RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
A Mariner 75 fourstroke on a boat which I wouldn't even trust for pootling round the harbour in.
Old 22 December 2011, 21:40   #3

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
I have the same boat and as Lencraft are out of business I am not sure how big an engine my boat will take (the pic is from their website which say max 75hp but is that a 4 or 2 stroke as the weight will surely be the most important factor). I have a 55hp 2 stroke engine currently on it but am thinking about changing it in the next wee while and I was dissapoiinted in how fast the 55 went and it is not running as well as I would like.

So I suppose the real question is - how hevy is that engine and what are the options for a used engine like it? Would a DF40 suzuki be as crap as I would imagine on a 4.m rib? I would have thought a nice 60hp yam would be ideal - any other suggetions?
Old 22 December 2011, 21:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
A Mariner 75 fourstroke on a boat which I wouldn't even trust for pootling round the harbour in.
Old 22 December 2011, 21:46   #5
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
I have the same boat and as Lencraft are out of business I am not sure how big an engine my boat will take (the pic is from their website which say max 75hp but is that a 4 or 2 stroke as the weight will surely be the most important factor). I have a 55hp 2 stroke engine currently on it but am thinking about changing it in the next wee while and I was dissapoiinted in how fast the 55 went and it is not running as well as I would like.

So I suppose the real question is - how hevy is that engine and what are the options for a used engine like it? Would a DF40 suzuki be as crap as I would imagine on a 4.m rib? I would have thought a nice 60hp yam would be ideal - any other suggetions?
The engine in that picture weighs 175kg dry.

I used to have a 4.2m Zodiac Pro with a Suzuki DF50 on the back and that was very spritely 32knts top end. On a 4.8 40 would probably be fine but it won't set your hair on fire. A 60 would be excellent, Spartacus on here has a Ribcraft 4.8 with a Tohatsu 60 that he has fettled for a little more go I believe.

Depending on your local dealerships, at 175kg or under you have all the etecs, optimax, yamaha 2 and fourstroke. Pretty much everything really, as 175kg is only 20kg less than an etec of 200. Heavy old beast.

Might be best to check the plate on the transom of the hull. Failing that put on a 60, light tends to be best, and make sure the insurance company are happy.

All the best.
Old 22 December 2011, 21:47   #6
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
Lencraft don't have the best reputation on here as a quick search will reveal
Old 23 December 2011, 08:21   #7

Quote:
funny they are about the only boat maker that I can't find much bad stuff about on here! Whereas all otheres get a roasting every now and then! Liley just avolume issue in that there are so few Lencrafts around that they by percntages will have less problems show up on here!

Anyway I have it and really like it, it suited my budget and is all the boat I currently need. Just need a reliable engine for it and I ma sorted.

So if the 75hp 4 stroke Mariner in the brochure shot is 175kg does that mean any engine under that weight should be OK, i.e would an 80HP 2 stroke be OK if say 150kg?
Old 23 December 2011, 09:12   #8

4 stroke mariners normally have white stickers on the side of the cowl saying 4 stroke-can't see that on that engine. i assume that is a 2 stroke motor which would make more sense due to the weight on that transom?

cheers
Old 23 December 2011, 09:55   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I have the same boat and as Lencraft are out of business I am not sure how big an engine my boat will take (the pic is from their website which say max 75hp but is that a 4 or 2 stroke as the weight will surely be the most important factor).
There should be a plate on the boat saying its maximum rated power and/or weight. Both can be important. If no weight stated by the manufacturer then they didn't consider it critical, but obviously use common sense. Its unlikely the transom will just fall off by putting a stupidly heavy engine on it - but it may well screw up the balance and handling.

Quote:
Quote:
So you've based your rather scathing assessment on some internet gossip or have you actually ever seen, inspected, driven a Lencraft? Do you apply the same approach to all brands which have even had an internet complaint about them? (I can point you to cracked transoms and tube delaminations at two BIG manufacturers who are generally well regarded (one close to the top end, one at the budget end) - neither have gained amazing reputations for outstanding after sales support - but i'd happily take either of their 4.8m models out in real seas. I've no personal experience of Lencraft, but whilst they may well not be the craft I would aspire to own I don't think I have seen enough to convince me to walk past a good deal because of the badge, or is this just the usual Ribnet "if its not my brand its crap" nonsense
Old 23 December 2011, 09:58   #10

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
If you look very closely at the front top of the engine cover, between the A-frame, there is a small dark area - this to me looks suspiciously like the access cover to an oil reservoir which would indicate it is a 2 stroker,

Quote:
Anyway I have it and really like it, it suited my budget and is all the boat I currently need. Just need a reliable engine for it and I ma sorted.
And thats all that matters
Old 23 December 2011, 10:19   #11

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
That's not a four stroke. It's a 2 stroke mixer with oil cap ^^
Old 23 December 2011, 10:30   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
have you actually ever seen, inspected, driven a Lencraft?
I have. When the company was still in business I felt that it would be unwise to speak freely about them. All my experiences with Lencraft were before I knew anything about Redbay (I'd only seen one very old Redbay).

