Old 16 November 2015, 21:39   #11

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
The appears to be the deck drain if I am looking at it correct? If so there should be a lower hull drain plug that can be removed and will drain the hull cavity. Can you post a photo that shows a larger area of the transom?

www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2015, 00:43   #12

Town: Seattle
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
The appears to be the deck drain if I am looking at it correct? If so there should be a lower hull drain plug that can be removed and will drain the hull cavity. Can you post a photo that shows a larger area of the transom?
So this ended up being the lower hull cavity.

this specific transom has a left and right cavity thats somehow split and isolated and it has 2 drain plugs, one each side underneath the left and right tubes on the transom..

I blew compressed air into the drilled holes and i could feel all the compressed air escape through the drain plugs.. poured water into the drain plugs and it ran out of the drilled holes.. so seems OK and by design..

also drilled a larger hole further up, closer to the engine and hit solid balsa.. phew!!

bizarre hull / transom design..

Old 18 November 2015, 11:21   #13

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Could be 2 things happening:

Hopefully, the drilled hole, and the drain holes, go through the transom into the bilge. Blowing air into one hole ends up in the bilge, and comes back out the other hole.

Worst case, the wood (if there was wood) in the transom is gone, and the two holes are connected because there's not enough material left to support two holes, and the air blown in is making a U-turn inside the transom itself.

One question I've got (curiosity more than anything): Is the bilge cavity actually compartmentalised? Or did they drop a drain on either side of a raised keel structure to make sure you could drain stuff? Your air test would tell that by blowing air into one drain hole and seeing if it escapes the other one.

jky
Old 18 November 2015, 12:47   #14

Town: Connecticut
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
The base of that transom does not have wood in it from what I recall when i removed the deck on mine. The wood in the transom started at about level with the deck.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2015, 02:16   #15

Town: Seattle
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
One question I've got (curiosity more than anything): Is the bilge cavity actually compartmentalised? Or did they drop a drain on either side of a raised keel structure to make sure you could drain stuff? Your air test would tell that by blowing air into one drain hole and seeing if it escapes the other one.
Yes, bilge cavity is compartmentalized, blowing air into one side does not let it come out the other.