. Tornado boats are usually polyeurathane and this is said to be the most difficult of the 3 commonly used materials. Unfortunately, this is the one I have never glued but I wouldn’t be frightened of it, after all, Tornado do it in a normal workshop. These things are rarely as much of a problem as some would have you believe. Other methods of handling the rib at a beach are the running line and simply anchoring and and using a wee tender. You do get wet but if you’re in dry suits it not going to be too much of a problem. Is 5.5mts the maximum length of rib you would consider?
JW.
Old 22 January 2003, 21:05   #38

Jordan

Check out this RIBNet link

http://www.rib.net/forsale.htm

There are plenty of RIBs for sale @ your price range.

On the photos all look very nice. But who knows.
Old 23 January 2003, 09:01   #39

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Manos,
When you're inspecting a boat hull and you're "knocking it with your fingers" listening for a uniform sound, do you not think the "sound may change as you knock in the area of say, a bulkhead, frame, balsa or foam sandwich, stringer or other structural part of the boat?(with some boats maybe a old eggbox or some papier mashe that,s been glassed in for stiffness!)

You could have the poor girl (or wind up merchant) pulling thier hair out, tapping away with it sounding like a zylaphone!

Kind regards, Jon Fuller
Old 23 January 2003, 09:24   #40

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
New Boat

Hi Jordan

Below is a Rib for sale on this site. This would be a perfect Ribs for you, they are good sea boats and this one is set up with twin engines for safety etc and its in your budget.

Ribtec 6m
Twin Mariner 60hp outboards

£7,495

1996 6m Ribtec, coded for hire in the Solent so full of gear! 100 litre fuel tank. Twin 60 hp Mariners. Big A-frame with all add ons, with Garmin f/f and VHF. Re ad due to let down hence cheap sale price

Contact Paul Manser on 07798 730505 or email paul_manser@yahoo.com