Before I continue, let me say that if Tomkat has a basic baby Lennie that looks to be in OK shape then good for him. They handle well enough and at 4.5m he's not headed to St. Kilda in it (I hope). So, he should be fine.

Moving on to the bigger picture, the general feeling in the rib using community here was that Lennies were cheap and sometimes cheerful - dive boat territory. The hulls were lightly laid up and gave a good turn of speed. Finish was generally very poor and the few I've looked at showed their age very quickly. AFAIK, they made tubes for a while and having walked the Lennie workshop, I'd be worried about that.

My main issue with Lencraft came to light when I drove 250 miles clutching a wad of cash to eyeball two used boats in their yard. It became immediately clear that the guys where unburdened by either a basic concept of the truth or any appreciable amount of scruples. I was shocked. I thanked them for their time and returned the 250 miles home. Make tubes? I wouldn't have trusted them to make balloon animals at a kids party!

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of 2012. Sometime during it, Gotchi turns 18. I look forward to working closely with him...

Maybe Gotchdad will buy him a Trade Membership
Quote:
I look forward to working with the new ownership very much and I'm keen to see what they are planning not only in terms of a demo boat but also plans for the future of the brand.
Old 23 December 2011, 11:07   #13
RIBnet admin team

TomKat - not sure what your budget is, or if you were wanting something with warranty etc - but you in the interests of keeping it within the incestuous world of ribnet* this might appeal:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/mercury...ard-45407.html

* For the avoidance of doubt this is not an endorsement of any ribnet trade member. Trade members are not vetted and you need to do your own dilligence to ensure your transaction is ok!
Old 23 December 2011, 11:56   #14

Quote:
There should be a plate on the boat saying its maximum rated power and/or weight.
There were twin 30hp engines on it before I bought it so the name plate was removed to accomodate them! 2x30's would be as heavy as one 75 I presume?

From the comments it looks like a 75 2 stroke so what max weight should I consider? Be so much easier if they were still in business, I could call them!
Old 23 December 2011, 11:59   #15

Quote:
TomKat - not sure what your budget is, or if you were wanting something with warranty etc - but you in the interests of keeping it within the incestuous world of ribnet* this might appeal:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/mercury...ard-45407.html

* For the avoidance of doubt this is not an endorsement of any ribnet trade member. Trade members are not vetted and you need to do your own dilligence to ensure your transaction is ok!
Its definately an option (dropped Peter a pm yeaterday), I have not given the current outboard the last rites just yet but once I do I want to know what will work so as to not limit myslef too much and dont want to buy an engine that is too powerful or heavy to suit the boat.
Old 23 December 2011, 12:07   #16

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Sometime during it, Gotchi turns 18.
That's scary if you've got your numbers right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I look forward to working closely with him...
Really? With some trepidation no doubt .
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2011, 15:40   #17

Town: Aylesbury
Boat name: Cloud 9
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 50hp E-tec
MMSI: 235091208
Don't go bigger than a 60hp 2 stroke.

I have a humber 4.8 assault with a 85hp 2 stroke (I Know, I got excited about speed and not balance) It's great fun and the transom is upto it but, It's far too big you really need to be on the ball with it.
Old 23 December 2011, 16:32   #18

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
That a 3 cylinder 2 stroke in the original picture. It's the same engine as the link posted later in the thread of my engine for sale (although a bit newer). As advised in the PM reply I'd suggest you go for a 60hp engine as an ideal. 70hp would not be much different. 75hp and you do need to check your ratings. A 75hp 2 stroke will weigh about 135kgs. Two 30hp 2 strokes would be about 80kgs each.

According to the Lencraft website the latest 4.8 was rated to 75hp. I'd assume that be 4 stroke if it was a >2006 production but cannot be sure.

Hope that helps

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 23 December 2011, 16:32   #19
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Quote:
So you've based your rather scathing assessment on some internet gossip
Problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
That's scary if you've got your numbers right.
He does
Quote:
From the comments it looks like a 75 2 stroke so what max weight should I consider? Be so much easier if they were still in business, I could call them!
If it's a two stroke then it would weigh 139kgs dry. Lighter than a current etec. In current money its about middleweight. You'll struggle to find a fourstroke under that weight except the Yamaha F70 at 120kgs however that is big money for good reason. A good lightweight carbed 60 would appear to be your best option.
Quote:
incestuous world of ribnet
Bit rich coming from you!?
Old 23 December 2011, 17:39   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Problem?
You've not posted much recently, just wanted to ensure that you hadn't morphed into someone who posted from a position of knowledge in the meantime

Quote:
Bit rich coming from you!?