Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	219  
Old 11 November 2001, 07:30   #22

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
'Big Blue' certainly looks up for the job. Not sure about running her in the UK with petrol prices the way they are .....

Makes my Lightweight look economical me thinks !
Old 11 November 2001, 14:11   #23

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Ahhh America.........

land where petrol is of course free! (or as cheaps as makes no odds!) If I were in the US I think my Rib would have a 500hp petrol inboard and I'd use a Ford 150 to pull it. Meanwhile back in the UK..........
Old 14 November 2001, 08:50   #24

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Big Blue looks up for the job, apart from .................

It dosn't have a tow bar!!!!

Just a small point!!
Old 14 November 2001, 10:30   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Alan W.
How about the Honda CR-V ?
Just because it has an excellent writeup in a certain RIB magazine, is that any reason to reject it out of hand?.......oh, all right then
Old 14 November 2001, 21:00   #26

Call me cynical...............

but since HMS was lent a Honda CRV by Honda UK for a while, his opinion dare I say might be a bit jaundaced?!

Anyway. Hairdressers 4x4, no low range, not the thing I'm afraid.

Test driving a Trooper on Sat!

Alan.
Old 16 November 2001, 18:32   #27

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
I Have until a few months ago used company cars ( or rather 4X4s) to tow and launch loads of club ribs + my own over the last 6-7 years. We've also towed to France every year with a variety of ~7-800kg ribs full of bikes & beach stuff. Here are the results:
Nissan Terrano LWB diesel, older type with no intercooler. You can get these real cheap now. The pulling power was brilliant, very good low gear etc., no problem on slipways. MPG not too bad, around 28mpg on runs, dropping to 24 loaded up on the France run. A bit slow though. Did 50k miles with only back brake rust problems from salt water.
Terrano LWB diesel intercooler. Still in production but you can get older ones reasonable. Much faster & more pull than the older one, otherwise the same. MPG same empty but a bit worse the hols run, about 23mpg. Only minor trom & brake problems after 60K miles. Pulled a 3.2 tonne 24ft 40hp powerboat up from Chesterfield to Stranraer at 50-60 all the way.
Ford Explorer. BIG IS BEAUTIFUL. This was a 4 litre petrol auto with auto 4X4, sheer bliss pulling anything anywhere (providing the company was paying for the petrol!). About 22mpg empty, 18 on the hols run and 15-ish in town. But you can get them real cheap now. Some serious wiring and brake problems during 60k miles, otherwise ok. I would buy one again if I did less miles. BUT dont try to park it in Tescos.
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 petrol auto. Nothing like the Fords pulling power but the very low low gear would pull anything up the slipway. Perfectly adequate for a rib of your size. About 26mpg empty, 23 on the France run. Very car-like and goes like stink. A nice motor (Im from Essex as well!) at a lot less than most of the others. Had a quick go in the diesel and I think its probably much better for towing, albeit slower.
And now the non-company one:
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 petrol manual softtop. Nippy enough empty, pulls Nicks searider no problem, but a bit slow with 5.5/115HP on the back. Still NO problem on slipways with really low low gear. It did a great job with the 4.9 for the RB4 - 2000 miles in less than 2 weeks. 38mpg empty, 29 during the RB4 with 600Kg on the back. Bliss to park and u-turn. Havent dared do the France run yet!
And something different:
The boss's (she who should be obeyed) Kia Sedona 2.9 diesel manual exec people carrier. 80mph uphill with 1 ton plus on the back, 38mpg empty, 32+ on the France run with seven on board. OK most of the time on the slipway due to very heavy front engine and front wheel drive. Its even got leather seats!
Old 19 November 2001, 11:18   #28

Thanks one and all...............

for all advice, comments and opinions.

I can now exclusively reveal to you, fellow rib.net posters that I've gone for a Turbo D Trooper. 3 litres, 284nm of torque at 2000 rpm and 160hp. Bit of overkill for a 1500kg boat and trailer but when my lottery numbers come up and I buy that 8.5m Scorpion I;ll be sorted for a towcar!

