Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
West coast of Scotland.

Looking at taking a couple of ribs up to the west coast of Scotland for a fortnights holiday next July and we are looking at cottages or lodges pref with a mooring. I have had a look on various websites and all the places on offer look stunning, I'm just wondering if anyone on here can recommend somewhere that can offer us a good two weeks of ribbing and fishing. Oh!! and there has got to be a pub or two within walking distance

kerny.
Old 12 September 2011, 22:17   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi K Tayvallich my base and Easdale. The boys from further north will be on shortly.

B
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 22:28   #3

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Ardfern - or if you really must, Craobh Haven. Also Lunga estate has some self catering and you can anchor your RIB in the bay (just south of Craobh). There's a slip too.

Great cruising both sides of the Craignish peninsula and ok fishing too.

PS There's a pub on each side.
Old 12 September 2011, 22:35   #4
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Easdale was a bit special.
Watch this in "fullscreen" and then tell me you don't want to go there. Secure mooring, good pub/beer/food. Near Oban for fuel/spares etc. Fantastic cruising ground - Mull/Colonsay/Scarba/Jura etc, good sheltered water for the most part.
Old 12 September 2011, 22:40   #5

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Easdale was a bit special.
Watch this in "fullscreen" and then tell me you don't want to go there. Secure mooring, good pub/beer/food. Near Oban for fuel/spares etc. Fantastic cruising ground - Mull/Colonsay/Scarba/Jura etc, good sheltered water for the most part.
Only 45 mins from Ardfern.
Old 12 September 2011, 22:41   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I'd certainly second Jambo's suggestion. Depending on your budget and numbers I can recommend the cottage we stayed in this year with its own pontoon. Tayvallich offers relatively easy access to the sound of jura (and if you are in a rush then stick it straight in at Carsaig Bay 1mile away by road but cutting if you are heading North saving probably 30+ mins by sea. If the weather is poor then the shelter of Loch Sween will still let you get out.

Only 1 pub though.

JK stayed in a cottage at Craobh Haven, and from what I saw on my visit it was a nice little cottage. Completely different setting to Tayvallich though and unless you wanted to be in the marina (or like John were renting a boat based there) I'd go go for Tayvallich every time, not that Craobh is bad - but "TV" is special.

Ardfern or Easdale would be good alternatives too.
Old 12 September 2011, 22:49   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
RIBase
Did he get that rig from Liverpool Power Boats willk ??

Yep, looks stunning, but that's the trouble,, so many beautiful places, decisions, decisions
Old 12 September 2011, 23:00   #8

RIBase
Was the cottage you stayed at any one of these Neil.

Tayvallich Village Website
Old 12 September 2011, 23:07   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Did he get that rig from Liverpool Power Boats willk ??

Yep, looks stunning, but that's the trouble,, so many beautiful places, decisions, decisions
You've got 2 weeks so if you base yourself at any of the places mentioned you can visit the others. Does Mrs Kerny go on the boat? or does she require reasonable road links because that may affect the decision. Also are there any little Kernies? Is the boat likely to be the main attraction everyday for everybody ? if not what is a good holiday you guys (to me Oban is only a place I visit out of "necessity" to get things we need, but others prefer a bit of population and would like to be close to it).

Of course there are loads of other places you can visit too, varying from the Clyde Estuary to further North: Skye, Plockton, Gairloch, etc. but that is a bit of extra travel and there is no doubt that the area from Gigha to Fort William can provide you with more than enough cruising to entertain any ribber with your size boat for a couple of weeks. Spectacular scenery, deserted beaches, tranquility, a range of distilleries, and some interesting "water features" add to the interest in this area.
Old 12 September 2011, 23:23   #10

RIBase
No little kerny's, youngest will be 18 and probably won't come with us, mrs k will ride on the rib but we will not be out on the rib every day, that would cost a fortune in juice, so yes something a little different to just being out on the water every day. Distillery visits sound very interesting also we don't mind jumping in the car to travel for an hour or so to visit places of interests. I've been to Oban and Fort William before and I would like to take mrs kerny to the top of Ben Nevis but only after I have doubled her life insurance
Old 12 September 2011, 23:38   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Was the cottage you stayed at any one of these Neil.

Tayvallich Village Website
Kerny,

We stayed at Smithy Cottage (which is on there but has its own more detailed site tayvallichcottages: Welcome) this year. Basically a very nice spacious 2 bedroom (4 person) cottage which has a wooden "challet" in the garden that could sleep another 4. Theres a couple of rowing boats free of charge (which may not be of interest but help keep any littl'uns amused). Its main attraction for us was the Jetty/Pontoon.

The owners also own Anvil Cottage and another, which don't officially get access to the Pontoon but there was a running mooring set up for anvil cottage which would be fine with your size boat.

It wasn't cheap, but for the capability to sleep 6+ people then in peak season this was not bad. Considering you've no marina fees (other than a small donation at the public slip) it is pretty good.

