Old 17 April 2017, 22:00   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Water proof camera

I have a go-pro but the super wide angle and lack of zoom means interesting stuff is a mere spec in the distance unless I run over it! Can any recommend a cheap point and shoot digital camera than won't be ruined by a dunk in the sea and I can take out use in spray etc to capture some pictures with risk of ruining it, results of me using my phone in aqua pack case are limited quality and fiddly or should I just buy a better phone case?

Looking at a Panasonic it gets very misused reviews especially when used under water supposed to be good for 10m but seems to fail....
Old 17 April 2017, 22:47   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I have a go-pro but the super wide angle and lack of zoom means interesting stuff is a mere spec in the distance unless I run over it! Can any recommend a cheap point and shoot digital camera than won't be ruined by a dunk in the sea and I can take out use in spray etc to capture some pictures with risk of ruining it, results of me using my phone in aqua pack case are limited quality and fiddly or should I just buy a better phone case?

Looking at a Panasonic it gets very misused reviews especially when used under water supposed to be good for 10m but seems to fail....

Olympus TG4
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2017, 01:09   #3

Town: Dublin
We use a Fuji compact, the zoom is internal.
So far it has been sailing, kayaking and ribbing. Still works fine and the standard jpegs are quite good.
Old 18 April 2017, 02:15   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Maybe Weve just had bad luck but we've had 3 Olympus cameras flood, two GoPro's, one Nikon and one canon due to my daughter leaving the battery door not fully locked.

There are plenty of reviews out there and as Pikey Dave mentions the TG4 will be at the top of most reviews ( this wasn't the model we've had issues with ) however it is at the high end of compacts in cost. The TG4 though waterproof also has an additional waterproof housing doubling the safety.

We are involved in many different marine surveys, much of which is simply snorkelling in depths from 2m to 20m. The camera we've been very happy with for natural colours and ease of use has been the canon d30 which is still going strong after hundreds of dives. We also use GoPro's and a pair of Sony rx 100 mk2's in housings.

None of the compacts have overly big zooms but the canon mounted on the A frame at the back of our rib does make filming our boat in action look more like it does to the human eye rather than like you say everything a spec in the distance.

There doesn't seem to of been much in the way of overal improvements in these tough cameras for the last few years so for myself if I was buying another now I would get another canon d30 even though there are a heap of things I would love to see improved.
Old 18 April 2017, 04:28   #5

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Depending on how good your phone camera is there's some good waterproof floating phone cases out there.

To name one 'hitcase' is waterproof and mountable like a GoPro
Old 18 April 2017, 12:12   #6

Town: Reading
Make: Humber Assault
Engine: Mariner 40hp
We've had a few waterproof cameras and waterproof housings for cameras over the years including GoPro's. We purchased an Panasonic Lumix FT5 a couple of years ago for a job we normally use GoPro's for and were really impressed. Both photo and video quality was on a par if not better than the GoPro. Zoom wise its 4.6x but any waterproof camera is going to be limited with zoom.
Old 18 April 2017, 13:52   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've had a Lumix FT3 for a few years now and it's still working despite regular dunkings and general abuse.
Old 18 April 2017, 20:55   #8

I was t planning on diving with it, but very possibly swimming will have a look, don't want to spend loads but don't want to miss out on what hopefully will be a cracking trip. Normally it's the go pro and phone in aquapac but these are limited.
Old 18 April 2017, 21:30   #9

These 2 have caught my eye:
Polaroid IE09 £60 at Argos cheap but any good? Or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Underwater-...ZQCQYEAKN8QKF8
Used/refurb ft30 at £80-105 my guess is the ft30 is worth the extra....

Don't want to spend over £100 really as I have a lot of other expenses for the trip.......
Old 19 April 2017, 07:38   #10

Length: 7m +
I have a Go-Pro hero 4 and in the settings menu there are 3 lens angles to choose from, wide, not so wide and standard. The settings are not that easy to access but may help you if you can find them? I use the wide when snorkelling and standard setting when the Go-Pro is mounted on the A-Frame.
Works a treat!
Old 19 April 2017, 18:23   #11

Still to wide on the go pro I use the standard view not superview all the time
Old 19 April 2017, 21:39   #12

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

Panasonic lumix DMC -FT20 iv'e had this camera few years now & never failed
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 16:39   #13

Was about to order the Panasonic as saw a good deal on one Under 3100 then spotted an old Kodak on ebay had a cheeky bid and for £15 delivered i'll see how it goes, if its not great i will give it to some kids or ebay it back again!

IT got decent reviews when it was new (some 5 years ago) and runs on AA battery's and uses old school big SD cards which i have a few of kicking around...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-EasyS.../dp/B004MMF7MS