Old 17 August 2009, 13:52   #61

Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
There are three Permit Categories in France. These only apply if the boat's engine is greater than 6hp (CV in French) - no licence is required for engines <6hp.

1/ La Carte Mer: for a boat with a motor from 6CV to 50CV. This is a permit for daytime sailing within a 9Km range of the coast, awarded after taking a theory course and practical lessons, and passing a test.

2/ Le Permis Mer Côtier: for boats with motors 50CV and up. This permit allows night sailing, but within a limited range from the coast, and is awarded after a course and test.

3/ Le Permis Mer Hauturier: This is gained through a full boating course at a boat school, and covers all forms of boating.

The International Certificate of Competence (ICC)
The skippers of British Registered boats – motor or sail – do not require an International Certificate of Competence (ICC) when sailing in French coastal waters.
If you are planning to use the French canals and rivers, the boat's skipper must have an ICC certificate valid for Inland Waters (having passed the CEVNI exam). However, if you are planning to charter or use a French registered boat, you may need an ICC - although this is not universally recognised.
The "Carte Mer" no longer exists.
The "Permis Côtier" is not restricted by power now but is limited to 6 nautical milles from a shelter.
The "Permis Hauturier" is purely theory.
In order to navigate on inland water the "Permis fluviale" is required.

Yes the ICC can and should be recognised for boating in France. My father has used his to hire a boat here. There are translations on the RYA website to help communication. http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/boa.../default2.aspx
Old 17 August 2009, 14:24   #62

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Thanks for the update Pablo, I'll amend my file notes
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2009, 23:47   #63

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
RYA PB Lvl 2

I need to do the VHF course soon.

ohhh dont get me started on the RYA, looked into doing my Yachtmasters course a few years ago and my GMDSS GOC was not good enough for these little Hitlers at the RYA even though my ticket was to a far higher capacity than there silly little VHF course, grrrrrrr

Graeme
Old 19 August 2009, 09:05   #64

Thanks every body for your contributions. I'm looking to do a 20 week course called "Brevet de Capitaine 200" which well allow me to commercially drive a boat with upto 12 passengers, 250Kw power upto 60 NM from shore.

What would be the RYA equivalent to this?
Old 19 August 2009, 10:33   #65

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Thanks every body for your contributions. I'm looking to do a 20 week course called "Brevet de Capitaine 200" which well allow me to commercially drive a boat with upto 12 passengers, 250Kw power upto 60 NM from shore.

What would be the RYA equivalent to this?
Yachtmaster Offshore gives 60NM from safe haven
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 10:37   #66

Thanks
Old 19 August 2009, 11:01   #67

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Interesting

is that 20 weeks full time? thats getting close in time to an STCW mate(OOW) ticket
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 11:18   #68

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
So it wasn't just me that noticed all the crap in that alleged list of "qualifications" lol.

When I last looked the RNLI didn't issue "Coxswain" certificates for D Class's either, Coxswain courses only apply to AWBs. All others have helmsmen, not coxswains.

The poser / poster will also find that having an EFAD ticket won't cover him on his "medical van" (whatever that may be ) or indeed anything else not owned by the organisation who ran the course.

There is no blue light license in existence, at all, whatsoever. Not even for vehicles - each vehicle has to be able to demonstrate suitability of purpose to claim the right to use, which has recently been the downfall of a lot of the "vanity" private ambulance companies.

And before the OP starts claiming any different, perhaps he would like to discuss this with me on the hard shoulder during my working hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
God there's some bollix posted on here..ain't there?

Kids, amateurs and "Wannabe Hero" types driving round in vehicles with blue lights...fair boils my piss it does........Feck 'em all off and use professionals. What say you Mr Manning?