In previous years (I think this was our 4th trip) we have stayed at the Steadings which also nice but isn't on the water side so not so convenient (last year I set up a temporary running mooring but it was a bit of a PITA as the harbour is so crowded and all the "good spots" are already used). If the weather was OK you can possibly keep your boat afloat at the Carsaig side (direct into Sound of Jura) but its not very sheltered. I think I saw a sign at the main visitors pontoon at tayvallich that they were now allowing overnight mooring at a small part of the pontoon (never previously been allowed). Not sure what the costs are or how busy it is etc. Jambo might have a better idea. The pontoon is only 5 minutes walk from almost all the cottages in tayvallich.

Whilst tayvallich is just about perfect for us, it might not be everyone's cup of tea. We took the inlaws for a long weekend a few years ago, and whilst they liked it I think if it had been for a week they would have gone crazy. They are more cruise ship type people though!

As another alternative if you wanted to be a little further north, then we used to keep the boat at Linnhe Marine (www.linnhemarina.com) who would provide pontoon/moorings for your stay (I think he was charging £10/nt last time I was there). Very nice guys, running a tiny little family business. I think they had cottages of some sort (if not they will certainly know some) - immediate proximity to a pub may be an issue for any that are close to the boat. 10 minutes north of there we have also stayed at Kentallen Lodges which were OK but are now under new ownership so I can't confirm what they are like now. They are on a small hotel site, with a tiny harbour. The hotel has a small pool which might be useful with kids. If you are not out on the boat though - you will need to drive to do anything from there as Kentallen is essentially in the middle of nowhere (although it is on the main road).
Old 12 September 2011, 23:51   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Watch this[/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL] in "fullscreen" and then tell me you don't want to go there....
I don't want to go there.

Only joking!

That's excellent!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 07:58   #13

Town: Easdale
Make: Humber/Quinquari
Length: 10m +
Engine: Outboard
Easdale

There are lots of suggestions of where to visit. An important factor may be your experience and choice of RIB cruising. Easdale has its advantages. Very safe harbour. There are 2 pubs and plenty of good quality accommodation.
You are however on an exposed part of the west coast. Easdale is not a long way up a sea loch. Out of the harbour, left run 400m and left a bit more - next stop USA/Canada. You can quickly get shelter for cruising but you have a mile or so to run
The islands are extensive, the cruising options are wide but you do need a well found RIB. Seafari Adventures (Oban) operate from Easdale daily and are more than happy to offer cruising advice relative to wind and sea conditions.

Take a look at
Eilean Eisdeal - the Easdale Island Community Development Group
Easdale RIB Rendezvous | Rib Adventure weekend in the west coast of Scotland

Tony
Old 13 September 2011, 08:25   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
(slightly) further north there are chalets at Ardoran http://www.ardoran.co.uk/ , who is also the local Suzi / Honda dealer, so has slip, moorings etc. Other side of Oban there is Tralee http://www.tralee.com/ , and a bit further up the road is Creran Moorings Chalets Which is associated with Creran Marine (for moorings, slip etc). Never stayed at any of them, as my usual haunt is not much further up the coast, but I all come recommended. Pub might be a slightly longer walk than you might want from some.

Then even further up the coast there's Chalets at Cregan, The Holly Tree at Kentallen, and at Glencoe Village there are both hotel & campsite as used by 99% of the 70 Wild Miles rescue team, giving you lochs Etive & Linnhe on your doorstep, with not much of a tow to get to a good chunk of the coast north of Ardnamurchan - but I'll hand you over to the locals there for the detail up there....

Is one of our members not on Mull at Craignure? There was a post recently about his site.....
Old 13 September 2011, 08:52   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
(slightly) The Holly Tree at Kentallen,
that is what I called Kentallen Lodges - although it seems it is actually Loche Linnhe Lodges, Kentallen, Argyll

Quote:
Is one of our members not on Mull at Craignure? There was a post recently about his site.....
That is Ruair29... think his site is caravan/camping only but I might be wrong.
Old 13 September 2011, 08:57   #16

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Looking at all the above. I just want to retire early with enough money to do the above
Old 13 September 2011, 09:11   #17
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Looking at all the above. I just want to retire early with enough money to do the above
Not sure what Mrs HP does, but are IFA's not quite mobile? No reason to wait till you retire if you could go and start doing it now...
Old 13 September 2011, 09:36   #18

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
It's as much the one year old as the job that's meant I've been out once this year. Just no time to spare. All good things come to those who wait.

Perhaps once the little one is older I can take her with me.
Old 13 September 2011, 10:56   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We had a fantastic week in a log cabin on a site at the head of loch Feochan? About 3 years ago. Good log cabins, pub within walking distance, Oban was 10 minutes by boat. There's a boat yard a mile down the road from the site that has a good all tides slip & a pontoon. They charged me £30 to keep the boat there for the week. I'd go back at the drop of a hat. Only problem in July MIDGES!!!!!!!

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 12:58   #20

Town: Essex
Boat name: Kestrel
Make: Gemini
Engine: Opti 150
I stayed at Cologin country cottages. Pretty basic but very clean