Old 20 February 2017, 08:18   #1

Boat name: Leeloo
Make: SR4.7
Length: 4m +
Weatherproof storage pouch / pocket for console

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been covered before;

I'm thinking of installing a waterproof pocket / pouch on the side of the console - somewhere to store phones etc. - and would be keen to know if anyone else has done this. It would have the dual purpose of covering up some unsightly holes left in the face of the console

As far as I can see, my options include getting something custom fabricated (maybe the people who did my cover could knock something up) or buying off the shelf.

I did also wonder if the hypalon storage pouches fitted to the military Seariders would fit in that space - does anyone know where you can source these?

Cheers! R
Old 20 February 2017, 08:36   #2

Length: 3m +
Do you want 100% proof?
Old 20 February 2017, 08:40   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Speak to Henshaws...they do a nice in Made to measure and at very reasonable prices...plus they can match any colour and type of Hyperlon... Having done loads for the Military over the years.
The only issue you'll have is what you consider waterproof?...youll still have to put vulnerable stuff in secondary containers...when the weather is Bad.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 08:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Do you want 100% proof?
I'd be interested to see what my options are either way - if I went the custom route I'd imagined a pouch with an elasticated opening at the top, similar to the pockets you sometimes get on sailing dinghies. Very easy access but really not waterproof at all.

Thinking about it my priority is probably more about ease of access rather than fiddling around with buckles etc. and probably less concerned about 100% waterproofing. I tend to use the boat during good weather anyway, and if it is really peeing down I'll put my phone in the pocket of my sailing jacket...

Cheers, R
Old 20 February 2017, 08:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Speak to Henshaws...they do a nice in Made to measure and at very reasonable prices...plus they can match any colour and type of Hyperlon... Having done loads for the Military over the years.
The only issue you'll have is what you consider waterproof?...youll still have to put vulnerable stuff in secondary containers...when the weather is Bad.
Thanks! Will have a look at this.

As above, on reflection I think its more about convenient storage and access, and less about waterproofness!
Old 20 February 2017, 11:27   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
By the way,That looks one clean SR!
You can always fit the Hyperlon carry bags to the Tubes al'a Military spec

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2017, 11:39   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i use one of these on the right of the dash round hatch with a waterproof bag fitted inside it. got it off ebay less than £20
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161120_125827.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	118080  
Old 20 February 2017, 12:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
By the way,That looks one clean SR!
You can always fit the Hyperlon carry bags to the Tubes al'a Military spec
Thanks! Yes, I did think about getting something on the tubes, but I like the idea of using that space on the console. The other idea I had was to fit a waterproof USB socket either inside the bag / pocket, so that it's all nicely tucked away from spray etc., or maybe elsewhere on the console... Have a look at this: SC-USB-01 Waterproof Dual USB Charge Socket : SC-USB-01 Waterproof Dual USB Charge Socket (12-24V)

It's been nice having some time over the winter to tidy up stuff I couldn't get done last year. Gave the transom area the full OCD treatment recently - de-cluttered and removed a load of redundant fittings, need to fill the holes when I do my gel repairs:

Old 20 February 2017, 12:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
i use one of these on the right of the dash round hatch with a waterproof bag fitted inside it. got it off ebay less than £20
That looks really tidy! I would do this if I had some usable volume in the console, but it's a bit hectic in there at the moment so probably going to stick something on the outside. Cheers!
Old 20 February 2017, 12:23   #10

RIBase
what about a waterprof box such as a peli? lomo water sports do stuff also look at kayak stuff Rupes.
agree with Maximus boat looks great
Old 20 February 2017, 12:37   #11

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
Loads of choice here Cases
Old 20 February 2017, 12:38   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
what about a waterprof box such as a peli? lomo water sports do stuff also look at kayak stuff Rupes.
agree with Maximus boat looks great

