Old 24 March 2006, 15:22   #1

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
We Need More Laws

Obviously we need more laws http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-pr...3AA&m=3&y=2006 .
Andy
Old 24 March 2006, 15:40   #2

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
gets lonely out there
Old 24 March 2006, 20:21   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I think you are right Andy. This week the result of an inquest revealed the cause of death of some pleasure boaters in Loch Fyne, in Argyll revealed they were 2 or 3 times over the drink drive limit, when they hit rocks. If you are going to cruise around in the dark at 25 kts with a skinful, you are an idiot.

I like a drink, but I dont mess with mother nature, nor put my crew or passengers & friends, as a pleasure skipper, in any danger. I have superior knowledge of the sea to them, and I convey them from A to B using those skills which are learned from the school of life. I should be allowed to enjoy a glass of wine or similar myself whilst enjoying a social trip, but stop at that, before imbibing more than what is accepted as a drink drive rule, for the preservation of my vessel and its precious cargo.

The Idiots that are on station on any vessel who disregard these rules do so to the detriment of their crew, their cargo, the environment, and others who must navigate around their incompetance, Rules for alcohol can't come soon enough.
Old 24 March 2006, 21:15   #4
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
This was truely a tragic accident and all the more poignant for those of us who know Tarbert well.

Historically alcohol and sailing have always gone hand-in-hand, and there have undoubtedly been many unecessary fatalities where drinking has been a sginificant factor.

I fervently hope that at long last this custom will be outlawed and that consumption of alcohol will be confined to the shore.
Old 24 March 2006, 22:18   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
What about a skipper who jumps in his little tender to go back to his moored yacht after a few bevvies in a waterside pub???
Old 24 March 2006, 22:55   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I might be wrong but I think there was a tone of sarcasm in Andy Gee's original post. If the law doesn't stop a professional mariner do we really expect it to make a difference to a pleasure boater?
Old 24 March 2006, 23:07   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
I might be wrong but I think there was a tone of sarcasm in Andy Gee's original post. If the law doesn't stop a professional mariner do we really expect it to make a difference to a pleasure boater?

That was the impression I had which is why I didn't reply......

I assume he was pointing this out to show the laws needed are already there!!!
Old 25 March 2006, 00:55   #8

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: drinking and navigating

All one really has to do is give over the helm to a sober skipper and then instruct that individual if they are unfamilar with water hazards reefs,etc.
No one should experience tragedy on the water due to alcohol, such a voluntary thing in life where so many things are beyond one's control. I have many times skippered a boat when others wanted to party, not drinking at all. It is not that hard and not any sacrifice when weighed against the safety of friends, loved ones, or any person for that matter, no quantity of drinks is worth a life, doesn't mean you can't drink, just be sensible about it.
Old 25 March 2006, 12:07   #9

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Spot on , if the existing laws for commercial skippers, that also allow for prison sentences and loss of certification that has probably taken years to get don't work then HTF can they make a new law to cover pleasure skippers that may or maynot even have a licence.

The Tarbert incident was indeed very sobering as JIY says more so when you have been in there many times and also know to see the guy's involved. IMHO I feel that there has to be some mutual ground found for pleasure users, currently as I understand it the coasties can "request" you to stay until a Police officer comes to breathilise you, but I'm not sure what happens if you fail.
Andy