Old 14 July 2016, 13:09   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Viking
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp
West Coast Trip

Hi,

Planning a trip leaving from Kyleakin (Skye) staying for a couple of nights on Raasay and plan to travel to Harris and Lewis. Is there anywhere where we can tie the boats on the South West of the island. We are staying in the Raasay House Hotel. There are 4 RIBs in total, the biggest is a 7m and smallest is a 5m. Any recommendations on places to visit would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 15 July 2016, 07:47   #2

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Hi Chris

I've done a bit around the area and I'm actually in Kyleakin just now.
To your first question, there is, from memory a pier near the hotel but I didn't use it and there must have been a reason...can't remember. I think there was visitor moorings if you've got a means of getting ashore.
Have you spoken with the Harbour Master about berthing at Kyleakin? It's used mostly by commercial tour and fishing boats, and they try to push leisure boats over to Kyle of Lochalsh. I talked my way in with a rib but I know he's chasing sailing boats out. (Wafies).
Lewis and Harris is quite adventurous for a 5mtr boat but if you know what your undertaking I'll not lecture you . Also not much there by way of facilities, even Tarbert in Harris had nowhere you could go alongside with a rib that just really leaves Stornoway.
However not withstanding these issues there are countless cracking places to go. I've just had a couple of brilliant days out with a trip down the Kyles to Mallaig then over to Eigg and yesterday, Rum and Scavaig. (The dolphins are apparently near Canna just now.)
Plockton is only 7mls from Kyleakin and has short term pontoon facilities.. £5 for two hours. Heading north Fladdy is a beautiful natural harbour ideal for a picnic stop, Acarseid Mhor on Rona has a small floating pontoon for going ashore, Good slip at Staffin but can have a bit of a swell running if you're tied alongside.
If caves are your thing there's one on the north side of Trodday, one on the south shore of the approach to Portree and one at the Shaints. I've had the boat into all of them so it's do-able.
If you're visiting Portree (and it's well worth it) make sure there isn't a cruise ship in at the time because they close the pontoon facilities to the public for the duration.......a real bummer. Lochgair (Flowerdale) is also worth a visit if your going that far north.
For scenery, from McLeod's Maidens north passed Niest point is stunning. (Slip at Pooltiel tidal.) and the north west shore of Loch Bracadale has some stunning features. (caves, waterfalls, arches.).

You'll love the place......
Old 18 July 2016, 13:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Hi Chris

I've done a bit around the area and I'm actually in Kyleakin just now.
To your first question, there is, from memory a pier near the hotel but I didn't use it and there must have been a reason...can't remember. I think there was visitor moorings if you've got a means of getting ashore.
Have you spoken with the Harbour Master about berthing at Kyleakin? It's used mostly by commercial tour and fishing boats, and they try to push leisure boats over to Kyle of Lochalsh. I talked my way in with a rib but I know he's chasing sailing boats out. (Wafies).
Lewis and Harris is quite adventurous for a 5mtr boat but if you know what your undertaking I'll not lecture you . Also not much there by way of facilities, even Tarbert in Harris had nowhere you could go alongside with a rib that just really leaves Stornoway.
However not withstanding these issues there are countless cracking places to go. I've just had a couple of brilliant days out with a trip down the Kyles to Mallaig then over to Eigg and yesterday, Rum and Scavaig. (The dolphins are apparently near Canna just now.)
Plockton is only 7mls from Kyleakin and has short term pontoon facilities.. £5 for two hours. Heading north Fladdy is a beautiful natural harbour ideal for a picnic stop, Acarseid Mhor on Rona has a small floating pontoon for going ashore, Good slip at Staffin but can have a bit of a swell running if you're tied alongside.
If caves are your thing there's one on the north side of Trodday, one on the south shore of the approach to Portree and one at the Shaints. I've had the boat into all of them so it's do-able.
If you're visiting Portree (and it's well worth it) make sure there isn't a cruise ship in at the time because they close the pontoon facilities to the public for the duration.......a real bummer. Lochgair (Flowerdale) is also worth a visit if your going that far north.
For scenery, from McLeod's Maidens north passed Niest point is stunning. (Slip at Pooltiel tidal.) and the north west shore of Loch Bracadale has some stunning features. (caves, waterfalls, arches.).

You'll love the place......

That sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the info! Hope to visit quite a few places in the short time we have there! Is there any where where we can get fuel for the boats rather than having to carry loads of it?

Chris
Old 18 July 2016, 16:00   #4

Town: glasgow
Boat name: black cat
Make: redbay
Engine: suzuki 140hp
Hi

if it is of any help I just sold a coastline to Lewis and I can give you his contact details. PM me if interested.

Dave
Old 18 July 2016, 20:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishowden View Post
That sounds fantastic! Thanks for all the info! Hope to visit quite a few places in the short time we have there! Is there any where where we can get fuel for the boats rather than having to carry loads of it?

Chris
Fuelling is an issue, you'll have to think jerry cans as there's nowhere you can get waterside petrol. (maybe someone will surprise me but I doubt it.)
there are a few places where the petrol station is within "lugging distance"

Kyle of Lochalsh not to bad, Gairloch (From north end of the sand beach at Flowerdale....can be seen from the water), Portree (A fair hike from the harbour.....better if you come through Loch Portree (high tide only) and walk up through the car park. Mallaig, petrol station near harbour. Uig, near ferry terminal, Broadford....next to Co-op, rough beach next to it.

