Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Weight or transon change

Morning all

I finally had the new boat out to play last weekend. I proper hour run there and back - with some great diving in between.

My only problem was the weight of the nose. The boat reared fair on exceleration but that is controlable. However she was lreally light in the nose on the plane I moved the dive kit forward and this solved the issue however I'm a bit nevous about taking her out without the kit in the bow as she'll be light again. I only needed to move one set forward so am I just over reacting and all wil be fine empty?

The dive kit was behind the consol, 2 sets on the seat back. Fuel and battery are under the seat, 30l with a spare 25 in the front of the consol.

The boat is 4.5m Rimini with a 40hp on the back.

My thought was to have a hatch / box put in the bow where I could put the anchor / chain and rope (currently in the front of the consol). However it's been suggested that I lengthen the boat by having some bits added to the transom, this would mean a longer boat and less distance between the transom and the end of the tube. Another idea is to move the consol forward a foot?

I fancy a box seat across the bow anyhow - can't put one in front the consol as I have to open the front to get large things (fuel taks, oil, anchor) in and out. Any suggestions on where to get one?

Any thoughts on the ideas above or other ideas that could help?

Ta muchly
Old 07 June 2009, 11:34   #2

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
I had exactly the same problem and ended up making a front locker for the anchor and fuel tank (which were at the rear before). If you search for "anchor locker" or just "locker" there have been lots of innovative solutions !

I would personally stay clear of extending the transom - you are just going to end up adding more weight further back (and it's not as easy as moving stuff forward !).
Old 08 June 2009, 08:17   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Trim the engine down a bit?
Old 10 June 2009, 15:56   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
What do you mean "light in the nose on plane"?

My Achilles used to run with the bow fairly clear of the water when at speed. Lots of lift at the bow climbing out of the hole, but it would settle to a more flat posture if you ran just above planing speed, the climb out a bit more if you rolled on more throttle.

Unless you're way bow-high at speed, it sounds kind of normal to me.

jky
Old 10 June 2009, 19:28   #5

Town: N. Devon
RIBase
I'll try moving the engine down a notch on the peg. Only has the manual trim, no powered one

The bow really did feel unstable. I'm used to using a 5.5m and that ride so much sweeter.

I'll have a good play this weekend and see what comes.

Andy
Old 11 June 2009, 08:23   #6

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Only has the manual trim, no powered one
Me too It is a bit of an experimental game. My old SR was a touch on the low power side (25HP) and I ended up puting the pin in a different hole depending what I was doing (playing rescue boat or cruising)

Also remember that where you sit relative to the bow will give you a different perception of "way out the water" - the console on my Humber is a similar distance form the transom as my SR4 was - the result being the extra metre or so of boat ahead of my seat means the bow seems sky high when travelling - but a photo taken by a friend shows it's the same sort of angle as the SR was!

A smaller rib will also seem a lot more "bouncy" than a larger one. I can blast through stuff flat out sat down with the Humber (5.3) where I would be crouching & playing the throttle on the 4m.

If you're playing with the trim pin, good idea is to attatch it at the handle end with a bit of 3mm nylon (dinghy flag halliard string) - then you won't need the dive kit to recover it!
Old 11 June 2009, 19:16   #7

Town: N. Devon
RIBase
Ta muchly