Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 July 2012, 07:36   #21
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohelm View Post
I am actually suprised it is not a legal requirement to wear a lifejacket in any fast open motorboats in the UK? Driving around when it is POSSIBLE to operate the boat while standing up in the Netherlands as well as not having lifejackets 'grab ready ' for all on board will will mean a huge fine..(and the waterrozzers DO check)
I don't understand what the "standing up" part of your post means?

I think that a "grab ready" lifejacket is a silly concept on a fast open boat - there are so many scenarios where it will be useless.

There has been life jacket (and drug/alcohol) legislation in Ireland for many years now. It is largely ignored and I've never heard of it being enforced in any way. A shame as there have been many deaths in this time, most of which would not have occurred had the individuals been wearing a PFD.
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 09:41   #22
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Education not legislation for me.
__________________

__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 13:20   #23
Member
 
gohelm's Avatar
 
Country: Netherlands
Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 233
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

I don't understand what the "standing up" part of your post means?

I think that a "grab ready" lifejacket is a silly concept on a fast open boat - there are so many scenarios where it will be useless.

There has been life jacket (and drug/alcohol) legislation in Ireland for many years now. It is largely ignored and I've never heard of it being enforced in any way. A shame as there have been many deaths in this time, most of which would not have occurred had the individuals been wearing a PFD.

Standing up as in opposite to being seated, includes most RIBs ;-)
Grab ready is a free translation and yes I do agree it's stupid in 99 pct of the cases
The fine is actually 40 euros for 1 vest upto 120 euros ( fined to skipper) for more 'offender's on same boat
The shame part not wearing a PFD : yes agree ; (like the german sailing coach who passed away actually took a wee on a moving boat (found it doing 10 knots) without wearing a lifejacket an without kill cord..)
__________________
gohelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 13:41   #24
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
Anyone ever tried to put a lifejacket on in the water
You may stand a chance with a bouyancy aid
But trying to put on a compact auto /inflate one if its gone off very much doubt it especially in cold water with heavy clothing and then trying to start adjusting straps to have it float your face above water proper .
That is if it works at all !

When I used to do boat safety talks for the Rnli the first thing I did was to pick a member of the audience and go through a short scenario of not wearing a pfd on a yacht or motor boat and suddenly finding yourself in the water or sinking fast through being holed or collision
all food for thought but a sobering one .

As a member of the ,, sudden overboard club ,, at speed About 30 years ago and had I not been wearing one and a fellow crew member saw me go in
I doubt that I would have survived , I was totally disorientated /winded / in shock and had my left shoulder discolated .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 15:34   #25
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Oi, Irish rib nobber, do you mean PFD and not PDF?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 15:44   #26
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Oi, Irish rib nobber, do you mean PFD and not PDF?
Yes Puddin', I did, and it was worrying me. However, now that you have registered your concern, I can activate me Mod levers without fear of Administatorial Reprisal...

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 08:58   #27
Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohelm View Post
I am actually suprised it is not a legal requirement to wear a lifejacket in any fast open motorboats in the UK? Driving around when it is POSSIBLE to operate the boat while standing up in the Netherlands as well as not having lifejackets 'grab ready ' for all on board will will mean a huge fine..(and the waterrozzers DO check)
I'm sure there's a Dutch RIB manufacturer that is always getting stick about not wearing lifejackets in their photos and videos on here ............
__________________
Cookee
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 09:50   #28
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I'm sure there's a Dutch RIB manufacturer that is always getting stick about not wearing lifejackets in their photos and videos on here ............
Yes there is - I was being Diplomatically Forgetful.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 11:05   #29
Member
 
steco1958's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 680
Have a look at this:

__________________
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 11:41   #30
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
That looked crazy dangerous, but I don't think a rib would stern flip like that.
__________________

__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.