Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17 April 2005, 17:02   #11
Richard B's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,015
Originally Posted by jwalker
Forcasters can't do it. Too much reliance on computer models, I don't doubt.
Yes and no, I reckon. They seem to get a lot of data from The European Centre for Medium range Weather Forecasting, ECMWF who use computer modelling, and then put their own spin on it. It's at this point that it all seems to go wrong! I've found that looking directly at ECMWF often gives a fairly accurate prediction if you use your own interpretation of the charts that they produce.

Their forecast for this weekend was for very light winds.

And guys, I really need to tell you off now, as Mike Garside suggested this site about two years ago and I've been singing its praises ever since.

Here's their chart for Saturday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECMWF_small.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	11399  

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2005, 01:58   #12
Country: UK - England
Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 205
Here are some of the sites I watch & use to make my decision on whether to go diving or not.

During the week leading up to the weekend.

European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts

Then as we get closer to the weekend.

Met office Europe surface pressure charts

Then the day before.

Met Office Inshore forecast
Along with all the south-coast web cames we have listed on our own club site
SSAC webcams
As well as the inshore forecast on the TVís Telletext.

Over the last couple of weeks everything was going well & from all the data I had seen leading up to the weekends, then I think my big mistake was to look at the inshore forecasts the day before.
Oh well this week Iíll just keep looking up to Friday & make my own decision from that & only look at the web cams on Saturday.

Swanley Sub-Aqua Club
Jackwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2005, 15:09   #13
Country: UK - England
Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 794
Last August my self and two other ribs wanted to picnic at Lulworth cove the forcast said winds 2/3 dry but with cloud as we crossed Christchurch bay from Lymington we had 3/4 ft swell that was starting to break and the winds had realy got up. Then we heard the costguatd Weather forcast on channel 23 saying Wind force 3 sea state slight it got so bad we abandoned the trip and went into Poole, ? i guess you take a chance with the weather when ever you go out.

Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.