Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
A non-inflatable one? I assume you mean like this:
150N Air Foam Lifejackets and Life Cribs from Crewsaver

They have inherent bouyancy from the jacket plus bouyancy by manually filling from the tube. They wont turn you on your back until manually inflated so if you bang your head as you go over its possibly no better than a manual! (except they'll find your body).
They have no spray hoods etc. And are bulky and cumbersome.
No, i actually meant something like This

I used those on my old boat for passengers - I have a manual lifejacket and also an automatic one when im alone.

The non-inflatable ones turn you on your back and they won't ever malfunction, the only disadvantage is that they're extremly bulky.

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 12:03   #22

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Northern Storm
Make: North Diver?
Engine: Yamaha 90 Autolube
MMSI: 235096344
Keep it going this is good thread, various opinions & views
Old 30 September 2012, 13:02   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Willk when you've offered the surprise passanger the spare and then one goes off what the plan?
Much the same as when he blows up the drive leg on the test boat - he'll make a phone call and activate the back up plan!

Quote:
SPR says you should do a 24 hour pressure test - nice to have, but if my LJ pops I'll be emptying it, puting it away with a new cylinder attached and then test it later when I get home.
Quote:
and I wear a Kru Sport Pro
This is only necessary for hammar based jackets; the hardest bit of rearming yours is getting it to fold neatly back into the cover and the velcro closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogmonster
it doesn't seem to be rocket science to get them to seal, though I accept that doing it on a moving RIB might be harder than doing it on the kitchen table.
I'm disappointed that the unofficial marketing arm of Redbay haven't pointed out that good ribs have kitchen tables for this very purpose (I've certainly seen no evidence of cooking at them)!
Old 30 September 2012, 14:11   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Much the same as when he blows up the drive leg on the test boat - he'll make a phone call and activate the back up plan!
Hey, don't knock a plan that works. Been towed in three times now by an "11 meter backup plan" and let me tell you, it beats paddling...
Old 30 September 2012, 14:14   #25
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
I was referring to the hammar type, it surprising how hard it is to get it air tight in a class room, never mind being on a boat.

the hammar the bottle I'd inside the jacket and to replace you work through a hole in the bladder.

normal life jackets - are easier and straight forward since they are all external and you not compromising the bladder...although a pressure test on returning from home or even a service is recommended.

S.
Old 30 September 2012, 14:15   #26
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

Hey, don't knock a plan that works. Been towed in three times now by an "11 meter backup plan" and let me tell you, it beats paddling...
and saves petrol or diesel!
Old 30 September 2012, 14:16   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I'm disappointed that the unofficial marketing arm of Redbay haven't pointed out that...
They're* missing a lot of tricks P., I'm getting concerned, I mean, it's not that they aren't keen - they are, but they don't have the hunger, the Will to Win.

If they don't pick up the pace, I'm gonna hafta quit this cushy Mod number and go back to me old job...

* Youse know who youse are
Old 30 September 2012, 14:56   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hey I wasn't knocking it. I like your approach of getting to break play on other people's boats and getting them to rescue you afterwards. If I could work out such a scam arrangement I'd be doing the same. I can only assume you have some significant blackmail on Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
and saves petrol or diesel!
don't be daft, Willk doesn't pay for the fuel, have you seen the fuel consumption on "the Beast" - its only matched by Donegal Dan's cake consumption.

Quote:
They're* missing a lot of tricks P., I'm getting concerned, I mean, it's not that they aren't keen - they are, but they don't have the hunger, the Will to Win.
I think they are confused. Their leader has stopped showing them direction and accordingly they are unable to simply follow in his footsteps.
Old 30 September 2012, 16:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mextli View Post
No, i actually meant something like This

I used those on my old boat for passengers - I have a manual lifejacket and also an automatic one when im alone.

The non-inflatable ones turn you on your back and they won't ever malfunction, the only disadvantage is that they're extremly bulky.
Well - no! thats a 100N "lifejacket" which is not tested to turn an unconscious wearer face up. A 150N lifejacket under the old british standard used to be tested to turn someone wearing swimming trunks (no sailing gear) in a swimming pool (calm water) face up within a certain time. I gather the EN standard may have tweaked that slightly but I note people like crewsaver say the 100 doesn't turn the wearer, the 150N does but this may take some time...

Possibly OK for passengers as you'll be coming to get them and presumably you don't take passengers out if its stupidly rough.
Old 30 September 2012, 16:14   #30

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Quote:
Well - no! thats a 100N "lifejacket" which is not tested to turn an unconscious wearer face up. A 150N lifejacket under the old british standard used to be tested to turn someone wearing swimming trunks (no sailing gear) in a swimming pool (calm water) face up within a certain time. I gather the EN standard may have tweaked that slightly but I note people like crewsaver say the 100 doesn't turn the wearer, the 150N does but this may take some time...

Possibly OK for passengers as you'll be coming to get them and presumably you don't take passengers out if its stupidly rough.