Cheers, Alan
Old 19 November 2001, 12:30   #29

Town: Jacksonville, Florida
Make: Nautica / former Police boat
Length: 5.89
Engine: 115 Yamaha 4-stroke
Well, I can make it from the Georgia border to Islamorada(Keys)
in 6 hours, doing 70 mph. Even though its pretty flat terrain, pulling a RIB does provide wind resistance. All this with a 88 landcruiser and 12 miles to the gallon latter. Oh, my landcruiser
has 245,000 miles on the odometer. Toyota is buit to last, no Jap crap here..........................
Didier
Old 22 November 2001, 08:23   #30

For the ultimate in tow vehicles............

Press release from my former employers.......

(The last sentance regarding the steering wheel is highly amusing)

London, 21 November, 2001 - Imposing, avant-garde, distinguished by striking features, yet still clearly a Range Rover - these are the ingredients that best describe the latest interpretation of the world's pre-eminent luxury off-road 4x4.

Led by Land Rover design director Geoff Upex, the design team behind the third generation Range Rover has created a vehicle that blends key styling cues with eye-catching modern 'jewellery'.

Many of the traditional Range Rover elements have remained with the vehicle since the original was launched more than 30 years ago and today form an integral part of the Range Rover's design DNA. In essence, a Range Rover would not be a Range Rover if it did not have the practical horizontally split tailgate, the bold upright front with its simple grille, the command driving position, the 'floating' roof, the clamshell bonnet with its castellations and the almost rectangular interplay between the horizontal and vertical body lines.

The new Range Rover embodies all those iconic features, yet moves the design firmly into the 21st Century with uniquely styled head and tail lamps and distinctive - and functional - power vents. These metal-look vents on the trailing edges of both front wings help increase the amount of air fed to the engine, while the eye-catching headlamps are both stylish and efficient.

In order to make the new Range Rover more spacious inside, the new vehicle is bigger externally than its predecessor - it has grown longer and taller and has greater ground clearance than before. The imposing new Range Rover is some 4950 mm (195 in) from bumper to bumper and sits on a wheelbase of 2880 mm (113.4 in), increases of 237 mm (9.3 in) and 135 mm (5.3 in) respectively. At 1863 mm (73.3 in) tall, it has grown 45 mm (1.8 in) over the previous car.

Ground clearance, one of the most significant dimensions for an off-road vehicle, has risen by 67 mm (2.6 in) to 281 mm (11.1 in) when the Range Rover is on its highest suspension setting.

The efficient packaging of the new Range Rover provides greater interior space even though its overall dimensions are narrower. The body itself is 67 mm (2.6 in) wider at 1956 mm (77.0 in) but the overall width - including the door mirrors - is slightly reduced by 37 mm (1.5 in) to 2191 mm (86.3 in). This eases its ability to thread through gaps both in traffic and off the beaten track without compromising passenger comfort.

Larger external dimensions translate directly into more interior space. There is more head, leg and shoulder room for those in the front and an improvement in knee room for those in the rear. In addition, the luggage area is longer and taller than before, with the overall volume rising from 513 litres to 535 litres.

Interior
If the exterior of the new Range Rover can be seen as an evolution of the traditional shape, the sumptuous interior represents a real revolution.

Typical Range Rover customers know and understand luxury and the interior of the new vehicle reflects the understated quality they expect. While developing the interior of the car, the design team took styling and texture cues from products as diverse as audio equipment, ocean-going yachts, first-class airline seating, fine furniture and jewellery, combining these concepts with the classic 'wood and leather' experience expected from a Range Rover.

At the same time, the need for a simple cockpit layout was not forgotten. A minimalist approach to the controls is vital in an off-road vehicle where safety could be compromised if the wrong control was to be used inadvertently at a crucial point.

The result is an interior that brings new levels of luxury to the Range Rover yet remains classically elegant and supremely functional.

Another theme central to the new Range Rover is one of choice. Although there is only one body style and an option between just two engines (3.0-litre six-cylinder turbodiesel and 4.4-litre petrol V8), a huge choice of interior styles and shades and exterior colours make it possible for customers to specify a bespoke Range Rover.

