Old 31 July 2012, 12:22   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: TwoGees
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser diesel
wave-action.co.cc

Anyone had any dealings with this website selling ribs and other boats and bits? Seems a tad dubious to me, but maybe I am being unfair.
Old 31 July 2012, 12:54   #2

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
.co.cc is a red flag to me, any time i sew that i triple check everything.

I know nothing of this site but would be wary, nothing in "about us" , nothing in "Contact"

No way to check who it is your dealing with.
Old 31 July 2012, 14:00   #3

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
cc.cc, co.cc, cu.cc

They are not official hierarchies; they are domains owned by companies who offers free registration of subdomains.

[edit] com.cc, net.cc, edu.cc, org.cc

There are also these second-level domain names maintained by CoCCA. They removed it from their website, but it is still possible to register third-level domain names.

[edit] co.cc

The CO.CC company offers two free co.cc subdomains, as well as bulk discounts for ordering as many as 15,000 domain names at a time. These domains have been used by spammers to create spam blogs, or "splogs," often with nonsense names like "extensitiesdiminutal.co.cc" and the like but all registrants are in fact subject to a terms of service prohibiting standard illegalities.

Step-by-step instructions for registrants on how to use well known hosting services like Blogger, Windows Live, and Google Apps are included on its homepage.

Due to previously large use by website spammers of sub-domains from co.cc, in July 2011 Google removed over 11 million .co.cc websites from its search results. Google's JohnMu recommended that individuals who have legitimate sites (in line with Google's Webmaster Guidelines) on the .co.cc subdomain send a reconsideration request to Google to have their specific site excluded from the ban.[2][3][4][5]

The abundance of cheap .co.cc domains has also been used by those who sell fake "anti-virus" programs.[6]
Old 31 July 2012, 14:01   #4

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
cant even get to it from my work laptop

SECURITY THREAT DETECTED AND BLOCKED
Based on Cisco security threat information, access to the web site Wave Action - New & used outboards, boats, jet skis, sWave Actioning goods & more at low prices! has been blocked by the Web Security Appliance (WSA) to prevent an attack on your browser. The Cisco Security Intelligence Operations (CSIO) Web Reputation Score for this site indicates that it is associated with malware/spyware, and poses a security threat to your computer or the corporate network.
Old 31 July 2012, 14:49   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Anyone had any dealings with this website selling ribs and other boats and bits? Seems a tad dubious to me, but maybe I am being unfair.
You should read the "sticky Thread" at the top of the forum that you posted this query in: Linky
Old 01 August 2012, 22:18   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: TwoGees
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser diesel
thanks everyone. I am convinced; too good to be true