RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

Some other advice .. Take tick pullers (Tic O’ Tom is my weapon of choice) with you as I always get one or two bites most places I go. Midges are murder so take head nets..dont listen to those that say Avon Skin so Soft is wonderful ..its not !!!

Gurny, if you are regularly in tick risk terrain then these guys would probably be interested in keeping track of your bite rate

https://epidemiology.sruc.ac.uk/proj...e_disease_risk

Tom, the Gurnards advice about tic pullers is particularly pertinent for a multi day trip as there seems to be some evidence that removal within 24hrs is important to reduce Lyme risk. And correct removal reduces the chance of them squirting their nasties into you in the process. If you are particularly worried about tics, then smidge seems to be at least partly effective at reducing bites - worth bearing in mind even when conditions aren’t favouring the midge so you might not get the repellant out. Finally if you do get a bite, don’t assume that Lyme always comes with the bulls eye rash - that is a poor diagnostic and many doctors are not well informed on Lyme (especially once you get back to lower risk areas) - if you get flu like symptoms a week or two after a tic bite you should probably go and see your GP. Although it may just be boating withdrawal symptoms!
Old 07 August 2019, 14:06   #62

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Uncle Ray
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp
"Although it may just be boating withdrawal symptoms!"

Thanks Poly, noted on the tick front, we have a couple of pullers packed, I've done a fair amount of camping and walking so pretty used to the threat, somehow I've always managed to avoid a bite, but my friend had two in Solway on a camp last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Gurny, if you are regularly in tick risk terrain then these guys would probably be interested in keeping track of your bite rate

https://epidemiology.sruc.ac.uk/proj...e_disease_risk

Tom, the Gurnards advice about tic pullers is particularly pertinent for a multi day trip as there seems to be some evidence that removal within 24hrs is important to reduce Lyme risk. And correct removal reduces the chance of them squirting their nasties into you in the process. If you are particularly worried about tics, then smidge seems to be at least partly effective at reducing bites - worth bearing in mind even when conditions aren’t favouring the midge so you might not get the repellant out. Finally if you do get a bite, don’t assume that Lyme always comes with the bulls eye rash - that is a poor diagnostic and many doctors are not well informed on Lyme (especially once you get back to lower risk areas) - if you get flu like symptoms a week or two after a tic bite you should probably go and see your GP. Although it may just be boating withdrawal symptoms!
Old 07 August 2019, 14:29   #63

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Your blood must be poisoned if they dont like you Tom... I am not exaggerating when I say every island I land on is crawling with them. The problem is they are multiplying because the ground is no longer burned to clear the heather. That used to kill them off and kept numbers lower...as well as sheep dips..but that was banned too as being bad for the environment. The sheep were like mops collecting ticks as they wandered ..then the dips killed the ticks.

I wear my drysuit bottoms when wandering through long grass / ferms. I often see them crawling up the sides of the tent. This year alone I have had to remove around 50 of the blighters .. they are almost always the very small nymph size ..smaller than a pin head..but they can still carry lymes disease. My worst day this year was seven in the one day..and two were in an area I could not reach with tick pullers myself.

On a brighter note ..I dont get boating withdrawal symptoms ..simply because I practically live in them now..and I definitely dont get work withdrawal symptoms since I quit that to follow my dreams.

Im not the best person to advise on safety check in that I inform no one..unless Im leaving my car in a campsite before setting off. I once told the warden at Portnadoran that I was going to go over to Eigg and camp overnight before returning. Someone on the campsite saw me leave and became concerned when I didn’t return. They contacted the coast guard who were about to launch a full scale search for me. Fortunately the police phoned the campsite to get my car REG possibly to find out who I was. The warden then explained I was camping on Eigg and the search..which was to include two life boats and the helicopter from Prestwick was called off as a false alarm. I always advise people to leave word with people who see you park up or leave from campsites. If I wanted to notify anyone..it would be the coast guard.. I have very occasionally let them know of my plans if I think its going to be rough crossing and they dont mind...obviously I let them know when I consider myself as low risk again.
Old 07 August 2019, 14:52   #64

50 and no Lymes you're doing well! Might just eat sleep walk in the dry suit for 11 days!

Quote:
Your blood must be poisoned if they dont like you Tom... I am not exaggerating when I say every island I land on is crawling with them. The problem is they are multiplying because the ground is no longer burned to clear the heather. That used to kill them off and kept numbers lower...as well as sheep dips..but that was banned too as being bad for the environment. The sheep were like mops collecting ticks as they wandered ..then the dips killed the ticks.