(Please note, this post is made after several bottles of Budvar…and specifically excludes all those brave fecka’s who turn out for the RLNI….)
Old 19 August 2009, 12:13   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Mac View Post
ohhh dont get me started on the RYA, looked into doing my Yachtmasters course a few years ago and my GMDSS GOC was not good enough for these little Hitlers at the RYA even though my ticket was to a far higher capacity than there silly little VHF course, grrrrrrr

Graeme
Graeme, I'm not sure who told you this, but they were wrong. The GOC, LRC, and even the ROC are all perfectly acceptable if you intend to take the Yachtmaster Practical Examination. Were you told this by a training centre, or by the RYA themselves?
Old 19 August 2009, 12:18   #70

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Pacific22
Make: Halmatic
Engine: Volvo Penta D6 350
MMSI: 235068452
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Mac View Post

Graeme
I would like to retract my previous statement as I cant seem to edit my last post as it now appears that the RYA are now accepting our GOC certificates, so its good that they are moving with the times I was told this by the RYA themselves but admitadly it was a few years ago, the Captain that I am sailing with now used to have his own yacht charter buisness and on taking his yachtmasters he was told the same and had to sit the RYA radio course, again this was a few years ago.

from their website

Certification required A restricted (VHF only) Radio Operators Certificate or a GMDSS Short Range Certificate or higher grade of marine radio certificate. A valid first aid certificate (first aid qualifications held by Police, Fire and Armed Services are acceptable).

Graeme
Old 19 August 2009, 12:44   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
is that 20 weeks full time? thats getting close in time to an STCW mate(OOW) ticket
Full time.
Old 19 August 2009, 12:50   #72

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
But without the LGV you can't take it out to get fuel. As it's only an emergency vehicle when it's under blue light conditions.

Otherwise it's just a 12 ton red lorry

EFAD - Emergency Fire Apliance Driver is the qualification held by drivers.
would it be classed as a plant vehicle in that case and is still not a goods .
Old 19 August 2009, 13:13   #73

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
pablo
20 weeks full time is a big chunk out of your earning potential best of luck and I genuinely hope all goes well

[ do the qualifications go part way to an OOW ticket and will they let you drive a fire engine. OOW details here
url]http://www.lowestoft.ac.uk/marwatch.asp[/url]
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 13:21   #74

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
would it be classed as a plant vehicle in that case and is still not a goods .

Fire appliances are not excempt vehicles for the purpose of driver licencing.

<edit> I'll amend that and say..they certainly weren't and I can't find anything to say that this has changed..
Old 19 August 2009, 14:26   #75

Town: Ireland
Length: 10m +
Dont bother with the OOW ticket, youll find it extremely hard to get a a job in the Merchant Navy with it & if you do it will be to work for peanuts.... there is far too much availability of cheaper to employ foreign crews from countries with a lower cost of living AND many of them have MCA certificates of equivalent competency so it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out who is going to get the job. Dont believe a word that you hear about a shortage of British & Irish Officers, its a load of Bollo%
Better off carving out a career path with Mc Donalds.... & the food is better!
Old 19 August 2009, 14:41   #76

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
Absolutely right Jono.

There are no in-law exemptions to Goods Vehicle licencing requirements available to anyone outside the police, and even then our ability to drive any vehicle is limited to the purposes of removing obstructions from carriageways, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Fire appliances are not excempt vehicles for the purpose of driver licencing.

<edit> I'll amend that and say..they certainly weren't and I can't find anything to say that this has changed..
Old 19 August 2009, 14:45   #77

Here goes for the explanation :
I am a software engineer/architect/project manager/consultant who is a bit fed up of spending my life behind a computer screen. I can do the 20 week training course whilst still being employed by my current employer and receiving my salary from the state. Once the course finished I can become a individual consultant and continue doing contract work (including for my current company) and work on my own account doing what I want.

The idea is to buy a charter type rib (~7m) capable of carrying upto 6-8 professional passengers to some offshore sites that are going to be put into place around here. Their are 2 energy generating sites and 5 nature reserves within 20 NM from the place I am planning to keep the boat.

I had equally figured that I could organise some holiday packages with for example a 5 day trip with a stay at a different island each evening. That is why I wanted to get an idea of what qualifications you have. It's to figure out if there could be a demand for people just planning on renting the rib during the holiday and following the plan. This would be for the summer months when the "professional" activity would be calmer.

Have I been clear?
Old 19 August 2009, 15:07   #78
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Sounds like a very good plan!
Old 19 August 2009, 15:11   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Sounds like a very good plan!
Are you saying that because you want another trade member?
Old 19 August 2009, 15:19   #80
Administrator

Town: Brighton
No, because I like the sound of a job that will pay you to go on a 20 week boating course then re-employ you as a freelancer. Sounds like a very good deal indeed!

I might also be interested in being a customer for the holiday part of the business. If you can provide a package of a good boat with an interesting itinerary then I think it should appeal to lots of people.