True, i muddled up something right there.

My old boat was a 5-Person Boat and i carried 1 automatic 1 manual and 3 of those around with me.

The Automatic one for going alone the Manual one for Rescue/Safeboat stuff and the other three becuz i have to

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 18:26   #31

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Rain and such won't - but repeated heavy splashing can. Been there, got the wet tee-shirt...
Agreed

But It didnt need a good soaking to get my XM one to go off ... on a nice dry day too .. inside its sell by date aswell .. still... it adds that extra... 'je ne sais quoi' for the skipper,.. when already concerned with other on board safety matters
Old 30 September 2012, 19:52   #32

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I wear a manual inflate as I am usually driving a safety Boat and in the worst case may need to be able to jump in to help get somebody out from under a boat. One thing I hadn't realised when I set it off one day, was that you really need it to be fairly loose on your torso. When mine inflated, it nearly crushed my ribs!
Old 30 September 2012, 20:17   #33
SPR

The life jacket should be as tight you can get a fist in between the straps - I will post link later once back near a computer!
Old 30 September 2012, 22:37   #34

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Having used most types of jackets we just use the crew saver foam & air ones for the sib less hassle for what we want nowadays.

Bouyancy aid for normal use then for the extra lifejacket mode it can be inflated by mouth ,

Even just using the foam only mode classing it as a B/A it will turn us over from face down within a few moments especially if there's a bit of wave motion ,
It's not a bad idea getting used to your lifejacket it can be a bit daunting if its the first time you hang from the straps in deep water & even more daunting if there's no crutch strap fitted .

I try encourage my young lad to have a float about with his on in the water just about every time we have a run out ,
at least he is now aware of how importantly it is wearing it correctly and not just taking it for granted .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1523384725.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	72727  
Old 30 September 2012, 22:44   #35
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokraider View Post
I wear a manual inflate as I am usually driving a safety Boat and in the worst case may need to be able to jump in to help get somebody out from under a boat. One thing I hadn't realised when I set it off one day, was that you really need it to be fairly loose on your torso. When mine inflated, it nearly crushed my ribs!
Video as promise

46 secs in, shows you how to adjust life jacket

S
Old 01 October 2012, 09:02   #36

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
I was referring to the hammar type, it surprising how hard it is to get it air tight in a class room, never mind being on a boat.

the hammar the bottle I'd inside the jacket and to replace you work through a hole in the bladder.
Yeah that is what mine were and had no problems. Maybe I was just lucky!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 October 2012, 09:38   #37

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Not all hammar bottles are contained within the bladder Mine aren't. I have both hammar and ordinary, for want of a better description, on the boats. Despite working in some rough conditions the only ones we have had go off accidentally in the UK were
(1) Left by friend in the back of his rib when his team winched out the boat out and the water ran to the back...pillock!
(2) client who was told not to go paddling about wearing it and promptly did! !*^"!*
Out on the water we never had a prob til Paul Lemmer and i did a boat test for Rib Int off Holland in two ten metre TP Marine ribs. Force 10, gusting 11 my supplied by TP lifejacket exploded into life before we got out of the outer harbour arms. One helluva shock when they go off! Looking at the sea conditions and the amount of water being thrown about I decided to carry on with the jacket inflated and just hope I wasnt underneath the boat if it rolled. Good boats though!
Old 02 October 2012, 06:01   #38

Make: Tornado
Engine: Twin 50 Mariners
Quote:
Good little video - thanks, learnt something there. Like the style as well, good and practical, none of usual staid air hostess demo type stuff!
Old 18 October 2012, 12:15   #39

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Once one has gone off, manual or auto inflate what's the procedure for changing the gas bottle? I had an auto go off the other day. Got new bottles and its obvious that they screw in, BUT, screwed the bottle in until tight and it went off, (really cold on the hands ).

I've taken it apart and can see the pin that pops the bottle, and how the the toggle lifts to pop the bottle if you pull it

So is it just screw down until you feel pressure or am I missing something?
Old 18 October 2012, 14:03   #40
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
You need to make sure that the pin (that punctures the CO2 canister) has retracted properly. On the non-hammar auto jackets, the auto cartridge is sprung loaded and will push the pin up, and the manual firing toggle pulls a lever which also pushes the pin up.

If you've fired it manually (or if a new green plastic retaining clip thing came with the refill kit) then you can operate the handle and see the pin move in and out.

When you re-arm, take off the CO2 cartridge and the auto-fire unit. Check the pin has retracted, and that the o-ring seal is OK where the CO2 cartridge screws in. Replace the green plastic retaining clip on the manual lever (if required) - and then fit the auto-fire unit. BEFORE you fit the CO2 cartridge , double check that the pin is still down (I've had a couple of dodgy auto units) - and then fit the CO2 cartridge. The CO2 cartridge should be tight (by hand) against the o-ring seal.

Then get into a proper fight repacking the b*****d into it's outer cover......