Old 29 July 2004, 17:49   #41
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
So are you sticking with the old tubes then?
Nick
Only until the winter. Then I will get some shiney new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Tue.....you do know that Mr Muscle oven clean is highly corrosive dont you !!! i'd have been afraid of it melting the glue on the seams !!
I was recommended to use it by another marine dealer who regulary use it on all their RIB.
Old 29 July 2004, 18:09   #42
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
before and after

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	7253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image(01).jpg
Views:	359
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	7254  
Old 29 July 2004, 23:02   #43

Town: Diss
Boat name: None
Length: no boat
303 update

Thanks to all who have requested sample packs to try They will be with you all shortly.
I thought I had better put my money where my mouth is so I have been tackling a friend's avon dingy that was light grey. Its spent its life as a ferry between the car boot and the small yacht he owns in Ipswich and gets chucked in the shed when not in use. Covered in white paint and other marks its looks a bit of a sorry state. I have cleaned part of the bow so will put some photos up when I get a moment.
For those who receive the samples here are some instructions
If the tubes are really dirty as with Tue's use the Cleaner diluted to about 10:1 in a bucket with some hot water or spot use neat. Use a scrubbing brush, mild nylon scourer or scotchbrite pad to get into the grain. Wash off with cold water and use a damp towel to wipe away the grime and old oxidation. When happy spray a little 303 protectant on and wipe in with a clean soft cloth then stand back and admire the luster and feel of the new section of rib tube! Then order some full bottles (please)
I am not proposing that 303 is the only thing that owners can clean RIB tubes with. There are lots of chemicals that will take the dirt off but they can also remove the plasticizers etc within the Hypalon which keep it flexible and strong so while they will be clean they will look a bit "flat" like the yellow ones in the last post. You shouldn't use any caustic solutions or petroleum distillates here are some "don'ts from major vinyl fabric manaufacturers in the US
General Cleaning
Never use household cleaners, powdered or other abrasives, steelwool or industrial cleaners, dry cleaning fluids, solvents (petroleum distillates), bleach or detergents. Use a medium-soft brush, warm soapy water (such as Ivory soap), rinse with cool water then dry
Obviously abrasives should never be used on vinyl. Petroleum distillates are a universal "no-no" for both vinyl and rubber. Waxes should never be used on vinyl because (a) Most waxes contain petroleum distillates, (b) Wax is a build-up product, holding in the heat absorbed from the sun and accelerating heat damage.

Virtually all vinyl manufacturers agree that no type of oil should be used on vinyl. Silicone oil vinyl treatments should not be used for several reasons; 1) Silicone oil formulations typically attack the vinyl topcoat, 2) Silicone oil formulations usually contain no effective UV screening ingredients, 3) Silicone oil formulations are build-up products which accelerate heat damage, 4) Silicone oil formulations are greasy and oily, attract dust, and soil more quickly. READ THE LABEL! Product directions suggesting more than one coat for better cosmetic enhancement are build-up products and are recommended against by vinyl manufacturers.

303 for Vinyl
303 Aerospace Protectant is a beautifying liquid sunscreen, the routine use of which keeps vinyl looking like new while dramatically extending its useful life. 303 contains no petrochemicals, silicone oils or petroleum distillates. 303 is not a build-up product. 303 treated surfaces dissipate heat normally.

303 is not oily or greasy and does not attract dust. In fact, 303 treated vinyl repels dust, dirt and stains, stays cleaner longer and is much easier to clean when finally soiled. Since 303 contains a tested-safe-for-vinyl cleaner and is a cleaner and protector combined, pre-cleaners and pre-cleaning usually are not required. ( I agree here but its a bit expensive as a cleaner on its own so if your RIB is dirty then use the cleaner first. if its new or 'as new" then just go straight for the 303 Aerospace protectant. I have a few 1 gall sizes left if any of you want share it out between a group)

303 has been tested and is recommended by major vinyl and vinyl accessory manufacturers. As the leader in UV screening technology since 1980, 303 is the most powerful UV screening treatment available for vinyl, leather, rubber, gelcoat fiberglass, and most plastics. Regular use of 303 can reduce UV caused slow-fade up to 100%

If you apply the 303 Protectant this will replace these elements and give the tubes a new lustre and soft feel just like new. Plus The Important thing really isn't how you clean them, though this seems to be the major issue on the forum. The IMPORTANT bit is having got them clean you protect them from further soiling and UV damage with the 303 A.P.
Henshaws clean their tubes with their own thinners but this isn't the most friendly stuff to work with. the advantage of the 303 Cleaner is it is effective (with patience, please don't expect to just wipe it on and see it fiz and the dirt fall off!) and environmentally safe so you can use it at your mooring without endangering the local wildlife and it won't make your fingers drop off! With a little effort and patience you will quickly restore your RIB tubes or inflatable to an "as new" condition and be able to maintain it like that.
Apologies
However I'm rapidly running out of stock at present following the article in Rib International magazine and Microlight Flying (they use it to protect the dacron wings) and despite having just placed a double order things are moving slowly so it will be 1-2 weeks until I get some more in . I have some prediluted cleaner which I can send out at a reduced price for the less dirty ones but only some 8oz 303 protectant which will be adequate for a small RIB.
So for those who want to place orders there may be a short delay of 1-2 weeks. I do apologise but things have gone better than expected on this forum! Thanks to you guys
So that I don't miss any of your sample orders could I also ask you to mail me directly at info@thepolishingcompany.com as I don't always have time to do all the e-mails and the forums.

