Old 18 September 2010, 22:15   #1

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
What is hypalon gule supposed to look like

I am doing my first work with a 2 part hypalon glue called shore adhesive. It is a new can and is supposed to have a shelf life of 18 months. When I opened the can the base glue (part A) looked like snot. Is this normal? And what is the working life of each batch? Do I need to mix a new batch for each coat (15 - 20 minutes between coats)? Or if my first batch is still snotty after 20 minutes can a cut it with a little tolune before applying the second coat?

I found a ton of info on old threads and the suppliers website about prep and application, but nothing on working life or what this goo is supposed to look like.
Old 18 September 2010, 22:30   #2

Town: telford
Make: shakespeare
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 optimax
pot life is 4 or 5 hours after mixing and yes you can thin it with toluene
Old 20 September 2010, 02:26   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflee2k View Post
When I opened the can the base glue (part A) looked like snot. Is this normal?

Yes, unforunately, it is normal. It seems like it will be way too thick to do anything with, but it actually works well. I would avoid thinning it out until you've done a few repairs and get a feel for how the bond thickness is supposed to be.

Quote:
And what is the working life of each batch? Do I need to mix a new batch for each coat (15 - 20 minutes between coats)? Or if my first batch is still snotty after 20 minutes can a cut it with a little tolune before applying the second coat?
Pot life should be at least an hour, probably more. It helps to seal up your mixing container with foil to prevent too much solvent from evaporating. Remember that the solvent has to get out of the stuff to complete the bond, so don't go overboard if you do thin it out.

jky
Old 21 September 2010, 01:40   #4

Town: Houston, TX
Boat name: Lady Ashley
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 70 Merc 2S
Thanks. That is just what I was looking for. I have already reglued several places where I could get a fingernail under the lip of a seam. It went on pretty easily without thinning it. I was working in very small batches (1 tablespoon), and just had to moisten it with a little tolulene on the paint brush a few times.
It does seam to start to set up really quickly. On something as large as the rub strake, I think I am going to have to do it in small sections. On some of the longer seams I had to wipe down with a paper towel and thinner to keep it tacky.
Old 21 September 2010, 15:40   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Supposedly, another option if the glue dries off to a non-tacky condition is to use a heat gun on it, then slap the parts together. Never tried it.

I recently reglued the sealing strip between the hull and tube (strip of hypalon that runs from the bottom of the tube onto the bottom of the hull), a section maybe 3 feet long by about 6" wide. I used a polyethylene cup (from a cut fruit single serving, I think), and covered it with aluminum foil with a small opening for the brush. I was able to get three coats of glue on both surfaces without the stuff drying out too much. May have been different weather though: about 70 degrees, slight breeze, indirect sun, and under the boat.

jky