Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Water Ski Insurance worth it?

Hello everyone,

Recently taken up waterskiing as some of you are aware and have spotted that my insurance policy with Noble Marine doesnt cover skiers but is available as an add on.

I'm looking at adding it on but was wondering if its actually worth the extra money as i'm struggling to find out what the extra money actually covers.

From the small pop up box on the insurance website it states it covers someone else up to 1 million if i cause an accident whilst towing. Does that mean if they or indeed I fall over and break a leg etc and cant work it covers that, or is it simply if i end up towing them into a pier i'm covered when they come after my house????? I'm confused (doesnt take much though)

Anyone else have skiiers insurance or had the unfortunate need to use it at any point.

Thanks.
Old 25 November 2011, 16:11   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
The waterski/ watertoys extension or cover on any policy will extend your cover to any third party you injure or cause damage to.

Not getting into what constitutes liability , but it will also cover if the skier holds you responsible for towing them in to said pier ! (and they suffer in jury/ or property damage) .

Its why the 'toys' extension is generally not as common ( before anyone shouts up - yes it is included as standard on some).

Is it worth it - yes and no ! ....I've seen skiers hit boats and its really not a nice thing - people tend to snap/dent just as easily as boats ...and imagine 14stone hitting a boat at speed ..... think what people do to steel car bodywork ......

Of course if you are acting in what is deemed to be a 'reasonable' way you cannot be held liable - but you may have to pay in a court room to prove it. Either that or your insurer decides its cheaper to pay a few grand for them to 'go way' rather then risk court/legal fees....

I've towed/ski'd uninured as I know & trust myself/ the skier well....

Its your call in the end ...

Hope that helps ....

PS - wont pay a penny if you brea your own leg , but you may have a small amount or personal accident cover ( £10k- £20k ) on the policy which 'may' pay out.
Old 25 November 2011, 17:47   #3

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
you also need to be sure of the cover as 'toys' doesnt include skiers - thats different agin, though im not sure why!
Old 25 November 2011, 18:04   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
I don't think the noble policy covers towing toys, you do that at your own risk, that's what I was told when I took my insurance with them.
Old 25 November 2011, 18:50   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Thanks for in depth reply peter. Makes perfect sense. Well for sake of a tank of fuel i might as well have the cover even though i am bloody careful when out, unlike some i see.

And yes your quite right noble only covers skiers and not toys for some reason.

We were thinking about a toy as the father in laws knees won't cope with skiing because of the continued pressure on them when upright so might need a change of insurer to get all the cover.

I think noble wanted 40 quid a year for the cover.

Thanks chaps

Sent from my galaxy s2
Old 26 November 2011, 08:20   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: ship called DIGNATTY
Make: Europa Sport 3.3m
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
Send a message via Skype™ to Natalie123
[QUOTE=actions;431385]Hello everyone,

Recently taken up waterskiing as some of you are aware and have spotted that my insurance policy with Noble Marine doesnt cover skiers but is available as an add on.

I'm looking at adding it on but was wondering if its actually worth the extra money as i'm struggling to find out what the extra money actually covers.

From the small pop up box on the insurance website it states it covers someone else up to 1 million if i cause an accident whilst towing. Does that mean if they or indeed I fall over and break a leg etc and cant work it covers that, or is it simply if i end up towing them into a pier i'm covered when they come after my house????? I'm confused (doesnt take much though)

Anyone else have skiiers insurance or had the unfortunate need to use it at any point.

Thanks.[/QUOTE

Depends on the wording of the policy what it actually covers!! To me this appears to be passenger and third party cover for personal injury/damage to property that you cause. It will probably cover the person you are towing or should they knock into someone else/damage property etc.... it will probably cover you if that person pursues a claim against you!!

If such an incident did arise and damages awarded then if you did not have insurance in place you could end up hungry and homeless!!

I hope this helps.
Old 26 November 2011, 08:35   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Worth being aware that some such policies have specific requirements for the type of pfd / impact vest to be worn by the skiers.

Two other questions I have wondered:

If the owner (policy holder) is being towed on his own boat by a friend or family member and gets hurt is he considered a 3rd party?

If you don't take the cover and have an accident whilst towing the skier, but its actually your boat that crashes not the skiers are you covered?
Old 26 November 2011, 09:57   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: Grimalkin
Make: Ribcraft 750 Sport
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 250
MMSI: 235050647
The answer is to have a good policy. Mine (with Haven Knox-Johnston) provides cover of £3m (with £200.00 excess in each case) for inland and coastal waters between the Rhine and La Rochelle (expressly including that part of the Channel that isn't coastal) for each of:

* Third Party Liability
* Liability to or incurred by water skiers
* Liability to or incurred by water toys being towed

The premium is currently £480.00 following a £3,800.00 claim last year for gear-box damage. I await renewal in January to see what the premium will be following a second gear-box damage claim this year for £4,300.00! Both claims paid within two weeks of being submitted, however.
Old 26 November 2011, 17:58   #9

Thanks for the replies. Polwart you raise some good points which i will speak to the insurance about.

I shall also look at some other insurers out there as noble marine don't cover toys for some strange reason.

Sent from my galaxy s2
Old 27 November 2011, 13:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Worth being aware that some such policies have specific requirements for the type of pfd / impact vest to be worn by the skiers.

Two other questions I have wondered:

If the owner (policy holder) is being towed on his own boat by a friend or family member and gets hurt is he considered a 3rd party?

If you don't take the cover and have an accident whilst towing the skier, but its actually your boat that crashes not the skiers are you covered?
1st question - nope - you cant hold yourself liable ( as the policy holder)to damage injury to yourself ( also the policy holder) .

2nd question - in the past insurers may have taken the view that did the fact you were pulling a skier influence the claim in any way -if not they may pay have paid it , nowadays they are far more liekly to say 'not covered' you were skiing - its clealry excluded - even if the skiing bit had nothing to do with it .....

but as said read your policy wording , then read it again .....

Insurance is what I do- & trust me if its a valid claim it willl be paid -(Avocet a good example - see you next weekend...) if it out of the policy wording then cross fingers and assume the worst .....
Old 27 November 2011, 15:54   #11

Cheers peter. In which case i will add it on. For the sake of a few extra quid i might as well and have complete peace of mind.

Sent from my galaxy s2
Old 28 November 2011, 10:09   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
1st question - nope - you cant hold yourself liable ( as the policy holder)to damage injury to yourself ( also the policy holder) .
That's what I expected. Does the same logic apply if my wife (named driver on my car policy) knocks me over in the car?
Old 28 November 2011, 10:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
That's what I expected. Does the same logic apply if my wife (named driver on my car policy) knocks me over in the car?
Yep - fraid so ....tell her her plan wont work ...she'll just end up with a dented car ...but if you've life insurance and she finishes you off properly that will pay out !!!