Old 18 October 2012, 16:08   #41

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
You need to make sure that the pin (that punctures the CO2 canister) has retracted properly. On the non-hammar auto jackets, the auto cartridge is sprung loaded and will push the pin up, and the manual firing toggle pulls a lever which also pushes the pin up.

If you've fired it manually (or if a new green plastic retaining clip thing came with the refill kit) then you can operate the handle and see the pin move in and out.

When you re-arm, take off the CO2 cartridge and the auto-fire unit. Check the pin has retracted, and that the o-ring seal is OK where the CO2 cartridge screws in. Replace the green plastic retaining clip on the manual lever (if required) - and then fit the auto-fire unit. BEFORE you fit the CO2 cartridge , double check that the pin is still down (I've had a couple of dodgy auto units) - and then fit the CO2 cartridge. The CO2 cartridge should be tight (by hand) against the o-ring seal.

Then get into a proper fight repacking the b*****d into it's outer cover......
Brill thanks v much, i'll check the jacket tomorrow. If its not retracted is it just a case of pushing it back manually and waiting for it to click into place?
Old 18 October 2012, 17:38   #42
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
If the auto unit went off, you'll need to take it off before the pin will retract - the spring will hold it out. Once the auto unit is off it should go straight back in. If it won't retract when you've taken it off, then try the manual lever to see if that moves it in and out.

If it still won't retract - the mechanism might be knackered - so you might need to go and get professional help!! I've never had this happen on any of my jackets - but there'is always a first time...

D...
Old 19 October 2012, 11:13   #43

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
If the auto unit went off, you'll need to take it off before the pin will retract - the spring will hold it out. Once the auto unit is off it should go straight back in. If it won't retract when you've taken it off, then try the manual lever to see if that moves it in and out.

If it still won't retract - the mechanism might be knackered - so you might need to go and get professional help!! I've never had this happen on any of my jackets - but there'is always a first time...

D...

Marvellous, thanks for the help