Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 29 February 2016, 03:25   #1

Town: Los Gatos
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115
Water pouring from elephant trunk on exit

This might be a total noob question so please excuse me if it is... I have a Zodiac Hurricane 590 and I always tie up the elephant trunks before I launch however I notice after about 30 min in the water, the mid-hull is full of water. So, when I stop quickly it sloshes out of the cable pass hole under the console. Is that normal?

When I take it out of the water (with the trunks still up), I can see water coming back out of anywhere.... yet when I let the trunks down, I get a pretty large amount of water pouring out.

Anyone help?
Old 29 February 2016, 06:56   #2

Length: 7m +
Have you determined what the water is that is coming out ? Is it salt water or fresh water, sounds like water getting into the hull, if its fresh water then perhaps due to rain and then coming out when your underway, if salt water then does your rib have some sort of salt water pick up for a ballast tank ? or if not you must have a hole in the hull somewhere ?

Its normal for ribs to have fresh water build up from rain, if heavy downpours over a period of time it can look a lot coming out, I know when mine has been on dry stack for a period of time and its been raining a lot when I take the drain plug out it can drain for a few minutes and looks excessive but there is also an amount of water from washing the boat down after use that also builds up.
Old 29 February 2016, 07:49   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Water in your hull isn't normal. You need to work out where its coming from.
Old 29 February 2016, 10:10   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Drain bung missing?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2016, 17:01   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by openhelix View Post
This might be a total noob question so please excuse me if it is... I have a Zodiac Hurricane 590 and I always tie up the elephant trunks before I launch however I notice after about 30 min in the water, the mid-hull is full of water. So, when I stop quickly it sloshes out of the cable pass hole under the console. Is that normal?

When I take it out of the water (with the trunks still up), I can see water coming back out of anywhere.... yet when I let the trunks down, I get a pretty large amount of water pouring out.

Anyone help?
How are the elephants trunks attached ?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2016, 18:08   #6

Thanks everyone. Trunks are attached with two hose clamps per trunk and they hold water when the boat on the trailer (before I let them down and let the water out).

Main drain bung is in and it seems to be a different "chamber" than the maybe half up that comes from there when I take it out.

Boat was confirms dry before I put it in. The day before I had run some cabling under the floor (where the water sloshes from) and it was dry as a bone before I launched.

Could it be a sealing issue between the collar/sponsons and the hull? I don't see anywhere else water could be getting in (no holes in the hull). And when on the trailer after getting taken out, the boat holds the water in the hull perfectly before I let the trunks down. I even toweled off the hull to see if I could see water coming out anywhere and not a drop. :-/
Old 29 February 2016, 19:08   #7

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Check the tube attachment straps, I've seen three now with a small amount lifted and thats enough to inject water from the transom which was flowing out at the bow while underway

I've just found a video of one of our trips to Alderney, this boat had a lifted seam near the transom and you can see the result in the film.
Old 29 February 2016, 19:09   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by openhelix View Post
Could it be a sealing issue between the collar/sponsons and the hull?
It could be. What about your anchor locker? where does it drain? How is the bow-eye fitted? My guess though be that its getting in the same way it gets out - via the cable ducting?

In the sailing dinghy world people find leaks by attaching a pump/bellows to the drain bung and going round with soapy water (like you would for the sponson or a bike tube).
Old 29 February 2016, 19:13   #9

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Hi

I don't know if you have the manual for your boat. Here's the link.
Only read after a good sleep and a cup of coffee, the plot is not very engaging

http://jsca.bc.ca/wp/wp-content/uplo...cal-Manual.pdf

Anyway, there is a description of the trunks. They have a non-return flapper valve within them. Worth checking if they are operating correctly and sealing, thus avoiding reverse flow and water ingress into the bilges from the sea. One of them may be worn or simply compromised by foreign matter on the sealing surface.

There is also a schematic of the hull. I'd start at one end and work through what the manufacturers installed in terms of bungs etc.
Then see if any "improvements" were installed by any previous owners the boat had.

Hope this helps you.
Old 06 March 2016, 01:09   #10

Thanks @Iron_Dials! I grabbed that and printed it out a couple weeks ago. SUPER useful!!

I had been out of town but I got back last night and I don't see anywhere it really could be coming in save two possibilities.

1 - The bow eye (where the trailer winch attaches) may need to be sealed. Since it's on the trailer I can't tell but is it usually above or below water at rest?

2 - the tube attachment area as @Whisper suggested

@Iron_Dials - I reached up the trunks and no non-return flapper valve. I've always had the trunks "up" for that reason while in the water. Is there a way to add/replace the flapper valve or should I just keep them tied up all the time?

Thanks guys!
Old 06 March 2016, 06:31   #11

Town: Dublin
Length: no boat
Glad you found it useful.

As for the valve thingy, I just read it in the book so dont know enough about it beyond that.
I'm guessing trunks up is fine, it works for most boats.
Old 07 March 2016, 21:22   #12

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
As a first rib owner myself I am in danger of looking silly but hey ho if you don,t ask you never know , so , when I bought my first rib I was told to run with the trunks down to enable all splashing deck water to drain away instantly ,the water making its way to the drain plug area was minimal and as with the zodiac there is a float switch operated bilge pump to take care of this ,surely the only water there should be in the boat if everything is working is below the float switch ,with regard to the trunks there is no valve as such ,just cleverly works a bit like a wet plastic bag ,only water approaching from the open round end (inside the boat) can open the flat end !
Old 08 March 2016, 06:46   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
have the trunks got work hardened [gone stiff] so they dont bend and seal when the boat is at rest. are they long enough to be above water when stood.if there held on with jubilee clips why not take them off and fit some flat lay hose on as a trial.
have the trunks got holes in under the jubilee clips.

cheers