PS there's a slip onto the beach at Harlosh....DON'T take your car onto the beach...we've had a Land Rover stuck on it Looks hard but it's like driving on marbles.
Old 18 July 2016, 21:56   #6

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
wheres harlosh
Old 19 July 2016, 07:47   #7

Near Bracadale,

Forgot to mention....cracking slip at Stein almost full tide and the old ferry slip at Kyleakin is full tide. (lots of signs about using it that no one pays any head to.

If you have a chat with the local tour boat operators and the local fishermen their knowledge of the area is fantastic and they're really helpful.
Old 19 July 2016, 09:14   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Lochmaddy on N Uist has good visiting boat facilities. New pontoons, showers, toilets. You will need jerry cans for petrol which is at the Spar shop in the village about 1/2 a mile walk. I'd recommend a folding set of wheels/sack barrow type thing (Wolf tools make a cracker&#128077 The Lochmaddy hotel does a good breakfast as long as you're not in a hurry🙄. The sound of Harris is a short hop from Lochmaddy. They charged us £15 to overnight 2 RIBs, very reasonable.

Don't panic! don't panic!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 10:22   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
.... You will need jerry cans for petrol which is at the Spar shop in the village about 1/2 a mile walk. I'd recommend a folding set of wheels/sack barrow type thing....
Ah, well...you need to go around to the other harbour and you can come directly across the water to below the petrol pump. The shore is pebbly and lots of seaweed so beaching the boat is fine. You just need to clamber up and down the bank with your cans. The shop will trust you if you ask and total the cans each time you fill them then you can pay in one go.
Old 19 July 2016, 11:29   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Ah, well...you need to go around to the other harbour and you can come directly across the water to below the petrol pump. The shore is pebbly and lots of seaweed so beaching the boat is fine. You just need to clamber up and down the bank with your cans. The shop will trust you if you ask and total the cans each time you fill them then you can pay in one go.

Yup, we looked at that option but we hit it at LW & it looked like hard work. Not being familiar with the area we took the wussy option😄

Lions led by donkeys
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2016, 11:29   #11

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Brilliant info there pal thank you. A few of us are up launching from arisaig in August that's really helpful 😄👍
Old 20 July 2016, 08:37   #12

Quote:
Fuelling is an issue, you'll have to think jerry cans as there's nowhere you can get waterside petrol. (maybe someone will surprise me but I doubt it.)
there are a few places where the petrol station is within "lugging distance"

Kyle of Lochalsh not to bad, Gairloch (From north end of the sand beach at Flowerdale....can be seen from the water), Portree (A fair hike from the harbour.....better if you come through Loch Portree (high tide only) and walk up through the car park. Mallaig, petrol station near harbour. Uig, near ferry terminal, Broadford....next to Co-op, rough beach next to it.

PS there's a slip onto the beach at Harlosh....DON'T take your car onto the beach...we've had a Land Rover stuck on it Looks hard but it's like driving on marbles.

That's great thanks for all the info really helpful!

So really there are no marinas that supply fuel? Looks like it's gonna be Jerry cans to the nearest petrol station!
Old 20 July 2016, 09:53   #13

Cracking run out yesterday to Canna, 87nm round trip from Kyleakin. Definitely my favourite of the Small Isles. Scenery stunning.

PS I'm assuming it's petrol and not diesel you're looking for as there are a few of the fishing harbours that have red diesel.
Old 20 July 2016, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Cracking run out yesterday to Canna, 87nm round trip from Kyleakin. Definitely my favourite of the Small Isles. Scenery stunning.

PS I'm assuming it's petrol and not diesel you're looking for as there are a few of the fishing harbours that have red diesel.

Yes petrol. I found a place at Uig that isn't too far a walk so looks like we will fill up there.

Will add that to the list on places to visit.

Thanks
Old 20 July 2016, 14:18   #15

Hotest day in ages, 87 nm and amazing scenery.... NOT in slightest jealous.

I picked the wrong week off eh!
Old 20 July 2016, 16:04   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishowden View Post
Yes petrol. I found a place at Uig that isn't too far a walk so looks like we will fill up there.

Will add that to the list on places to visit.

Thanks
Another place for petrol.....Lochcarron TWO petrol stations. One of them immediately across the road from the slip/jetty (tidal) the other 24/7 a couple of hundred yards away.
Old 20 July 2016, 16:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post

Certainly never missed anything at the weekend....brutal!
Old 21 July 2016, 17:56   #18

A few of photos....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	114587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0067.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	114588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0048.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	114589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0060.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	114590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0101.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	114591  

Old 21 July 2016, 20:27   #19

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Nice Pics!....and thanks for the info...every little helps!
Up that way in a few weeks...I hear they've very recently spotted Orcas off Rum... So keep your eyes peeled

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2016, 22:48   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post

You did.

We slipped out of Lough Swilly (Donegal) on Tuesday and nipped over to Port Askaig (Islay) for the night. A quick trip up the west coast of Jura in the morning, through the Corryvreckan, and back down to the Isle of Gigha last night. Today was a run over to Rathlin for lunch, tea in Cushendal and dinner in Donegal.

Such days, such days....