Old 29 September 2012, 15:01   #1

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Northern Storm
Make: North Diver?
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 Autolube
MMSI: 235096344
What Lifejackets

I have fished on boats for a couple of years wearing an auto lifejacket & ive been in blyth rnli for 8 month now and we use jackets with bouyancy aid & manual inflation.Im worried that if i get a good soaking whilst on the rib it may trigger the sensor and inflate the auto jacket perhaps?
So the big question is what do you reccomend????

Auto or manual, maybe even a good bouyancy jacket????
Old 29 September 2012, 15:38   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Automatic. Get one with a Hammar inflation system, rather than the Halkey Roberts type. Hammar are activated by water pressure, rather than softening of a "pill" that releases a firing pin. The Halkey Roberts type certainly CAN be triggered by repeated heavy splashing...
Old 29 September 2012, 15:39   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Even a good soaking shouldn't trigger the auto-inflation. If you were unlucky enough to hit your head if you go overboard, then a manual release lifejacket will remain un-inflated if your unconscious.

I'm using Seago 175N auto lifejackets. I check them regularly and replace the firing mechanism at its replace date. It's expensive if you buy the recharge kits with CO2 bottles - and there's no reason to replace the gas bottle unless the lifejacket has been inflated. This is a good site for recharge kits, etc. Lifejacket Rearming Kits, CO2 and Parts - Lifejacket Gas, Lights, Hoods, Lifelines, Straps - Products - Marine Warehouse Ltd
Old 29 September 2012, 15:56   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Even a good soaking shouldn't trigger the auto-inflation.
Rain and such won't - but repeated heavy splashing can. Been there, got the wet tee-shirt...
Old 29 September 2012, 16:09   #5
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
only one issue with hydrostatic, if it does get activated after falling in, it is advised not to change the firing system without doing a 24 hr, inflation test afterwards.

So unless you wang to keep fully inflated jacket till you get home, you best carrying a spare.

I have also heard the hydrostatic have inflated in yachts with a gust of wind!

regards

S.
Old 29 September 2012, 16:10   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Rain and such won't - but repeated heavy splashing can. Been there, got the wet tee-shirt...
I take it we're talking the full para handy (water in the wheelhouse)!
Old 29 September 2012, 18:42   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I take it we're talking the full para handy (water in the wheelhouse)!
Buckets of it - like the "effects" in old nautical movies...
Old 29 September 2012, 22:06   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
i work in the oil industry and we do helicopter ditch training once out of the simulator you have to pull the release on the manual jacket your wearing(cant wear auto in aircraft) i'm used to being in water good swimmer waterskied for years kayaks etc i got out of the simulator tried to find the toggle to inflate jacket couldnt find it.rescue swimmer puts the toggle in my hand i pull it & it slips out of my hand (cold wet hands) swimmer gives me it again same happens guy gets sick and pulls it for me!
my point is i wasnt stressed i was wearing a survival suit knew i was going to get dunked i like playing in water but in a swimming pool with no waves or tide i struggled to activate the jacket
i wouldnt have a manual jacket at any price id rather wear a titanic style foam jacket then at least id know i was safe we wear crewsaver 190n zipped jackets on our boat which look like they would be difficult to get wet by splashing & are v comfortable
we did have an older auto jacket inflate in a damp locker so we just hang them in a dry open area now
Old 30 September 2012, 04:25   #9

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
tie a bit of 10lb "or line lighter than the breaking strain of the cord" fishing line round the toggle and then round your steering wheel if your out and the sea gets doggy, if you go overboard you'll auto it that way. If you cant afford new jackets and are concerned that is.
Old 30 September 2012, 06:24   #10

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Security comes first - If you can't afford auto life jackets you should at least use the standart non inflatable ones.

Attaching yourself to the boat using a long line is an idea

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 08:45   #11

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
tie a bit of 10lb "or line lighter than the breaking strain of the cord" fishing line round the toggle and then round your steering wheel if your out and the sea gets doggy, if you go overboard you'll auto it that way. If you cant afford new jackets and are concerned that is.
How long till you forget you are tied on jump off at a slip/jetty and POP you are inflating. You shouldn't be expecting lots of accidental activation event with the tablet firing system. They are worn by sailors on deck when changing sails in some pretty heavy seas. Most have never had an accidental activation. A few have on deck at least as many say they've gone off in the locker!

SPR says you should do a 24 hour pressure test - nice to have, but if my LJ pops I'll be emptying it, puting it away with a new cylinder attached and then test it later when I get home. if the seal failed badly the first time you'd know about it (pressure testing for 24 hours means you are looking for small leaks) - if its a small leak and you are conscious you can top it up by mouth. I assume thats what Scott means and not that you've screwed the new cylinder on well enough... if thats the concern then just be careful when you screw it on till you can test it...