I wear my drysuit bottoms when wandering through long grass / ferms. I often see them crawling up the sides of the tent. This year alone I have had to remove around 50 of the blighters .. they are almost always the very small nymph size ..smaller than a pin head..but they can still carry lymes disease. My worst day this year was seven in the one day..and two were in an area I could not reach with tick pullers myself.

On a brighter note ..I dont get boating withdrawal symptoms ..simply because I practically live in them now..and I definitely dont get work withdrawal symptoms since I quit that to follow my dreams.

Im not the best person to advise on safety check in that I inform no one..unless Im leaving my car in a campsite before setting off. I once told the warden at Portnadoran that I was going to go over to Eigg and camp overnight before returning. Someone on the campsite saw me leave and became concerned when I didn’t return. They contacted the coast guard who were about to launch a full scale search for me. Fortunately the police phoned the campsite to get my car REG possibly to find out who I was. The warden then explained I was camping on Eigg and the search..which was to include two life boats and the helicopter from Prestwick was called off as a false alarm. I always advise people to leave word with people who see you park up or leave from campsites. If I wanted to notify anyone..it would be the coast guard.. I have very occasionally let them know of my plans if I think its going to be rough crossing and they dont mind...obviously I let them know when I consider myself as low risk again.
Old 07 August 2019, 15:15   #65

Multiply 50 by the number of year I have been doing it and its hundreds if not thousands of ticks. That does not mean I don't have Lymes disease ..I may well have.. I believe many folks don't know they have it.

My young brother unfortunately knows he has it ..it ruined his life when agaed 48..hes 60 now and still suffers its effects. It drain him of energy..his face start twitching and he staggers when it gets bad. It apparently goes for the nervous system in some folks.

I had chronic hepatitis for god knows how many years until my liver started to fail. I never knew I had it..hence why I say I could also have lymes disease but don't know. I sont let the buggers stop my enjoyment of the wilds and will worry about it if I become ill. Around 3 percent of tick carry it..and that can be reduced if you get them out within 24 hours ..so I keep my fingers crossed.

I just thank god that midges don't carry lymes disease
Old 07 August 2019, 16:25   #66

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I'm with the Gurnard on letting the coast guard know your plans, I too have had well meaning folk raising concern at not seeing me return of an evening. But the coast guard had it covered, eventually! I'm also with him on the uselessness of the Avon product, folk who think it works must never have seen real midges. You can't do better than going to Boots and buying their's or Autan insect repellent. You don't need to smell seriously bad to be midge free - and the midges don't care anyway.
Old 07 August 2019, 17:42   #67

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I'm also with him on the uselessness of the Avon product, folk who think it works must never have seen real midges.

I don't know... we've seen the real midges sent out to ensure southerners don't stay more than their allotted 1-2wks holiday and mostly for us it's been a success. Mind you it's important you believe in it or it won't work. Bit like owning an Alfa Romeo... if you trust it will be reliable then no problems... it you have the slightest doubts then it will bite you in the arse.
Old 07 August 2019, 21:55   #68

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
There is quite a lot of advice nowadays on dealing with ticks. My other half is now an excellent tick hunter but you do have to suffer the indignity of being searched everywhere. It's worthwhile checking every night as if you end up in a place with a lot of ticks, it's easy to miss a few on the first inspection.

The Avon stuff does work although the effectiveness is relatively short lived i.e. you have to reapply it pretty frequently.

My preferred protection is a net worn over a baseball cap plus the Avon stuff.

Smidge seems to be the product sold in the local stores up here (Outer Hebrides).
Old 08 August 2019, 09:45   #69

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
It's worthwhile checking every night as if you end up in a place with a lot of ticks, it's easy to miss a few on the first inspection.

Ahh yes, the nightly “Tick inspection”; highlight of my holiday [emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2019, 09:47   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ahh yes, the nightly “Tick inspection”; highlight of my holiday [emoji6]
It's become a routine check on past camps with friends, but my partners face when I told her what we had to do
Old 08 August 2019, 12:41   #71
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_20000 View Post
50 and no Lymes you're doing well! Might just eat sleep walk in the dry suit for 11 days!

