Old 07 September 2014, 10:15   #11

Length: 3m +
There is nothing wrong with rigid toobed boats as such... Most have foam filled toobs. But you need to work out what the toobs are supposed to do are the buoyancy? Are the giant fenders? If the are buoyancy filling with foam would be wise because they certainly won't be fenders when you come alongside something with no internal structure they would crack.

You'd add quite a bit of weight.

You won't get a decent finish glassing over toobs.

If I was having a rigid toob it would be made of polyethylene either rotomoulded or poly toobs bolted on. Both are butt ugly in my opinion. But functional.

Never felt the need to buy an engine and keep it in my garage... Does your garage get on the plane with it? :ROFL:

Old 07 September 2014, 13:20   #12

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: ?
Make: 4.65 Avon
Length: 4m +
Ha ha LOL well the garage has got more than enough HP stored in it to get it going, sad really......... the engine was a 40 Mariner, and I now have a pair, both ex RNLI low hour units, these are for a future project, then there is a 70 yam auto lube which might go on the aforementioned patchwork quilt / RTB if I go for it, then we wont mention the rebuilt Penta inboards which I rebuild for a hobby or the other classic Penta outboards. Anyway if I go for a RTB I would build lockers into the 'toobs' and replace the baffles with plates to give it anti crush capability, and plenty of d strake and big wear patches like the one in the link.

Old 10 September 2014, 17:05   #13

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: ?
Make: 4.65 Avon
Length: 4m +
Well I have decided to patch and play, so do I go for the single 70 yam, or drop the twin 40 mariners on ?????? Also rather than buy huge amounts of expensive hypalon to cover the tops of the tubes, is there a cheaper alternative ?, as I have started the 'tube fund' for sometime next year.