Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Wet Weather Gear

Hi Guys,

Looking to add some clothing to the inventory. Using Wet Suits if weather is OK (but wind chill gets to you if the weather kicks up a bit) and have dry suits (back entry diving suits) for when need it. Would like to catch a sun tan without having to struggle in & out of the rubber gear and still be able to coverup when the wind & waves pick up later in the day.

Don't want to break the bank but would like some protective gear that does the job & doesn't have the drawbacks of my diving kit.

Mainly coastal & inshore Ribbing. Have seen prices for cheap spray suits for £40, up to front entry dry suits at around £300, with breathable inshore jacket/trouser combo's in between the two. What works for you? Any suggestions please?

Jeff
Old 06 March 2006, 23:34   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I've used oilskins (yuk-smelly AND sweaty) survival suits (pain in the arse,looks stupid but you stay dry) and the best thing I've found is my old Sidi Gore-tex lined one piece bike waterproofs.
You stay totally dry as long as you do them up properly and don't go swimming in them. The neck does up on velcro so it's a nice snug fit to stop loads of water getting in.

It's a good idea to wear a polo-neck or a hoody under them to stop a small amount of water going down your neck if you get totally swamped, but even then very little gets in.They stow down small into their own pouch and have a pretty good waterproof zip pocket on the chest. There's plenty of room underneath for warm clothes too and you don't get sweaty.

I rode 150 miles wearing them(Manc to Swindon) at night on an unfaired bike in under 2 hours. While moving I was averaging over 100mph in -5C and sleet/rain a couple of years ago.I wasn't uncomfortably cold when I got off the bike.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2006, 09:22   #3

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
I use Henri Lloyd waterproofs. Not the Goretex stuff but their own material TP3. Its much cheaper and the design of the stuff is the same. The smock has a really good neoprene seal at the waist, wrists and neck. Its not a dry suit, but if you do themn up right it'll keep everything out.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:09   #4

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Andy's suggestion is good.
I use similar Musto HPX smock and hi fits - has rubberised neck and is not comfy/practical.
Old 07 March 2006, 12:13   #5

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Ebay!

Jeff,
I've managed to pick up some great bargains on ebay. I got my hands on some Gill goretex salopettes for £40 and Henri Lloyd (TP2) salopettes for £21!

The jackets are a bit harder to come by, just keep looking and be patient!
Tim.
Old 07 March 2006, 15:03   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I have Gill jacket and trousers, both breathable, and they're great. Keep me warm and dry.
I wear the trousers most often and usually just a fleecy spray proof type fleecy jacket.

Much cheaper than Musto or Gill.

Also have a sailing type dry suit. Wore it a couple of times in my 4m searider (low down back to back seating).
Not used it for 6 years and have just thrown it away and the seals and zip were knackered due to incorrect storage over that time.

Have not got particularly wet in my 5.4m searider (which others will tell you give a wet ride - they don't)

Have stayed pretty dry in my scorpion (Which others will tell you are prone to stuffing -they're not)

If you find you're getting wet in your boat I suggest breathable sailing type waterproofs.
Old 07 March 2006, 15:15   #7

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider

Have not got particularly wet in my 5.4m searider (which others will tell you give a wet ride - they don't)
thats a big fat lie mr saunders.
Old 07 March 2006, 17:19   #8

Town: York
Boat name: Hi Flyer
Make: Humber - Ocean Pro
Engine: Suzuki 140hp
MMSI: 235033234
Wet Weather Gear

Thanks Guys,

Much appreciated.

Jeff