Thanks Jeff - I will have a look at the kayak stuff, I already have a load of roll-top dry bags so am covered there, this was really just about having a handy pocket on the console...
Old 20 February 2017, 12:50   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
That looks really tidy! I would do this if I had some usable volume in the console, but it's a bit hectic in there at the moment so probably going to stick something on the outside. Cheers!
I was going to suggest similar. Like this: Allen Inspection Hatch Bag 6" With Grey Cover A0537-BAG-GY | Dinghy Sailing at sailboats.co.uk probably needs very little room inside the console and the sock will flop down.
Old 20 February 2017, 12:56   #14

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I was going to suggest similar. Like this: Allen Inspection Hatch Bag 6" With Grey Cover A0537-BAG-GY | Dinghy Sailing at sailboats.co.uk probably needs very little room inside the console and the sock will flop down.
spot on poly i have loads of stuff at the back of mine and i just push bits where i can its only for car keys, phone & wallet whilst afloat in my case
Old 20 February 2017, 13:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Loads of choice here Cases
Thanks for the link - not quite what I was after for this application, but look like really good quality products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Thanks for this - definitely one solution. I'm not sure I was very clear in my description but I'm increasingly leaning towards having something which provides reasonably secure stowage i.e. my phone isn't going to jump out and overboard, but which I can easily access with one hand. I'm less worried about it being waterproof, but ideally some level of splash protection.

I am wondering if a custom pocket with a taught elastic closure at the top might be the way to go. Will maybe ask the cover people if they could knock something up...

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming! R
Old 20 February 2017, 16:15   #16

RIBase
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...4lZ_SAhWEOxQKH

you could adapt a radio pouch? especially the chest ones
Old 20 February 2017, 17:00   #17

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Hard to beat ziploc bags :-). Then you just need a storage location and it only needs to be mostly waterproof. Also rather than a charging socket, which is pretty handy, perhaps one of those extra batteries/chargers they sell for USB devices? My kids have them and they are effective and cheap.
Old 20 February 2017, 18:08   #18

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
Nice little SR that!!. hope this helps. Made by Henshaws, I believe Whisper on here has a Genuine Avon Pocket of the small size, if you ask nicely Im sure he will sort you out. I used a roll up marine bag inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3813.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	118082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	118083  
Old 20 February 2017, 19:06   #19

If waterproofing is not on the agenda then search for "Dinghy Halyard Bags" - i.e. something like these:

Blue Performance Small Cockpit Storage Bag - Sewn Storage & Covers - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing

But they are designed for tidiness not water protection.

That said I'd not have a phone in any waterproof container or my jacket pocket without it being protected in some way. The time you need your phone out things may not be as calm as when you put it in the container. Even if it has stayed dry in the container when you open it to take it out it will risk getting wet...
Old 21 February 2017, 08:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Nice little SR that!!. hope this helps. Made by Henshaws, I believe Whisper on here has a Genuine Avon Pocket of the small size, if you ask nicely Im sure he will sort you out. I used a roll up marine bag inside
Cheers Matt! That's really useful thanks - those hypalon pockets could also be good for keeping the mooring lines dry and tidied away... I will drop Whisper a line to see if he still has one and to check the dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
If waterproofing is not on the agenda then search for "Dinghy Halyard Bags" - i.e. something like these:

Blue Performance Small Cockpit Storage Bag - Sewn Storage & Covers - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing

But they are designed for tidiness not water protection.

That said I'd not have a phone in any waterproof container or my jacket pocket without it being protected in some way. The time you need your phone out things may not be as calm as when you put it in the container. Even if it has stayed dry in the container when you open it to take it out it will risk getting wet...
This is much more like what I originally had in mind, but I didn't know what they were called - thank you. I will do a bit more searching on 'halyard bags'. Re: phone storage generally, I take your point, but to be completely honest I've never had a problem using my phone completely unprotected on the boat just being careful, and I do have a waterproof VHF for emergencies. This is really just a convenient pocket to store the phone in good conditions and within easy reach...

Looking through ebay and at army surplus I stumbled across the following options:

The last couple are designed for paintballing I think, unfortunately they're a little to big for the space I had in mind. Not sure if this stuff would hold up to the marine environment very long but they will be under the boat cover when not in use and pretty cheap...

Cheers!