Old 25 April 2003, 17:05   #1

Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin 225
Wearing a lifejacket

I think most people would agree that something is better than nothing.

I was reading the article on peoples views on wearing a lifejacket and would like to hear some of yours.

Do you only wear one when it is a bit rough?

Do you wear an auto gas or manual lifejacket or one with foam in?

Also I have been studing for a talk I am giving on water rescue, I have been reading up on the medical side of drowning and came accross this statistic "the majority of drowning deaths following accidental immersion in open water below 15 degrees is within the first 3 minutes of entry" this fact has nothing to do with hypothermia!

Your views,

Mike

Old 25 April 2003, 17:14   #2

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Mike all these toppics have been discussed in this forum.
Click on search and you'll find the answers you want
Cheers

Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2003, 17:14   #3
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
Hi Mike,
I wear one all the time. I also prefer the auto inflate version.

My view is that if I go in and the water is 10 degrees, I am going to have enough of a job trying to breath let alone fiddle for some small toggle with gloves on while I sink to the bottom.

Fingers crossed haven't needed it yet!!

Graeme
Old 25 April 2003, 18:11   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Delta
Engine: Twin 225
ozz do you wear a survival suit with your lifejacket?
Old 25 April 2003, 18:18   #5
ozz

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: bojangles
Make: scorpion
Engine: yanmar
No, I try not to go out in anything too rough, just have waterproofs and so far that has been fine. Trouble I find is that when I take mates along they don't have the gear so it restricts you a bit. I might get some when I get some more experience and start going on longer trips.

As Manos says, there is a lot of stuff on here about life jackets etc - well worth having a trawl through.
Old 26 April 2003, 07:01   #6

Town: Hamble, Southampton
Make: Avon (Sea Rider)
Length: 4m
Engine: 50 Merc
Send a message via AIM to Stuart Mecham
I wear a wet suit and a life jacket all the time. unless i am just bobbing up and down a river.
Old 26 April 2003, 07:26   #7

Town: Cheltenham
I wear a gas life jacket whenever out on the boat and you dont get in myboat unless you are wearing a bouyancy aid/ jacket of the right type, in good condition and worn correctly.

That is:
a. zipped up buoyancy aid with knot or clip used if available
b. with the webbing correctly fitting so that you can get 2-3 fingers through the waist. as tight as you can be comfortably.
If its loose it could go over your head when you wave your arms for help! (do a pool sesion sea servival course to fing out what works)

I use a manual as I dont want it to go off acidentally when driving, and therefore accept the higher risks.

If your buying kit for the less experianced and passengers I would recomend an automatic. They have improved since I bought mine.

If you can get an auto with a spray hood its worth it, as it stops the water jumping down your throat as you lie in a way that the water hits you in the face (you can read up on that somewhere i'm sure)

As for the cold, well you need to get through the first 10 -30 seconds of cold shock,
I don't know the whole science. its not hyperthermia, (that takes a bit of time, its exposure), with cold shock you hyperventerlate as your body automatically tries to warm you by shivering and cutting non core functions and the body needs oxygen so you then can drink lots of water as you dont have much control. Its apparently what kill most people at sea. Certainly in the war and back to the Titanic they knew that.

As a side line, a friend on expedition near glaciers and ice bergs told his group that if they spent 4 mins in the water they would prob be dead, but thats glacier run off at just above 0c and not many people get to do that.

Tiger
Old 26 April 2003, 15:15   #8

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I always wear a lifejacket and as I am likely to enter the water at speed I decided on a Auto. I also attach my kill cord to it.

Nobody gets on my boat without an LJ and I carry enough for all the seats. Don't buy secondhand ones.
Old 26 April 2003, 16:00   #9

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
Same here - auto inflating lifejackets for me and one other, and we have buoyancy aids for any additional crew that we may carry.

The kill cord gets attached to the harness on my lifejacket, and I carry a second kill cord too, just incase I go over and take the main one with me, which would render the boat useless if there was crew with me and wanted to get back to get me out

-Alex
Old 26 April 2003, 16:18   #10

Town: Salisbury
Length: 5m +
L J

Finally got round to purchasing following life jacket

http://www.aladdinscave.co.uk/main/p...eanpassage.htm

Made by crewsaver , has Hammar auto inflation , internal harness, light and most importantly I think is a spray hood.

I also think a drysuit is a must in colder conditions to protect you from initial shock , so I now need to think about buying one but they are somewhat more expensive. Forking out 300 quid for something I will use infrequently can be hard to justify.