If you are unconscious you cant top it up... ...I'm sure the MAIB will enjoy writing 100 page report about the inadequacy of your equipment.
Old 30 September 2012, 09:15   #12

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken
i work in the oil industry and we do helicopter ditch training once out of the simulator you have to pull the release on the manual jacket your wearing(cant wear auto in aircraft) i'm used to being in water good swimmer waterskied for years kayaks etc i got out of the simulator tried to find the toggle to inflate jacket couldnt find it.rescue swimmer puts the toggle in my hand i pull it & it slips out of my hand (cold wet hands) swimmer gives me it again same happens guy gets sick and pulls it for me!
my point is i wasnt stressed i was wearing a survival suit knew i was going to get dunked i like playing in water but in a swimming pool with no waves or tide i struggled to activate the jacket
i wouldnt have a manual jacket at any price id rather wear a titanic style foam jacket then at least id know i was safe we wear crewsaver 190n zipped jackets on our boat which look like they would be difficult to get wet by splashing & are v comfortable
we did have an older auto jacket inflate in a damp locker so we just hang them in a dry open area now
Another one for the 190n crewsaver and very comfortable to wear
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 09:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
If you can't afford auto life jackets you should at least use the standart non inflatable ones.
A non-inflatable one? I assume you mean like this:
150N Air Foam Lifejackets and Life Cribs from Crewsaver

They have inherent bouyancy from the jacket plus bouyancy by manually filling from the tube. They wont turn you on your back until manually inflated so if you bang your head as you go over its possibly no better than a manual! (except they'll find your body).
They have no spray hoods etc. And are bulky and cumbersome.

Oh and that particular model is £120!! You might find it cheaper elsewhere or cheaper second hadn on ebay (but beware old ones that are past their best!)

The ultimate would be:
Baltic M.E.D./SOLAS Rescue Lifejacket

If you have a spare £600!

Auto inflation 150N lifejackets cost ~£40-50 upwards. You wont get a spray hood etc for that, but you should be able to get an auto with a hood and crotch straps and add a light seperately for under £100, leaving you £20 spare to get a second cylinder.

Parmaris Raider Lifejacket 150N with Harness for Yachting Boating

Jacket, crotch straps, light & hood - <£90

Extras that can be added to any jacket:

Light:
Lifejacket Light Uml Sea Flash Water Activated

Hood:
Parmaris Spray Hood Standard 150N 275N

Not recommending specific products just providing examples

If your going for a non-inflatable jacket I'd want to know what your chances of rescue are? Are there other boats going out with you? Will you single hand? Will you have a handheld VHF in your pocket so if you get seperated you can seek help.

As for the RNLI - they use a foam + inflation model because they expect their guys to go in the water but not to want 150N+ of bouyancy round them. Its going to be unusual that an RNLI guy ends up in the water by accident, unconscious and the rest of the crew can't return to his possition is seconds...
Old 30 September 2012, 09:26   #14

Should have said I have a bouncy aid if I'm likely to go in the water (would always have extra cover around) and I wear a Kru Sport Pro (mine is the Harness model with hood - £150) the non-harness mode is £90-100 but has no hood.
Old 30 September 2012, 09:26   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Its going to be unusual that an RNLI guy ends up in the water by accident, unconscious and the rest of the crew can't return to his possition is seconds...
But it does happen, sadly
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 09:41   #16

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Having changed my own Hammar firing units and tested them overnight as per instructions put on here at the time, it doesn't seem to be rocket science to get them to seal, though I accept that doing it on a moving RIB might be harder than doing it on the kitchen table.

Interestingly, I came by some Hammar units a while back that were out of date, dunked several, and can confirm they all worked perfectly in just a few inches of water. So, while it wouldn't be recommended, I'll probably keep the old ones on board as if I need them, an inflator that's highly likely to work is better as a "get you home" if the LJ triggers than not having one.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 10:01   #17
RIBnet Supporter

I always carry a spare lifejacket when on a RIB - it's much handier than faffing with a refill and you can offer it to a surprise passenger if required.
Old 30 September 2012, 10:06   #18

Should I worry that google adds is now offering me life insurance!

Willk when you've offered the surprise passanger the spare and then one goes off what the plan?
Old 30 September 2012, 10:16   #19
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Willk when you've offered the surprise passenger the spare and then one goes off what the plan?
So far I've had to contend with either one or the other, not both. I suppose I could either chuck the extra passenger back from whence they came or make 'em wear the inflated jacket

Now, I realise that you were havin' a larf, but on a more serious note, while I like to plan for trouble and pack a fairly serious kit list - I don't sweat too much about the "end of the world" scenarios that seem to bother some. Sh1t happens and sometimes it will happen to me. Stay warm and call for help is generally my Plan C.
Old 30 September 2012, 10:17   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Should I worry that google adds is now offering me life insurance!
That Google yoke is very astute - it musta worked out that your were taking the p1ss outta me...