Thanks Mike
The Polishing Company.
Old 30 July 2004, 18:36   #44

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I received your sample the other day "polisher".
Having returned from a trip out today, I thought I would give it a go. The RIB is fairly new, and has been well cared for by my self, so the only dirt that was on it was a bit of mud, sand, squashed insects etc.
I diluted it 1:30 with cold water, applied to the tubes, left for a few minutes, then scrubbed some more on with a still brush. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Most of the stains stayed on. Maybe I wasn't using it right, but I have to say, Fairy liquid did a better job...

I might me tempted to buy a larger bottle and try it a bit more concentrated, if you could PM me the cost, and assure me it will in fact work next time!
Old 02 August 2004, 11:30   #45

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Tim

I've used the 303 cleaner and the protectant two weekends on the trot now and have had some stunning results, my first attempt was a diluted solution and this was not very impressive either, so i just went for neat cleaning solution and this did the trick, if your tubes are new then i'd suggest cleaning them by sparying on neat 303 cleaner and rubbing the dirt and mud away with a clean dry cloth, it shouldn't be too hard as they are new tubes, then treat the tubes with a coat of 303 protectant and again wipe the excess away with a clean dry cloth, the protectant will stop dirt and mud adhearing to the tubes in future, and hopefully your'll just be able to clean the loose dirt away with clean water.
If you have any nasty areas where the dirty become stubborn then spot clean the area with a nylon cleaning pad and neat 303 cleaner......this has worked for me and a few others who have tried it. Once i've achieved the results i want with my Rib and treated the entire collar with 303 protectant i'll use the cleaner and 303 protectant as routine maintenance maybe every month or so when i decide to give the boat a good clean over.

This stuff also works great on fibre glass as i polished up my consoul a treat at the weekend, it even removed some nasty salt water staining too.
Old 02 August 2004, 21:36   #46

303 Cleaner concentrate

Hi
With regard to the concentrations of 303 Cleaner This is subject to a bit of trialling. As Bilge Rat says the best effects are with the cleaner sprayed on neat but I have been doing some tests with it diluted about 4-1 and this also works well with hot water
You have to bear in mind that this is not a "detergent" use of detergents and petroleum distillates are not recommended by marine fabric manufacturers as continued use can affect the fabric itself.

Also because it is a "safe cleaner" it will take a bit of extra effort. Gentle use of a nylon scruubing pad or scrubbing brush will generally shift the in grained dirt.

For general "soiling" ie the mud and general detritus from a day's RIBbing then this will normally wash off with cold water anyway so why waste the cleaner ?
I said I'd post some pictures of a (very) old dinghy someone has challenged me with so here they are attached. I Hope !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dingy B4.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	7300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dingy After.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	7301  
Old 05 August 2004, 13:11   #47

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Well I have tried the 303 Aerospace Protectant on my very faded blue gel-coat & I have to say it has given the best results by far of anything I have tried!
With very little effort it looks like new!
The tubes also came up very well.
Have tried it on a very sun bleached red car paint & again very good results with next to no effort!
I think it is by far the best thing I have come across so much so I have just taken delivery of a Gallon of cleaner & protectant.
It is not the cheapest but it seems to work well & with out a lot of elbow grease!
Nick
Old 18 August 2004, 21:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofengland
I received your sample the other day "polisher".
Having returned from a trip out today, I thought I would give it a go. The RIB is fairly new, and has been well cared for by my self, so the only dirt that was on it was a bit of mud, sand, squashed insects etc.
I diluted it 1:30 with cold water, applied to the tubes, left for a few minutes, then scrubbed some more on with a still brush. I have to say, I was a little disappointed. Most of the stains stayed on. Maybe I wasn't using it right, but I have to say, Fairy liquid did a better job...

I might me tempted to buy a larger bottle and try it a bit more concentrated, if you could PM me the cost, and assure me it will in fact work next time!
Tim
sorry you didn't get the expected results. I have since actually cleaned a RIB and listening to the feedback it needs to be a stronger solution and some are getting great results with it neat. I aslo recommend soaking the tube in hot water. As for the stains it may not remove these if they are deep into the fabric. For heavy soiling where the dirt is encrusted on like limescale then I used the solution and a lightly applied piece of scotchbrite to break down the surface after this the 303 cleaner worked in well with just a scrubbing brush.

