Old 20 August 2001, 23:39   #1

Town: sidney b.c.
Make: Hurricand 630
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 225
WHAT KIND OF BOAT ?

I CURRENTLY OWN A ZODIAC PRO 550 OPEN. THE BOAT IS PROVING TO BE NOT AS DURABLE AS I WOULD LIKE. THE BOAT IS LESS THEN 3 YRS OLD AND I HAVE REBUILT 2 AREAS ALREADY. I AM LOOKING FOR A BOAT THAT IS VERY TOUGH AND WILLING TO TAKE A LOT OF ABUSE. THERE IS A DEALER IN VICTORIA BC WHO IS SELLING RIBCRAFT, TORNADO, AND VIKING. THESE BOATS ARE NEW TO CANADA BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR QUITE SOME TIME IN ENGLAND. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE BOATS? I WOULD LIKE A BOAT THAT WILL PERFORM WELL IN ROUGH WATER WITHOUT THE WORRY OF THE FIBERGLASS FAILING. CHRIS
Old 21 August 2001, 16:04   #2

Town: Vestal, NY, USA
Under what type of conditions are you using the boat on? And what areas of the boat gave you trouble? I only ask because I am looking into a 1989 Zodiac Pro 470, and now wonder how much they can hold up to based on your information.

Thank you.
Old 21 August 2001, 16:21   #3

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi the three boats you listed fall into two catagories, Hyperlon and polyurethane. The Ribcraft is Hyperlon, and the Tornado and Viking being Polyurethane and almost the same boat, from the same company the Tornado being the highet spec boat.

Pro and Cons, Well both are tough but Hyperlon is easier to repair and has been around for a long while while Polyurethane is more dificult to repair (specilist job for anything other than minor jobs) and has had problems in the past, which they say they have sorted now. Polyurethane is more adrastion resistant than Hyperlon but I belive has a shorter life span.

To some extent repair facilities may decide it. If its DIY I would go for Hyperlon. If you are going to give the boat a lot of stick for a short while (a few years) and specilist repair is available Polyurethane may be for you.

Anyway that a bit of info, by the way I looked at all three and bought Ribcraft. But all three are good boats.

Regards Gary
Old 21 August 2001, 22:30   #4

steve, the areas that failed are the frt anchor well and the rear battery compartment. the reason for the failure was because of the fiberglass being laid over unsanded glossy plywood. i am quite hard on the boat however i do not think that is reason enough for this failure. i am also worried about the flip up console starting to crack as it is held on with fairly small hinges and clasps. thanks for your reply Gary. i am looking at keeping this next boat forever( 2 years according to my with with my past track record). i think i am leaning to the ribcraft 585, what size do you have and what sort of power? thanks chris
Old 22 August 2001, 12:14   #5

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Chris

My Ribcraft is a 4.8 with a Mariner 50 4 stroke.I have seen and been in the 5.85 and its a very good boat, was outside by budget at the time.

I have only had mine for a few months but are very happy with it. Wish a little I had gone for a 60 Hp and not the 50hp but thats not really a problem with the boat but the way i use it.(quite heavy loads and towing toys).
With regard to engines I now love the 4 stroke, can be out for 6 hours fast tubing most of the time and only use 7-8 gallons, my older two stroke 55hp would have used well over 15!!.
I did however talk to lots of people who hammer there Ribcrafts, dive schools, commercial charter, fun/pleasure trip groups the sort of people who use the boat 7 days a week, 8 hours a day and most were happy with things.
I also find Ribcraft quite helpful but they are over here so dont know if you would deal direct. The only gripe was that the boat was quite late, 2 months late, but it was worrth waiting for.

Gary

Old 22 August 2001, 17:55   #6

Town: N.C.
Chris,
Have you looked into a aluminum hulled Rib, or considered Polaris, Titan, or Zodiac Hurricane, all I believe are made in Canada? Neil
Old 26 August 2001, 11:40   #7

Town: Karlstad
Make: Viking
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mercury 90
Send a message via ICQ to sasa
I have a Viking 540, and while I am very happy with the boat in general (strength, seaworthiness, etc.), the same cannot be said for the finish and some cheap construction solutions.

The bailer trunk on the transom was leaking and you can imagine my surprise when I went to check the boat the first morning after the launch and found it full with water! The guys at Barnet Marine were not directly unhelpful, but they were not helpful either. A simple "Sorry, it's our fault, how can we help you?" would do much to help me feel better.

Also, the gel coat was damaged around the tachometer, result of bad drill job.

This year, two of the backrest cushions fell off. I first thought we misused them seriously, but then I gently opened one of them. The supporting board (which holds the screws) is made of untreated particleboard Now, after two seasons and countless rains, it has started to disintegrate. I'll have to change it on all seat and backrest cushions. Why didn't they use marine-grade plywood in the first place?

So, what I would suggest is to thoroughly inspect your boat before you receive it and pay for it (should you decide to buy one). I didn't have that opportunity as I had it shipped to Sweden and sending it back would be much more expensive than fixing it myself. But I am going to think twice before I order another boat from Barnet Marine.

Regards,
Sasa
Old 27 August 2001, 02:38   #8

thanks for the replies, looks like it is fairly common for the manufacturers to do shortcuts some where. A few hours work and my boat will be good as new.

« RIB Ride | Top | Humber 6.4 »