There is no evidence that Lyme can survive in a pure Guiness solution. Sounds like the ticks like the taste of it though!
Old 09 August 2019, 10:37   #72

Make: F-rib
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Been following this thread as it now has lots of great resources on touring around Mull etc so thanks to everyone who contributed

We are up in 10 days time but in the Frib so just doing day trips (see thread here http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/launchi...och-82014.html

Never spent so much time looking at wind and weather forecasts, next week doesn't look to bad but the weekend might get a bit lively for you

Great spreadsheet BTW, useful template for a route plan and lots of additional info that might come in handy

Will look forward to the trip updates

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09 August 2019, 11:47   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm289 View Post

Never spent so much time looking at wind and weather forecasts, next week doesn't look to bad but the weekend might get a bit lively for you

Ach ..you cant go with long range forecast when there is such a lot of low pressure areas around mm289 .

The secret of success for these trips is you must be totally flexible .. and go by the forecast the following couple of days only ...even then you have to adapt as you go.

As an example last Sat to Tuesday the forecast was abysmal too. I had pre planned going round Jura in an inflatable by going a clockwise direction leaving on Saturday afternoon then travelling 55 miles on the Sunday..down the Sound of Jura ..then up the Sound of Islay to hopefully reach Loch Tarbet. Sunday was to be F4 SE winds and heavy rain.

Sat late afternoon when we left Oban was far nicer than forecast..in fact the sea was flat calm ..so I decided while travelling in the boats to change to go round Jura anticlock and also travel further that the initial plan.. and it was the correct thing to do..as Sundays winds were stronger than forecast but still from the SE so we were in a shelter shore with off shore winds. It blew up to possibly F6 so we landed and camped for the rest of the day. It also poured down as per forecast but we were lucky it was during the nights.

Monday we were up early to get round the Southern tip of Jura ..so if the wind did get up again as per forecast ..it would at least be blowing in the same direction as the strong tides in the Sound of Islay . We had a smooth journey then had the wind help blow us back up the sound of Jura. If the winds had been strong when we left..I would have about turned and went back the way I came ..again on the sheltered shore with the wind off shore. Its suicidal to stick rigidly with plans.

I guess what Im trying to illustrate is ..Islands off the west always have a sheltered side in any winds.. be totally flexible in your plans and you can still have a great time.

Plan to have winds and tides going in the same direction ..even if it means getting up early or leaving later. When its too rough .. land and go exploring by foot. I have had an absolute fantastic year on the water this year .. and out on the sea more days than on land..yet the long range forecast have been abysmal.

So saying..Im at home this weekend....
Old 09 August 2019, 11:59   #74

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Towing north through Callander tomorrow.

The more miserable the weather the easier that'll be.
Old 09 August 2019, 12:09   #75

Yup..thats the worst part Last Tango..driving from Stirling to Killin..I hate that part...especially this time of year

Tomorrow I have planned to go to Edinburgh with my eldest daughter as we both enjoy a day wandering around the Fringe Festival. However..Im totally flexible there too..if its pouring down ..I will just go into town ..and go with the flow of Guinness down my throat ..so Sunday could be a very windy day
Old 09 August 2019, 12:21   #76

Quote:
Yup..thats the worst part Last Tango..driving from Stirling to Killin..I hate that part...especially this time of year ....
You should get a motorbike, that's a favourite stretch of road.

Old 09 August 2019, 12:28   #77

I would loose my license if I went back to a bike JWalker ..

Im bad enough in a slow car with trailer ..3 point at Lochearnhead ..3 points at Strathyre ..and a public warning in Callander ..but Im clean again next month .. so can start overtaking again
Old 09 August 2019, 15:13   #78

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You should get a motorbike, that's a favourite stretch of road.

Hog with a 50mm hitch....? I think "traffic" would have a field day.
Old 09 August 2019, 16:51   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Hog with a 50mm hitch....? I think "traffic" would have a field day.
Hehe, you're well out of touch! https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/569423946614532164/
Old 09 August 2019, 16:59   #80

Quote:
I would loose my license if I went back to a bike JWalker ..
Jeez, you were getting close without a motorbike! Golden rule, never speed in a built up area.

Quote:
Im bad enough in a slow car with trailer ..3 point at Lochearnhead ..3 points at Strathyre ..and a public warning in Callander ..but Im clean again next month .. so can start overtaking again
Well, that's three of the usual places to get caught, but there's more. Actually, I started a thread on ribnet years ago about the speed trap places on that road. However, nowadays my sat nav knows about them all so they must be documented somewhere.