I can send you another sample to try dilute it to 5;1 max with hot water and try spot cleaning but wash off any general dirt with water first like sand and mud this doen't need 303 to take it off

Mike
Old 21 August 2004, 15:10   #49

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
There, received the "sample" pack today, Thanks Mike.

Horrible weather here today, so i decided now was the time to give it a go.

incase you wonder, this is how she lies when im not using her.

Okay, down to business, the "Cleaning" stuff is clear, smells of nothing and looks suprisingly similar to water?! The safeways nylon sponge thingies died on me, came to bits... so i grabbed an auto nylon scrub pad, which seems to have survived. Pff, talk about elbow grease, i dont know if it was me scrubbing it all off, or the stuff actually helping... anyhow, loads of orange water came off, and it all looks pretty.

The conditioner is great, as soon as you start rubbing it in/drying it off, it really makes the rubber look great, and it also feels lovely... (not that i have a rubber fettish)

I did a 1:7 i think, with warm water, scrubbed the area with warm water and a nylon brush, sprayed it on, left it to soak for 2 min or so, and scrubbed it again... No result.. conclusion, nylon brush sucks. So, grabbed a sponge, repeated same process, fairly little happend except that the scrubby bit came off to bits. conclusion, Sponge not up to the job.. Grabbed a auto nylon scrub pad, (after leaving yet ANOTHER layer to soak in for 2 min)
and wow, it actually worked! Rinsed the pad every 30 seconds in fresh water and went on scrubbing, rinsed all the stuff off after about 5 min of elbow grease, and dried it up, and applied the preservant, and rubbed it off.

Great stuff, standby for an order from me (if my parents will let me use their credit card..)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7611   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	7612  
Old 21 August 2004, 15:43   #50

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
As I think we have established, the product isn't great when diluted. Chances are your efforts were the result of the scrubbing pad taking the top layer off your rubber - hence the orange water. It should only be the dirt coming off....
Old 21 August 2004, 16:33   #51

What top layer of rubber, OOOH you mean the black horrid deteriorated rubber that has been eaten by sunlight and years of mis-use?

I did the rest from that patch up to the nose, and have already started on my second pad!

Polisher, i think you should warn people that any scratches/Marks WILL become more visible

i had no idea that i had so many surface coating scratches! i think i need some new rubber coating stuff (front end) due to some misusage with anchor/sharp objects it seems.

p.s. i give up for today, to much hard work for me
Old 13 September 2004, 13:41   #52

Hmm, seems that i cant edit my post anymore.... The option must vanish after a while!

Anyway, just ordered some stuff.... and here is a picture of the pads i use for my one... i was using car scrub pads (for roughing the surface of aluminium paint up) It seems that i can do about 1m² with a pad.. until it turns all soft and they come to bits...

These spontex pads are virtually the same, and i think they cost £1,- for a packet of 2... dirt cheap!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spontex2.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	8154  
Old 13 September 2004, 13:50   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
Hmm, seems that i cant edit my post anymore.... The option must vanish after a while!

Anyway, just ordered some stuff.... and here is a picture of the pads i use for my one... i was using car scrub pads (for roughing the surface of aluminium paint up) It seems that i can do about 1m² with a pad.. until it turns all soft and they come to bits...

These spontex pads are virtually the same, and i think they cost £1,- for a packet of 2... dirt cheap!
Evan cheaper from under the Kitchen sink!
Old 13 September 2004, 15:40   #54

Town: Worcester
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 4St
has anybody used autoglym rubber care?
Old 13 September 2004, 16:03   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh
has anybody used autoglym rubber care?
Yes I have tried most things!
It worked well they came up nice & shiny but soon dulled down!
But then every thing dose!
Was not shore about the long term affect to the tubes!
Nick
Old 13 September 2004, 16:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
Evan cheaper from under the Kitchen sink!
That's another way of doing it, just get the wife to pay for them
My mommy bought these for me! (see, it helps living with parents. ESPECIALLY if they have a Credit Card... Spares... 303 cleaner.. bits...)
Old 13 September 2004, 16:17   #57

Town: Worcester
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yam 4St
how long did it last for? i.e. a season?
Old 13 September 2004, 16:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh
how long did it last for? i.e. a season?
Hell no try a week!
Nick
Old 13 September 2004, 16:26   #59

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
I really really hate to be..........

......a bore but I use, as I've told everyone a million times "Revival" which is a Zodiac product. It's bloody good and once a few layers have built up the tubes take on a nice clean glow and when soiled following a cruise/time under the tarp etc they clean off easily. My pal has the exact same boat as me but was to tight to spend £13.50 on a little tub of this stuff and instead used elbow grease and an assortment of car/rubber/ off the shelf cleaners, however, whenever we cruised together he'd always remark (as would his passangers) how clean mine was compared to his.
Old 13 September 2004, 16:29   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMe
......however, whenever we cruised together he'd always remark (as would his passangers) how clean mine was compared to his.
And what about the tubes?