To complement the 12 exterior colours, there are three interior trim finishes, featuring cherry wood, burr walnut and a more sporting alloy metal look called foundry. There are also three seat fabrics - cloth, traditional Blenheim leather or Oxford leather.

A discreet metal finish is used for the detailing around the instruments and controls.

A special emphasis on comfort provides the new Range Rover with the most luxurious seating yet. As well as foldable armrests front and rear, optionally available 'Contour' front seats have an electrically adjustable split backrest to allow the occupants to achieve the perfect seating position. Electric control extends to the head rests and there is also a memory facility.

Split rear seats fold on a 60/40 basis and 'jack-knife' forward to increase luggage space. The cargo area has luggage loops to allow loads to be securely fastened and there is a ski hatch and bag in the middle of the rear seats.

Heating elements can be specified for all the seats as well as the steering wheel, the warmed leather rim being especially welcome in winter.
Old 22 November 2001, 13:45   #31
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
jewellery, design DNA, 'floating' roof, castellations (?), interplay between the horizontal and vertical, metal-look vents . . .

Looks to me like your former colleagues have been at the cooking sherry!

In order to make the new Range Rover more spacious inside, the new vehicle is bigger externally than its predecessor

No shit! They don't need to be rocket scientists at Lode Lane to make that connection.

Ground clearance, one of the most significant dimensions for an off-road vehicle

Not totally relevant to the new Range Rover though . . .

Oh dear

John
Old 22 November 2001, 13:50   #32

Actually............

the new Rangie will be better offroad than the old one. (And the old one was pretty capable.) Of course less than 1% of the owners will ever go offroad but it has the capability thats the thing. Or in marketing speak. "Brand DNA"!
Old 22 November 2001, 13:58   #33
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Actually I'm not doubting its capability. I just can't imagine many people taking a £50k (ish?) car anywhere it might get muddy, let alone pick up a dent or a scrape!

John
Old 22 November 2001, 14:03   #34

£50k? oh no..........

Nearer £75k me old mucker!

No I can't imagine taking a £75k car offroad either. I used to get nervous about damaging my £1500 series 3 swb!! Didn't stop me from bending sills, bumpers, wings etc but I didn't feel good about it.

The new RR does have a nice interior though with wood trim nicked from a 1980's G plan sideboard.

Al.
Old 24 November 2001, 17:52   #35

Town: Falmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp yam
IMPRESIVEBIT OF KIT

Mi mate up in Birmingham is working on the development of the new Range Rover. He says it’s unbelievable. Every thing, and I mean everything is electric and adjustable, even the wheel is heated, its bigger than the old one, in every respect and has every gadget and gismo available stashed away onboard. Over 100k for some models. That’s a fleet of 10 x 5m family RIBs, 3 x 7.5m diesel inboard RIBs or 400,000 litres of diesel!

Silly money! Maybe this time next year when I’m a millionaire!!!

PIC ATTACHED

http://www.rangerover.landrover.com/
Attached Images

Old 24 November 2001, 18:07   #36

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
in my limited experience, 2wd cars can do 95% of the job. for the 5% they cannot (eg soft sand, slippy slipways) a low-cost alternative to buying jeeps is a rope and wheelstops.
Old 24 November 2001, 18:18   #37

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Whilst on the subject of Land/Range Rovers, I take my dog for a walk in the park next to the factory.

......okay, I know it's not very interesting but it's all I have to add to the debate!

Keith Hart
Old 25 November 2001, 13:39   #38
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Actually Keith, I am sooooo..... interested in this topic now that I would like to see a picture of your dog. Can you oblige?
Brian
Old 26 November 2001, 07:59   #39

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Brian

Just for you here is a picture of my dog 'Scarlett', named after Scarlet O'Hara in 'Gone With The Wind'.

I take her out on the boat with me as an auxilliary power source. If the engine fails I can tie a rope to her collar and throw her in. She always swims towards the shore and I am sure if I shouted enough encouragement at her she could tow us in!

Keith (Please don't tell the SSPCA) Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	229